• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

quincywagstaff

Still think as it currently stands Lyon would get the nod over SOK in Australian conditions at least.

Obviously don't get pitches like this in Oz and on the bland pacy ones that are the norm there Lyon has a pretty good record overall (last season notwithstanding) and SOK has been only adequate in his couple of Oz Tests.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Think I would wait a bit before proclaiming that SOK has proved himself to be the best. Our batsmen played him horribly especially in the first innings. Wait and watch for the rest of the series. Mind you as adub has said, he has exceptional numbers for a guy who plays domestic cricket in Australia, so he is almost certainly that good but I would wait for a couple more matches before being certain that he is number one.
Yea!
Jason Kreza too picked up a 12-fer but on a flat deck and so got hit for plenty as well. This performance although impressive, to me it's like Karun Nair scoring 303* on a roadiest road.

Similarly, absolute tailor made conditions for Sok, along with India not having faced him (notorious history of choking against new bowlers), plus the lineup with only one leftie down at No.9... and everyone not really taking him seriously (India not really doing their homework on him)..It was all just too perfect for him. Yes he had really worked hard pre-series but now has got more than his share of dividends.

He may still pick wickets because India has 10 right handed batsmen including tailenders. But he's unlikely to even come anywhere close to this in the rest of the series. Judgment on him should be reserved till after series and maybe after Australia face any other team (because he's not having to bowl to any leftie to break up his rhythm). Ashwin is a fine example of how he is half the bowler when having to bowl to right vs left.

Lyon on the other hand has to deal with 10 right-handers, no respite.

TheJediBrah

Still think as it currently stands Lyon would get the nod over SOK in Australian conditions at least.

Obviously don't get pitches like this in Oz and on the bland pacy ones that are the norm there Lyon has a pretty good record overall (last season notwithstanding) and SOK has been only adequate in his couple of Oz Tests.
This is simply not true. SOK is perfect for Aus conditions as his Shield record shows. And the fact is that almost every time him and Lyon have played together SOK has outbowled him comfortably.

mr_mister

He may still pick wickets because India has 10 right handed batsmen including tailenders. But he's unlikely to even come anywhere close to this in the rest of the series. Judgment on him should be reserved till after series and maybe after Australia face any other team (because he's not having to bowl to any leftie to break up his rhythm). Ashwin is a fine example of how he is half the bowler when having to bowl to right vs left.

well of course he's unlikely to nab 12 wickets again next test it's a bloody high bar he's raised for himself. But as others said his FC record is amazing so this not a fluke which is the word I've seen used thrown around on facebook by certain fans. the fact he's already taken 6-35 TWICE is enough proof surely, and yeah Krezja's 12 went for like 300 more runs

centurymaker

well of course he's unlikely to nab 12 wickets again next test it's a bloody high bar he's raised for himself. But as others said his FC record is amazing so this not a fluke which is the word I've seen used thrown around on facebook by certain fans. the fact he's already taken 6-35 TWICE is enough proof surely, and yeah Krezja's 12 went for like 300 more runs
12-fer is like scoring a 250 or 300 and see Nair is still sitting on the bench because of tailor-made conditions.

Yea, it was Krejza's first game. India took him lightly, attacked him on a flat pitch. India is known for screwing up against new bowlers. One only has to look at Tendulkars record and see how often he'd get out to a new guy. Crazy.

I would like to see how he bowls on a flatter deck and with Indian players most likely having figured something out about him.
If he looks clearly better, then no doubt he'll be No.1

Zinzan

So back to the drawing board for the Indians, I assume we'll see a flatter track in the next test. It's ironic in a way that a complete dust-bowl exploded in their faces.

OverratedSanity

Surprising.

Anyway. we're going to get smashed on flat decks if we get those so it's worrying. Need to win the next two because Dharamshala in theory, is tailor made for Australia's quicks.

centurymaker

India lost 7 for 11 runs in the first innings and 7 for 30 runs in the 2nd..

:wacko:
I can understand the 2nd innings implosion because they had no chance of winning. Game was over long ago.

In the 1st innings after the big 3 - Vijay, Pujara and Kohli went out to fast bowlers, there was a period where India had recovered to 90/3 and then suddenly Rahul's shot exposed the Indian semi-allrounders -Ashwin, Saha, Jayant, Jadeja and co to the mystery of Sok and they fell shockingly in a heap. Clueless.

India needs an extra proper batsman rather than so many of these semi-batsmen

Zinzan

I'm happy to taste it about Smith btw, I thought he'd be badly found out on turning decks especially vs. Ashwin in his own backyard.

Fair to say he looked the best equipped bat on either side in those very difficult to play spinning conditions. Who would have picked that going into this series?

To think of the touring threesome of KW, Root and Smith, I would have picked KW to be the most successful in Indian conditions prior to the start of the Indian summer, followed by Root with Smith the worst....obviously it's early days in this series, but it could well turn out to be Smith, Root and KW, in that order....

Last edited:

centurymaker

Surprising.

Anyway. we're going to get smashed on flat decks if we get those so it's worrying. Need to win the next two because Dharamshala in theory, is tailor made for Australia's quicks.
At least it's possible to draw on a flat one. Maybe India can draw one and then win one, and at 1-1 take the series to the decider in Dharmasala, where hopefully it'll just rain and be flat and series finishes as Drawn.

social

I'm happy to taste it about Smith btw, I thought he'd be badly found out on turning decks especially vs. Ashwin in his own backyard.

Fair to say he looked the best equipped bat on either side in those very difficult to play spinning conditions. Who would have picked that going into this series?

To think of the touring threesome of KW, Root and Smith, I would have picked KW to be the most successful in Indian conditions prior to the start of the Indian summer, followed by Root with Smith the worst....obviously it's early days in this series, but it could well turn out to be Smith, Root and KW, in that order....
TPC has super fast hands & feet, an eye like a dead fish, soft hands in defence, plays it very late and adapts to a situation

In short, there's a reason why he averages a lot more than anybody else

Zinzan

Anyone who is not a complete ...................
Aye, you saying you thought Smith would be the best of the 3 in Indian conditions prior to the summer starting. If so, credit to you... I remember most were thinking it would be KW.

Zinzan

TPC has super fast hands & feet, an eye like a dead fish, soft hands in defence, plays it very late and adapts to a situation

In short, there's a reason why he averages a lot more than anybody else
Yup, I underestimated him. He's clearly the no. 1 test bat going around atm. Don't mind saying I was wrong about him and his technique and eye only getting him so far.