• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Run Up to the World Cup

stephen

Probably a bit of an exaggeration with the 1999 Aussie side - Reiffel, Moody and even S. Waugh were fairly average ODI players, not to mention that Lehmann had achieved precious little in his ODI career at the time. And, even though in hindsight it may seem preposterous, there were significant question marks about the longevity of Shane Warne's career after a very serious shoulder injury. On paper they may have been the third best side in the tournament. In terms of performance through the semis, they may have been the worst of all the semi-finalists.
It is true that Warne and Waugh in particular largely built their ODI legacy on the 1999 world cup. It was still an ATG side though. Bevan, M Waugh, McGrath, Warne were already established ATG players and Gilchrist was well on his way there. Ponting was considered very good as well. They were largely still the bulk of the side that had gotten to the final of the 96 WC. Warne had some injury questions over him but the bulk of the side was ATG standard. The 1999 WC was always going to leave at least one of South Africa or Australia without a 90s WC win, despite both sides having a bunch of great players through the era.

Almost certainly South Africa were in average a stronger side than Australia through the era, particularly with peak Klusener but Australia winning was not a long odds victory.

And if this tournament is anywhere near as good as the tournament of 20 years ago it'll be an amazing tournament. England have to be strong favourites at this stage, just as South Africa were in 1999. The trick though is to perform in those key moments and pressure does funny things. Honestly you can't write off any side except perhaps Afghanistan or Bangladesh.

But I'd have written off Kenya in 2003 and they got to the semis.

I don't see SL picking up at all. Pak might be able to beat SA but nothing more than that. Only unpredictable factor in this tournament is rain.

How do you feel about Duanne Olivier's decision to go Kolpak?
Absolutely pathetic but can’t blame him at all. Money is something which drives cricket these days and also given how that idiot Shamsi made it to the squad, I wouldn’t be surprised if more players go Kolpak. I can certainly see Miller going Kolpak after this tournament.

Burgey

How funny is this preview on Fox with all these ex-Pommy players talking about what it takes to win a WC.

I mean, come on.

Burgey

Is there some sort of deal withe the ICC which has been done with Kookaburra? Didn't realise they weren't using Duke balls in the WC. Lame AF.

PikeyB

I think all our International white ball games are Kookaburra because of the ICC ? Has been for donkeys years. Apparently Dukes make a nice white ball that will last 50 overs , but a Kookaburra from each end is the order of the day.
If the batch of balls that England v Pakistan used in their one day series is anything to go by , they aint doing nothing in the air . I did hear the Pakistan team work up a bit of reverse swing in the closing overs of a warmup game, but with the long ways the sixes have been travelling, the chances of it being a reliable tactic at the death seem pretty slim .

How Kookaburra balls came to rule the world | The Cricket Monthly | ESPN Cricinfo

Personally I'd fancy a pinky in the ODI stuff long term , go back to one ball to bring some sport back into the bowling,

StephenZA

So did anybody actually watch the opening ceremony? It seems one of the more pointless aspects of the WC run up.