• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lord Presents..What Made Your Day + What Ruined Your Day IV

Shady Slim

today's made is that it's our first session cricket training since the end of last season this coming arvo, can't wait to get out and have a hit

stephen

So NSW Roads has decided to dramatically reduce the speed limit on a popular motorcycling road nearby, on the basis not much. This strategy has been going on for a decade with no improvement in the safety record funnily enough. But still thanks for taking away another slice of about the only thing I'm enjoying in life while not making me safer.
When the NT introduced speed limits on the highway the accident rate went up. Turns out boredom is a bigger killer than speed.

Starfighter

When the NT introduced speed limits on the highway the accident rate went up. Turns out boredom is a bigger killer than speed.
Road safety is a horrendous field of study, I don't know how many of the papers get published and I've read hundreds, and the real doozeys are in the technical/policy documents that actually guide what people do. I've seen one where one document greatly exaggerated the measure stated in another document, the citation in which didn't even prove what was being asserted. Let's not even talk about the treatment of confounding factors and how bad the data are. The misattribution is staggering, and you'll never guess for what cause. A 0.1 km/h speed decrease being credited with a 29% decrease in casualty crashes in Perth was a great example (e.g. nothing to do with cars becoming a lot safer over the period). The speed change was not even statistically significant. They miss so may real causes to wedge things into their speed speed speed ideology that it's no wonder there's been so little progress. Any opposing paper gets memory holed. Let's not talk about the unproven assertions that work their way into becoming facts.
Some -distressingly many- are outright fraudulent. The increase in deaths in NT and subsequent decrease when open speed limits were restored again for that brief period was noted at the time. I saw a paper claiming that deaths increased during that brief period - by measuring all NT highways, not the sections that were affected.

In this case none of the four fatal accidents on the road were speed related, and none would have been prevented by the new speed limits. Not least because two were on sections where no change will be made. One was a road rage murder. But they fed the geometry of the road into their guidelines, and because it's a bit curvy we all need to do 60 rather than 100 apparently. No science and no consideration of the actual situation. Apparently one of the local council members is a card carrying lycra brigader and really pushed for it too. I just want to do 100 where I can. There's no one else's hand on the throttle.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Made: rode the relevant road today, which was great, and another nearby, where the feeling was nearly transcendental. All in all one of the best days I can recall ever.
Ruined: I can never have the same experience there again (legally), so I won't be back in a hurry.

Also ruined: the government confirming their plan to bail out property developers and the bloated construction industry, thus helping to put house prices forever beyond my reach.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Made

Took 3 KOMs on Strava because I'm fast on a bike
a
Ruined

2 guys I ride with got hit by a car at 50mph, with 1 being air ambulanced to hospital with head to toe road rash and a suspected broken knee. Both had rear lights on, driver must be blind and/or massively negligent. The downside is that generally you can actually kill a cyclist in a car and not get prison time in most cases.

Road safety is a horrendous field of study, I don't know how many of the papers get published and I've read hundreds, and the real doozeys are in the technical/policy documents that actually guide what people do. I've seen one where one document greatly exaggerated the measure stated in another document, the citation in which didn't even prove what was being asserted. Let's not even talk about the treatment of confounding factors and how bad the data are. The misattribution is staggering, and you'll never guess for what cause. A 0.1 km/h speed decrease being credited with a 29% decrease in casualty crashes in Perth was a great example (e.g. nothing to do with cars becoming a lot safer over the period). The speed change was not even statistically significant. They miss so may real causes to wedge things into their speed speed speed ideology that it's no wonder there's been so little progress. Any opposing paper gets memory holed. Let's not talk about the unproven assertions that work their way into becoming facts.
Some -distressingly many- are outright fraudulent. The increase in deaths in NT and subsequent decrease when open speed limits were restored again for that brief period was noted at the time. I saw a paper claiming that deaths increased during that brief period - by measuring all NT highways, not the sections that were affected.

In this case none of the four fatal accidents on the road were speed related, and none would have been prevented by the new speed limits. Not least because two were on sections where no change will be made. One was a road rage murder. But they fed the geometry of the road into their guidelines, and because it's a bit curvy we all need to do 60 rather than 100 apparently. No science and no consideration of the actual situation. Apparently one of the local council members is a card carrying lycra brigader and really pushed for it too. I just want to do 100 where I can. There's no one else's hand on the throttle.
the duality of man

Starfighter

Made: went on my first track day. It was immense fun though rather taxing on my knees.

Ruined: crashed. Left fairing is a bit mangled and may need a new helmet. At least I'm fine and nothing super important was broken.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I was walking the dog outside my apartment and some dude was driving by - he rolled down his window and started cursing. It was kind of far, so I couldn't make out what he said - so I kept on saying "WHAT? I can't hear you!" Like three times - I legitimately could only make out 1-2 four letter words. He got so frustrated that he almost crashed into the divider! :laugh:

I legit wanted to know what he was saying so I could say something smartass back....

vcs

Made : Finished a tough project at work and kept a deadline

Now I can finally get back to my usual routine of wasting time on here. :)

Teja.

Global Moderator
Ruined

My promotion to principal associate is gg due to Corona. I'm still getting a pretty decent annual increment and it was an early promotion interview (actually due for interviewing for it with 5-6 years PQE and I only have 4) but I'll still sulk for a few days considering my interview went really well and I was sorta expecting it.

While I would be lying if I said staying in and finally doing a shitload of things I've always wanted to was somehow a bad experience for me, I've lost my first trip to Europe, a promotion and have not met my girl for several months due to this ****ing plague.

All of these things are obviously first world problems but ****ing hell.

Last edited:

vcs

Sorry Teja, that sucks hard. **** this plague.

As an aside, you seem to be doing really well - I maybe have a decade of work in this company and another couple of steps to ascend before I get to "Principal <>" in my role, if I ever make it, that is. Probably not a consolation right now but..

Last edited:

honestbharani

Bad luck man... What is gg though? Just gotta hope things get better, this bloody illness has done bad for all in this world and I thought nothing can ever be the same for every person in the world.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yeah not the most important thing in the grander scheme of things and people are going through a lot worse.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I became a father last night! ****, what a feeling!

The little fella kept us all up last night crying and decided to sleep at 7 this morning. Gonna have to get used to this, right?
i didn't actually realize you had to raise a baby on top of lockdown ****ery

godspeed duffers

Kraken

Made:
- had some time between clients this arvo to finally get a net in with a good mate

Ruined:
- forgot what an absolute nightmare he is on the sidearm (he can barely bowl). genuinely quick and sprays em. Got Badged, twice (the second one completely ****ing the helmet)

oh well - needed a new one anyway!

GotSpin

Made:
- had some time between clients this arvo to finally get a net in with a good mate

Ruined:
- forgot what an absolute nightmare he is on the sidearm (he can barely bowl). genuinely quick and sprays em. Got Badged, twice (the second one completely ****ing the helmet)

oh well - needed a new one anyway!
How good is a decent nets session with a mate or two