• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pedometers

stumpski

I do a fair bit of walking on my days off, and I bought a pedometer recently as I was curious to know how many miles/steps I cover on my regular routes (also, because I'm on my feet all day at work, I wanted to know what distance I cover in a typical day). So I get this thing, and the first thing you have to do is set a stride length. The stride settings go from 12 inches to 84 inches - I realise that when running you obviously take a longer stride, but who has one of seven feet - the Jolly Green Giant? I settled on 30 inches and off I set. A straightforward walk to the next village took me around 50 minutes, which the ped insisted was exactly one mile. Sceptical of this information, I checked the step counter. I worked out that if that was correct each step would have taken six seconds - I was not walking in slow motion. And when I decided to do a spot test, and paced out 100 steps, I noted that the ped had only recorded 43 of them. But if I ran the same distance, most or all steps were registered.

It seems to me this is so inaccurate that I may as well just calculate the distance on a basis of time taken (around 3 mph I think, as a walk in the country is a stroll rather than a march), but can I do anything to improve the accuracy? When I shortened the stride setting it was even further out, so do I have to reset it to four feet or something? Anyone who's used one of these things, please advise.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Where did you attach it?

A couple of mates put them on during a cricket game, and racked up thousands of steps over 100 overs, and they were sitting at first and second slip.

stumpski

Attached it to trouser pocket - the instructions say to wear it at waist height - I did wonder if it was just counting the steps of one leg. :dry:

Goughy

The stride settings go from 12 inches to 84 inches - I realise that when running you obviously take a longer stride, but who has one of seven feet - the Jolly Green Giant?
Usain Bolt takes strides measuring 8 feet in the 100m. I guess they have all bases covered :)

As for a pedometer, I dont have a lot of experience but thats because I have never bought one as I believe them to be overly based on guess work. If you are interested in being accurate then Id recommend getting a gps pedometer/watch that tells your exact distance travelled and speed etc. They are actually coming down a lot in price and some are really reasonable.

Sir Alex

Banned
8 feet? I mean is it the gap between one left footstep and right footstep or just between two left footsteps?

age_master

Ive used a one before and it worked fine. Used it just doing normal stuff but also walking longer distances and bushwalking and it always seemed about right. Perhaps you have a dodgy pedometer?