• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

In A Libertarian state how would the poor survive?

Niall

I know they are some who would consider themselves libertarians here which is fine as there is elements I and am sure many others can admire.

However one issue I have always been perplexed by and an accusation aimed at the movement is, Libertarians offers nothing for the poor and most vulnerable in the world. This thread was inspired by a chap who is aiming to represent the LP party in 2020 who is adamant the welfare state needs to die as obviously those that depend on it will all instantly go get well paid jobs. :wacko:

Feedback appreciated.:D

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I know they are some who would consider themselves libertarians here which is fine as there is elements I and am sure many others can admire.

However one issue I have always been perplexed by and an accusation aimed at the movement is, Libertarians offers nothing for the poor and most vulnerable in the world. This thread was inspired by a chap who is aiming to represent the LP party in 2020 who is adamant the welfare state needs to die as obviously those that depend on it will all instantly go get well paid jobs. :wacko:

Feedback appreciated.:D
An accusation that is often aimed at the moon is that it is made out of cheese.

Niall

An accusation that is often aimed at the moon is that it is made out of cheese.
Fair point, just curious to see if I can some decent debate going. Probably would have helped if the OP was a little better.:)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
To be fair, you're actually right. In many ways Libertarianism does offer nothing to the poor. But it offers that same "nothing" to everybody else as well, which is basically its appeal.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also just ftr, I would not identify as a libertarian myself., though I probably ascribe to more of its core tenets than any other comparable ideology. I am not sure what I would identify myself as quite frankly. Just sledger/some idiot I guess.

zorax

likes this
I think the answer is that private charities would be set up by individuals out of the goodness of their heart and these would operate far more efficiently than government welfare systems

Ikki

In short: you will create a society that will be so rich so as to provide the bare minimums most cost effectively and also that charities will take up the slack for those that have serious issues. I haven't studied it in depth but Milton Friedman claimed that most of the eleemosynary and protection societies were born out of these rich, freer, times.

It means to live in reality: there will never be a utopia, even as government takes over more functions it does not guarantee that there will be no more poor people - and in the long run it creates a dependence that guarantees poor people.

If not for capitalism, most of the world would still be largely poor. It is the greatest creator of wealth and it is evidenced by the fact that even the poorest in the most capitalistic countries (or traditionally capitalistic) live significantly better than most of the world and most people that have ever existed in history. The question is really: would you rather have a bigger piece of a small pie or a smaller piece of a big pie? Inherent in that point is that in order to create prosperity, you need to allow people to create and do things which allows them to build up the capital to do more great things - this is a value added for everyone, even if those at the top get richer. If you don't do that, only the government will ever have enough capital to be able to do significant things and it will do a far smaller number of them at a far greater cost.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Lot of upcoming road construction and aviation design projects coming up from what I hear.

Burgey

I think the answer is that private charities would be set up by individuals out of the goodness of their heart and these would operate far more efficiently than government welfare systems
The problem with charity is in giving to any particular cause you’re deciding who or what is and isn’t worthy of your valuable, scarce $1 a month.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The best time was when cribb and I made fake profiles on plentyoffish and posed as libertarian girls

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
In short: you will create a society that will be so rich so as to provide the bare minimums most cost effectively and also that charities will take up the slack for those that have serious issues. I haven't studied it in depth but Milton Friedman claimed that most of the eleemosynary and protection societies were born out of these rich, freer, times.

It means to live in reality: there will never be a utopia, even as government takes over more functions it does not guarantee that there will be no more poor people - and in the long run it creates a dependence that guarantees poor people.
I see.

straw man

How would the poor survive? Well if they were lucky, their master might allow them a small plot of earth on which to till turnips to feed themselves and their family, plus you can always catch a few mice for protein.

As long as those mice aren't the property of anyone else, as that is theft.

harsh.ag

How would the poor survive? Well if they were lucky, their master might allow them a small plot of earth on which to till turnips to feed themselves and their family, plus you can always catch a few mice for protein.

As long as those mice aren't the property of anyone else, as that is theft.
Damn straight

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The amount of desperate guys totally willing to become libertarians even after we framed it terribly was pretty eye opening.
It's funny that Shri liked his post given the thread he started about religion recently, and hendrix's summary of that OP.