• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jogging/running

zorax

likes this
I only ever run on road/concrete and have worried about the effect that would have on my knees and ankles.

Can anyone suggest some good running shoes to use on such hard surfaces?

social

I used to run about 10 ks per day (proof positive that a bad breakup can drive a man to anything)

Secret is to settle on a rhythm, forget about pace and wear a hear monitor as it is clear evidence of when you are over doing it

Spend money on shoes as there is no greater deterrent than sore calves

You need to put miles in your legs so start with interval training (1 minute jog, 1 minute walk ad nauseam)

Biggest tip - pick a route where attractive members of your chosen sexual fantasy are common

social

I only ever run on road/concrete and have worried about the effect that would have on my knees and ankles.

You need to be fitted by someone who knows what they are doing

Once they have established your strike pattern, it is down to the shoe type within the brand range

Cant go wrong with Asics and Brooks IMO

I wear Asics Kayano and they run to about $250 but are worth every cent as they last a while and you wont wake up feeling like a cripple

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

contrary to what Big Shoe would have you believe, either barefoot or unpadded shoes are best. Forces you to use proper running technique where you engage the muscles in your foot and ankle instead of flopping your feet down and letting the joints wear it all.

Yes, your feet will hurt like **** for the first few months but bear with it. Keep your distances relatively low and allow yourself recovery. Slowly build up but don't overly pressure yourself - just consistently get out there.

Last edited:

social

contrary to what Big Shoe would have you believe, either barefoot or unpadded shoes are best. Forces you to use proper running technique where you engage the muscles in your foot and ankle instead of flopping your feet down and letting the joints wear it all.

Yes, your feet will hurt like **** for the first few months but bear with it. Keep your distances relatively low and allow yourself recovery. Slowly build up but don't overly pressure yourself - just consistently get out there.
Yeah but it hurts like hell when you step on a bottle top and there is always this ........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vocnnsNKgU

Tbf, Becker was a horrible piece of work but give me shoes any day

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I've lost my mojo and am currently nursing a foot injury.

Once I'm back in the swing of things hoping to beat my half marathon PB at the Great Scottish in October and duck under 1:30. Depending on how my running goes once I'm over my injury I might look at the Loch Ness Marathon in September.

social

I've lost my mojo and am currently nursing a foot injury.

Once I'm back in the swing of things hoping to beat my half marathon PB at the Great Scottish in October and duck under 1:30. Depending on how my running goes once I'm over my injury I might look at the Loch Ness Marathon in September.
Pretty quick mate so you can obviously run

Trundling along at just over 4 minutes per k is no easy thing

zorax

likes this

I have heard this from my sister's husband too - he's a big marathon runner and runs on the roads of Dubai, and even he advices barefoot or these basic flip flops

Problem is I am never going to make running my main sport, but I'm just doing it to build cardio for Cricket and MMA. So I do not want to go through that period of pain in order to adjust to it, as it will negatively impact the sports I do want to get good at in the meanwhile, thus defeating the purpose of going running in the first place.

I do want to eventually run a marathon at some point tho, so I guess when that time comes I can begin by first training with unpadded shoes (or barefoot if the surfaces are good enough) in order to get the form correct and the right muscles engaged before training for the marathon itself.

social

I have heard this from my sister's husband too - he's a big marathon runner and runs on the roads of Dubai, and even he advices barefoot or these basic flip flops

Problem is I am never going to make running my main sport, but I'm just doing it to build cardio for Cricket and MMA. So I do not want to go through that period of pain in order to adjust to it, as it will negatively impact the sports I do want to get good at in the meanwhile, thus defeating the purpose of going running in the first place.

I do want to eventually run a marathon at some point tho, so I guess when that time comes I can begin by first training with unpadded shoes (or barefoot if the surfaces are good enough) in order to get the form correct and the right muscles engaged before training for the marathon itself.
In all honesty, I am not sure about that

A guy that I went to uni with does ultra-marathons and when I got keen, he simply said to protect myself and steered me towards certain shoes

Running long distances hurts and has potentially long-term ramifications

wellAlbidarned

just take it easy on the distances then. The adjustment period will be worth avoiding all sorts of other **** later in life.

hendrix

While there's no evidence that any of the high tech running shoes prevent injury, there's also no evidence that the barefoot style running prevents injury or is better long term either.

So buy what's comfortable and is cheap.

wellAlbidarned

unfortunately feet don't have as much money as nike to invest in research /takedownbigshoe

humans are the only animal to stick pieces of carpet on their feet, and funnily enough the only animals to suffer from this range of running related issues.

Flem274*

123/5
unfortunately feet don't have as much money as nike to invest in research /takedownbigshoe

humans are the only animal to stick pieces of carpet on their feet, and funnily enough the only animals to suffer from this range of running related issues.
that's not true at all

"zebra steps on stone at full gallop, gets stone bruise, goes lame, bruise gets infected, zebra can barely walk and is eaten by tiger" just isn't particularly newsworthy

that and ancient humans never had to run on roads/footpaths.

vcs

that's not true at all

"zebra steps on stone at full gallop, gets stone bruise, goes lame, bruise gets infected, zebra can barely walk and is eaten by tiger" just isn't particularly newsworthy

Tigers in Africa would be newsworthy for sure.

wellAlbidarned

that's not true at all

zebras have hooves last time I checked

a large portion of the human race evolved running across tens of kilometers of concrete-like desert plain with no issues. Humans have evolved as long distance running machines and there is zero evidence that tying stylish pillows to your feet helps in any way. If you're afraid of glass and **** (which is a fair concern although I haven't yet had an issue with it despite running in the broken glass capital of NZ) then wear minimalists. Anyway what we're talking about here isn't clear causation injuries like twisting your ankle in a rabbit hole or standing on a rock but the long term chronic problems most runners today seem to have.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Ancient humans didn't have wear and tear issues because the flu or a lion got them first.

Got no issues with running around barefoot but I'm very dubious about this big shoe conspiracy.

wellAlbidarned

It's not really a conspiracy. Convince people that they need to buy something which they don't need and create an market out of it. Most of the toiletries industry exists on that basis.