• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jeff Bezos

cpr

We're going to have to give Huawei massive 5G network access for your return, aren't we?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sledger mate. Before you go can you post all the troll ideas you’ve held off on through fear of being banned? Would be a tragedy if you never got to post them.

Will miss you mate.

andmark

Wasn't there a weird thread on here by a Chinese person who'd got through the Great Firewall of China?

MrPrez

Yeah, I have been given a series of topics to speak on. One of which is "Government data and surveillance".

I understand I am going to be briefed to be very careful about the kinds of things I talk about during that session haha.
Off topic, and most certainly a bit late, but:

I'm curious given what I perceive to be your extensive knowledge of China, what your thoughts are on Huawei and the potential threat it poses to Western nations that accept its technologies?

Here in SA we're all-in on using Huawei, hence my curiosity.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Off topic, and most certainly a bit late, but:

I'm curious given what I perceive to be your extensive knowledge of China, what your thoughts are on Huawei and the potential threat it poses to Western nations that accept its technologies?

Here in SA we're all-in on using Huawei, hence my curiosity.
I don't think the Huawei tech itself is any more invasive than the majority of Western equivalents (e.g. Google). The prob is that the data it gathers will probably end up back in China and then god knows what happens to it.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think the Huawei tech itself is any more invasive than the majority of Western equivalents (e.g. Google). The prob is that the data it gathers will probably end up back in China and then god knows what happens to it.
Wouldn't one big potential long-term problem that the Chinese government "decides" that its companies are no longer allowed to carry data that is "against State interests" and hey presto entire countries see anything related to Taiwan disappear from the internet?

Spikey

would just like to say to the chinese government people who are no doubt tracking sledger that i'm not a fan of his work at all

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Wouldn't one big potential long-term problem that the Chinese government "decides" that its companies are no longer allowed to carry data that is "against State interests" and hey presto entire countries see anything related to Taiwan disappear from the internet?
Yeah indeed, this sort of thing is very possible.

Generally speaking though, laws in the EU (and even the US I think) would define this sort of behaviour as anti-competitive or unlawful on some other basis, and then fine the hell out of Huawei's Western offices etc.

But it's certainly an issue.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I know very little of US antitrust law, but there is quite a lot of it, and I imagine this is the sort of situation it was devised for.

Burgey

Bezos should buy Fox News, sack all the RWNJs and replace them with liberal presenters. He can afford it.