• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jeff Bezos

Victor Ian

Is death really all that bad though? How will a computer you occupy itself for eternity?
You would likely upload yourself into your own computer with a robot body and have yourself backed up in the cloud. If you ever break your robot, this cloud will be the new heaven.

Victor Ian

Imagine if you don't have a body and someone unplugs you from the internet.
You are just in stasis until plugged back in... Or dead if not. Either way, I am interested in the rights of a hypothetical somethingborg. Does it have the right to airtime? Also interested in the choices. Is it better to be in a virtual world or in the real world with a body? If I can upload, it's not long until I can download into someone else's body. I just need a constant source of brain deads. Been done to death in sci-fi, but still interesting.

Cow

Banned
I worry about the direction China is going in terms of state surveillance/compliance. Becoming a full on dystopian Orwellian nightmare.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't doubt you do a lot of not thinking, but I assure you, this is a topic on which I have a fairly serviceable level of knowledge.

Cow

Banned
I don't doubt you do a lot of not thinking, but I assure you, this is a topic on which I have a fairly serviceable level of knowledge.
It's down to technology not just the will of the communist party. For the first time in 4 millennia we are entering a society without a tangible currency (coins, cash)... therefore it's gonna be so much easier for institutions and governments to control, monitor and dictate people's lives if they so choose. Which is China, it appears they will.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's down to technology not just the will of the communist party. For the first time in 4 millennia we are entering a society without a tangible currency (coins, cash)... therefore it's gonna be so much easier for institutions and governments to control, monitor and dictate people's lives if they so choose. Which is China, it appears they will.
Yeah no ****ing ****. You make it sound like this hasn't been happening for ages already.

It's not "gonna" be anything. It already is, and has been for some time.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah no ****ing ****. You make it sound like this hasn't been happening for ages already.

It's not "gonna" be anything. It already is, and has been for some time.
how dare you suggest that the government that *checks notes* undertook the cultural revolution is just a little totalitarian

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Hey hey hey hey, he's just read a couple blogs about it. Take it easy, you guys.
Which in itself is totally fair enough. People should read about this stuff. It was the "hurr durr you've not been to China so don't know what you are talking about" post that got my goat. Perhaps particularly because in the next few weeks I am going to China to give a lecture series on precisely these sorts of issues.

Ausage

Which in itself is totally fair enough. People should read about this stuff. It was the "hurr durr you've not been to China so don't know what you are talking about" post that got my goat. Perhaps particularly because in the next few weeks I am going to China to give a lecture series on precisely these sorts of issues.
Geez that's belly of the beast stuff right there.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Geez that's belly of the beast stuff right there.
Yeah, I have been given a series of topics to speak on. One of which is "Government data and surveillance".

I understand I am going to be briefed to be very careful about the kinds of things I talk about during that session haha.