• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Run Up to the World Cup

vcs

It's a bit of a joke TBH. If my job involved a lot of travel and long overseas stays, I'd hate my employer to tell me "you can't have your family over with you".

Burgey

There are a stack of jobs where people go Os for extended periods and their family doesn’t get to go.

Top_Cat

It's a bit of a joke TBH. If my job involved a lot of travel and long overseas stays, I'd hate my employer to tell me "you can't have your family over with you".
Difference is few other jobs have careers that end in your 30s if you’re lucky to get that far.

Arachnodouche

Reminds me of Lemmy from Motorhead and how he wouldn't let the other two guys get their wives on tour. Job is a job. Lemmy never had to worry about wives of course, that would've helped.

Jezroy

By the way, the weather looking pretty reasonable for the first five games or so. Worst forecast is cloudy.

Howe_zat

Each side's chance of winning, as a percentage, according to bet365

Code:
England		29.18
India		23.34
Australia	17.51
New Zealand	8.75
South Africa	8.75
Pakistan	4.61
West Indies	4.61
Sri Lanka	1.31
Bangladesh	1.08
Afghanistan	0.87

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Good value on NZ no?
Yeah NZ and Pakistan are both paying overs for mine. They could certainly bomb - they're not really paying overs for anything other than "winner" and "finalist" - but they're both a bigger chance of having it all click for them than that.

Last edited:

Daemon

They’ve been playing well of late. I think it’s justified, especially now that it looks like Smith is back in good nick.

GoodAreasShane

Any team with Cummins, Starc, Warner, and Smith is going to be up there.
They still have no clear idea on the makeup of the top order, or the preferred option for 3rd pacer. Absolutely nothing fills me with any great confidence about Australia's chances

stephen

Yep, world cup winning teams either are home sides or have no obvious weaknesses.

1999 had an ATG Australian side with Fleming as probably the weakest player and he was pretty good. The 2003 Aus side was peak Aus with Hogg being the glaring unknown in the lead up to the tournament, but he turned out to be Australia's second best spinner of all time. The 2007 Aus side was simply unbelievable. 2011 India had an intersection of their 00s greats and their modern greats at home. 2015 Australia had the still very good Johnson, the emerging Starc, Faulkner in the form of his career and s bunch of great players - a hungry Smith, Clarke, Bailey, Warner and a few others. And even though they weren't as good as the 99, 03 or 07 sides they had the home advantage.

This year ours England that has both the zero obvious weaknesses and the home ground advantage.

tooextracool

Yep, world cup winning teams either are home sides or have no obvious weaknesses.

1999 had an ATG Australian side with Fleming as probably the weakest player and he was pretty good. The 2003 Aus side was peak Aus with Hogg being the glaring unknown in the lead up to the tournament, but he turned out to be Australia's second best spinner of all time. The 2007 Aus side was simply unbelievable. 2011 India had an intersection of their 00s greats and their modern greats at home. 2015 Australia had the still very good Johnson, the emerging Starc, Faulkner in the form of his career and s bunch of great players - a hungry Smith, Clarke, Bailey, Warner and a few others. And even though they weren't as good as the 99, 03 or 07 sides they had the home advantage.

This year ours England that has both the zero obvious weaknesses and the home ground advantage.
Probably a bit of an exaggeration with the 1999 Aussie side - Reiffel, Moody and even S. Waugh were fairly average ODI players, not to mention that Lehmann had achieved precious little in his ODI career at the time. And, even though in hindsight it may seem preposterous, there were significant question marks about the longevity of Shane Warne's career after a very serious shoulder injury. On paper they may have been the third best side in the tournament. In terms of performance through the semis, they may have been the worst of all the semi-finalists.