• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** COVID-19 Discussion

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
From what it sounds like, initially the UK government received bad advice, or they decided to ignore good advice. Either way, they started off badly, but since then their response has been very good. And that should hopefully mean that you guys won't ever get to the Spain/Italy/New York City type situations. Over here, the places that locked down early and significantly haven' seen the spikes and it has been extremely manageable.

trundler

From what it sounds like, initially the UK government received bad advice, or they decided to ignore good advice. Either way, they started off badly, but since then their response has been very good. And that should hopefully mean that you guys won't ever get to the Spain/Italy/New York City type situations. Over here, the places that locked down early and significantly haven' seen the spikes and it has been extremely manageable.
Read a good article about this:

https://news.yahoo.com/flattening-t...washington-can-teach-the-world-130405639.html

Seattle was ground 0 but enforced strict measures early on and managed to keep things under control.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't let Burgey see this. Nuanced criticism of the British government's approach isn't allowed. PMs missing Cobra isn't entirely normal and in fact Boris missed those meetings because he was busy injecting pensioners with the virus.

But yeah that makes sense. Also worth noting that in the fortnight before lockdown was imposed there was to my eyes a significant shift in the public mood and attitude.

Neptune

Those stupid ****ing ***** in America protesting the lockdown, ****ing morons, what’s wrong with the people over their?? So many thick ****s it’s unbelievable. I swear the USA is just one big comedy show for the rest of the world to enjoy. ****sticks.

TheJediBrah

Those stupid ****ing ***** in America protesting the lockdown, ****ing morons, what’s wrong with the people over their?? So many thick ****s it’s unbelievable. I swear the USA is just one big comedy show for the rest of the world to enjoy. ****sticks.
*there

Lillian Thomson

I was a little surprised by the “My body my choice” banner at one of the protest gatherings. Presumably originally made for a pro-abortion rally.

Burgey

We're about to find out here the complete inadequacy of a "market based solution" to our airline industry's problems

zorax

likes this
the airline industry is broken. The fact that so many loss-making airlines survive thanks to Government backing means that the actually well-run private airlines have to compete in an unfair market. I reckon it would actually be healthier if all airlines were privatized, with government-backed airlines only existing to serve routes that the private industry isn't interested in.

In other news - Madagascar's president is taking this opportunity to sell snake oil to his own people it seems, and USA oil prices have become negative lol

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I don't think the airline industry is a fair indication of whether the market "works" -- it's not reasonable to expect a fully private company to compete against the likes of Emirates and Qatar, which are national prestige projects as much as airlines, on a completely one-to-one basis.

zorax

likes this
Yeah I don't think the airline industry is a fair indication of whether the market "works" -- it's not reasonable to expect a fully private company to compete against the likes of Emirates and Qatar, which are national prestige projects as much as airlines, on a completely one-to-one basis.
not to mention carries like Air India, Malaysia Airlines, etc that keep reporting losses, yet continue to offer flights at relatively cheap rates on popular routes.

Spark

Global Moderator
not to mention carries like Air India, Malaysia Airlines, etc that keep reporting losses, yet continue to offer flights at relatively cheap rates on popular routes.
And Thai which is treated as much as a career stepping stone into politics for the national elite or a source of cushy jobs for their families rather than run by people actually interested/knowledgeable in running an airline.

Spark

Global Moderator
Even if we're just talking about VA, its two biggest shareholders are Singapore Airlines and a holding corp linked to Abu Dhabi, i.e. the same people that run Etihad. I'm not entirely sure that ensuring great domestic competition for Australians is the primary goal there - as opposed to forcing Qantas to protect its domestic market share and thus weaken it in the international space - and I'm definitely sure that bailing those entities out with Aus taxpayer dollars is a dubious proposition.

vcs

The labelling isn't great but it's just a loglog plot
This is a bit pedantic but it annoys me. It's only really just the Y-axis plotted on a log scale, isn't it? Because Y=a(b)^X becomes log(Y) = (logb)X + loga which is a straight line if you set logY to Y'.

If you plotted both axes on the log scale, then Y = b.(X)^a would become a straight line.

Flem274*

123/5
the airline industry is broken. The fact that so many loss-making airlines survive thanks to Government backing means that the actually well-run private airlines have to compete in an unfair market. I reckon it would actually be healthier if all airlines were privatized, with government-backed airlines only existing to serve routes that the private industry isn't interested in.
i too want there to be 15 seats per row with extra charges for meals, tv and using the toilet