• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

JJJ Hottest 100

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Well yeah, that's exactly what I was getting at. Awesome networker, comes across as a really likeable guy, great eye for publicity. World-class at every non-musical skill it takes to become huge.
He is. Genuine good bloke.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Reckon the whole Taylor Swift thing could've been shut down with one very simple rule: was she played at all during the year? If not, then not eligible. ****ing simple. If she had been played, then jjj would have no excuse.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Reckon the whole Taylor Swift thing could've been shut down with one very simple rule: was she played at all during the year? If not, then not eligible. ****ing simple. If she had been played, then jjj would have no excuse.
Heard that the Foo Fighters had a song in the top 100 without it being played during the year.

Top_Cat

Yeah Foo Fighters is an interesting case. They're as commercial as Nickleback and get played on the same stations but JJJ love them because Grohl was in Nirvana.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah Foo Fighters is an interesting case. They're as commercial as Nickleback and get played on the same stations but JJJ love them because Grohl was in Nirvana.
Still land in the "We broke them" pile, don't think Everlong or Monkey Wrench was played on Triple M before 2000.

FaaipDeOiad

Obviously "commercial" is a pretty subjective term etc but I think the Foo Fighters had a fair bit more going on that would appeal to your average JJJ listener than Nickleback. That covers lyrics, marketing and style as well as song structures etc. I dunno, Monkey Wrench is way more of a JJJ song than How You Remind Me, even if you completely discount the presentation, but that stuff counts too.

I'd accept the comment about something like Powderfinger though who are big JJJ darlings while being pretty stock standard generic top 40 rock. But they are also Australian, doubt they'd have gotten much play if they weren't. There's an element of randomness to it anyway, like why does JJJ play Kanye and Kendrick but not Drake? Actually Kanye is a pretty interesting example because while I don't know for sure I doubt they started playing him until a few albums into his career, but they'd happily play the older stuff today.

Top_Cat

Tbh, they're perfectly entitled to pick and choose. The pretence that they don't is what rankles with me personally. I mean, I'm not a subscriber to the cult of Kingsmill thing but I think it's fairly clear there are decisions being made with at least one eye on what the commercial radio stations are going to pick up. And that's fine by me, just drop the act. Double J and Unearthed Radio were commercial decisions, in my view.

I know I rag on them a lot but they definitely get a few things right. They've broken and promo'd to the hilt all they bands from Unearthed High and it's resulted in some ****ing great bands so kudos to them for **** like that. Also if you're a local band who gets a bit of attention, you'll have venues available to you that only play touring JJJ acts so you'll get some sick gigs out of that and maybe a festival spot. Stuff like that is excellent.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Obviously "commercial" is a pretty subjective term etc but I think the Foo Fighters had a fair bit more going on that would appeal to your average JJJ listener than Nickleback. That covers lyrics, marketing and style as well as song structures etc. I dunno, Monkey Wrench is way more of a JJJ song than How You Remind Me, even if you completely discount the presentation, but that stuff counts too.

I'd accept the comment about something like Powderfinger though who are big JJJ darlings while being pretty stock standard generic top 40 rock. But they are also Australian, doubt they'd have gotten much play if they weren't. There's an element of randomness to it anyway, like why does JJJ play Kanye and Kendrick but not Drake? Actually Kanye is a pretty interesting example because while I don't know for sure I doubt they started playing him until a few albums into his career, but they'd happily play the older stuff today.
I think the stylistic umbrella is actually really wide, but they won't play well-known music with no critical acclaim.

Calvin Harris is an inclusion that looks really strange from over here. He's the absolute epitome of chart-pop in the UK.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
It's only CH's collaborations with 'alternative' artists that are ever in the shortlist though (see Florence, Haim).

Uppercut

Have reversed my position on the #TayTay thing, her being disq meant a lovely lass I know, Tkay, nabbed spot 100. Hopefully this spurs her to bigger/better because she's amazing.
I love this. Might be the best tune on the list.

Top_Cat

Yeah it's killer. She's a great chick and making a lot of friends, good buzz about her. A collab with Lorde is a matter of time.