• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** COVID-19 Discussion

Burgey

Do you actually know what a wet market actually is? Most of them never closed, nor was there ever a reason to close them. Most only sell fruit and vegetables.

Do you really think a glorified blog written by someone outside of China has inside information that no reputable outlet is picking up on? Try to be a little more discerning with your sources. Or at least a little more critical of the sources you read. An article that claims bats are being sold that opens with a picture of pork taken before the lockdown started should surely trigger some bullshit alarms.
They're basically the seat of most plagues and pandemics. aren't they?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
The amount of ****ing work Mrs Burgey and I are doing working from home is flat out ridiculous. When home becomes the only work place, it's difficult to actually switch off and not work. One day, some of you peasants will know what it's like to have real and important jobs. if and when that happens, take my advice on board, and be sure to set aside time for home/ family.

Here endeth the lesson.
Not getting much rest here either. Between the three kids at home and what feels like 100+ kids at work, I feel exhausted everyday. I was planning on taking a week off next week for a trip we had booked. That's obviously canceled now but I'm taking the week off anyway. Need to switch off man.

Burgey

Ah man, my wife went ot Chicago a few years ago and said it was great. Was cold - she was there in February but said the architecture and the vibe in the city was great. Would like to go there.

Anyway mate, look after yourself.

honestbharani

Ah man, my wife went ot Chicago a few years ago and said it was great. Was cold - she was there in February but said the architecture and the vibe in the city was great. Would like to go there.

Yeah Chicago is a great place if you wanna appreciate urban architecture. There is an actual architecture tour on a boat on the Chicago river there every night I think. Its very good, I will definitely recommend it to anyone who is a fan of urban architecture.

Daemon

Just outside of Chicago. Far enough to not have to put up with Chicago, close enough to be able to drive there every couple of days.
I was in Schaumburg for a while a couple of years ago which is like less than an hour from Chicago. Really nice suburb, orders of magnitude better than the city.

Daemon

I wonder if Chicago's death rate has actually bucked the trend and gone down given everyones stuck at home and can't shoot each other

vcs

The amount of ****ing work Mrs Burgey and I are doing working from home is flat out ridiculous. When home becomes the only work place, it's difficult to actually switch off and not work. One day, some of you peasants will know what it's like to have real and important jobs. if and when that happens, take my advice on board, and be sure to set aside time for home/ family.

Here endeth the lesson.
Yeah it's rubbish. Even worse when you're gently encouraged to work holidays and/or weekends just because there's nothing else to do.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator

Thanks Burge, you too.

Yeah it's a nice town as long as you avoid the bad areas. There's an architectural boat tour I would really recommend if you ever make it out here in good weather. I would also really recommend my company while dining on a Chicago style pizza.

vcs

You are into tech right? Into support work?
Not sure how you'd define support work, but yeah I guess you can call it that, in the sense that we're supporting customers and developing tools to make their jobs easier. It's called "R&D" on paper though.

Bolo.

Read the bloomberg article. Their China reporting approaches fiction at times, but this one is at least factual.

The low number of markets that have been shut down are reopening. But they are reopening without wild animals, and at least in the case mentioned in the article (iirc, i read it, but ran out of free articles on the site and cant open it again), without live animals. This makes them basically either greengrocers or greengrocers plus butcheries. Health standards in the butchery sections are way below developed nations, but way above undeveloped ones from what i have seen.

Wild animal trade has been banned nationally. The list of approved animals for eating is basically what is eaten internationally without including all the odd animals particular to certain countries.

Bolo.

They're basically the seat of most plagues and pandemics. aren't they?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone on this thread knows that you can't catch coronavirus from cabbages and are referring to the livestock markets where animals are killed on the spot as they're bought by customers. Freshly slaughtered meat and fish is a huge part of the Chinese medicinal food culture.

And there's plenty of evidence from refutable sources that they're re-opening - hint: Google is your friend.
You could each read each others comment as a response to your own.

BooKhaki

Banned
This is the plague that the world needed. Over population was becoming a problem, and unless we can invent a virus that kills people with an IQ <100, then something to mainly kill off the weak and the old is about as good as it gets.

Time to get back to work.