• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jeff Bezos

malwareUFO

Yeah indeed, this sort of thing is very possible.

Generally speaking though, laws in the EU (and even the US I think) would define this sort of behaviour as anti-competitive or unlawful on some other basis, and then fine the hell out of Huawei's Western offices etc.

But it's certainly an issue.
That would be impractical in my opinion. I think you're talking about embedding rules at the hardware level of devices like the network interface card and I would suspect requires cracking third-party components. Sounds expensive and exhaustive. The better option is what they've done with China Telecom by hijacking the internet backbone using the Border Gateway Protocol to redirect traffic to China Telecom Autonomous Systems to steal unencrypted data or store encrypted data for later decryption. Theoretically they would be able to block traffic to Taiwanese content, but why bother when you have the capacity to sway large swaths of public opinion by weaponizing social media to promote your interests without being forthcoming to who you are? For example, Russian interference in elections.

Spark

Global Moderator
Theoretically they would be able to block traffic to Taiwanese content, but why bother when you have the capacity to sway large swaths of public opinion by weaponizing social media to promote your interests without being forthcoming to who you are?
that hasn't really been their style thus far

malwareUFO

that hasn't really been their style thus far
Yeah, I agree but it's not outside the realm of their capacity to do. If you're trying to persuade populations to take a position, the easiest and most successful way to do that is to social engineer them, not block access to internet content. These are the most successful campaigns when adversaries attempt to breach organizations. They aren't always exploiting some nuanced protocol or code in an application, they're usually getting people to click on a malicious link.

Last edited:

Daemon

That would be impractical in my opinion. I think you're talking about embedding rules at the hardware level of devices like the network interface card and I would suspect requires cracking third-party components. Sounds expensive and exhaustive. The better option is what they've done with China Telecom by hijacking the internet backbone using the Border Gateway Protocol to redirect traffic to China Telecom Autonomous Systems to steal unencrypted data or store encrypted data for later decryption. Theoretically they would be able to block traffic to Taiwanese content, but why bother when you have the capacity to sway large swaths of public opinion by weaponizing social media to promote your interests without being forthcoming to who you are? For example, Russian interference in elections.
Can someone translate this

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Maybe. Similar rules for this sort of thing exist in the EU though.Though they are geared towards enhancing privacy and data protection rather than censorship etc. But "by design" laws etc. are very much a thing.

malwareUFO

Maybe. Similar rules for this sort of thing exist in the EU though.Though they are geared towards enhancing privacy and data protection rather than censorship etc. But "by design" laws etc. are very much a thing.
I think it would be a calculated risk on the part of China, deciding to implement some type of latent firewall on devices. EU Laws governing privacy rights and whatever else that would concern building backdoors would hopefully be a deterrent against malicious practices like that, but they fail to stop China's existing practices in building backdoors in network infrastructure appliances and kick in after the fact. The laws are good and I particularly appreciate the updated rules in the GDPR and they are a great deterrent. My point was that I don't see China doing something along the lines of blocking traffic to internet content for any devices outside of their national firewall, it's just too impractical. I see them being cleverer than that and doing something to aggravate the GDPR and other compliance regulations.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He's being slightly facetious, but just making the very sensible point that wherever you are in the world the state will have coercive powers to extract certain compliance/behaviours from you in the event of your non-performance with something they have decided they want you to do.

It's obviously particularly bad in China, but it would be folly to assume it does not occur elsewhere in quantitatively and qualitatively different ways.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's definitely more pronounced in China - I'm not trying to downplay how ****ed up it is in China - but that sentence sledger quoted is true wherever a state exists at all. It's not really a particularly interesting way of framing the bad situation in China given how universal that truth is.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It is re: the role of telecoms companies etc. imo. It's difficult to think of anything directly comparable worldwide at the moment, that we know of anyway. Very overt.

Top_Cat

It was pretty easy a decade ago to track people via intercepts and various intel systems we had. Unimaginable the toys intel operators have at their fingertips now.