• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official Food/Cooking/Eating thread

Shri

Amazing how Shri is embarrassed to say Chennai
No, Damien. Chennai is not a ****ing state and is a city made of people coming from elsewhere with a variety of cuisines. It doesn't have a cuisine of its own much like NYC. The southern part of the state where my family is from has awesome food.

indiaholic

@Adders My understanding was that you cook the leg of the goat (not lamb) for about an hour and half in a convection oven and then cook it for half an hour in a tandoor. Haven't read the recipes posted but this is a dish that requires a lot of cooking.. Should melt in your mouth. The legs are tough muscle. And part of the appeal is how soft it becomes.

Most recipes online will be bastardisations of traditional recipes because they are aimed at an urban populace who dont have the tools or the time to do it the proper way... I will try and find a good recipe for you today..

Adders

@Adders My understanding was that you cook the leg of the goat (not lamb) for about an hour and half in a convection oven and then cook it for half an hour in a tandoor. Haven't read the recipes posted but this is a dish that requires a lot of cooking.. Should melt in your mouth. The legs are tough muscle. And part of the appeal is how soft it becomes.

Most recipes online will be bastardisations of traditional recipes because they are aimed at an urban populace who dont have the tools or the time to do it the proper way... I will try and find a good recipe for you today..
Mate that would be bloody awesome if you can find one. All joking aside I've got the time to do it, and the tandoor (of sorts) so if I'm gonna do it I wanna do it properly.

And funny as it sounds, I've seriously been thinking of getting a goat for eating. I had a spit roast one years ago at a party and it was ****ing delicious.......no idea why we don't eat it in the West.

indiaholic

Yeah it is absolutely delicious meat. Most so called lamb based indian dishes are actually goat based.. I have always loved it though i have heard that because it has a more distinct taste, it may take some getting used to..

Adders

I mean, I could see myself doing that when I'm old and married and settled down. But I'm still young so why would I waste my Saturday nights cooking?

I could sit at home and record a podcast over skype with a guy I've never met instead.
Hahahah, I was young once too and I would probably have laughed at old ****s that sit by a fire pot cooking all day.

This was actually one of the best things my Old Man ever taught me tbh. Back at home when I was a young bloke we used to have the traditional Turkey Christmas dinner, my Step Mum used to really go to town with it and put a **** load of effort in. But my Dad always insisted on having a Pork Roast as well. So every Christmas he would trot off to his shed at about 9am and we wouldn't see him again until 3 when he would stagger in pissed as a fart with a beautifully cooked pork joint.

And the old **** used to get all the kudos for the pork while my Mum had worked her ass off all day doing everything else.

zorax

likes this
Hahahah, I was young once too and I would probably have laughed at old ****s that sit by a fire pot cooking all day.

This was actually one of the best things my Old Man ever taught me tbh. Back at home when I was a young bloke we used to have the traditional Turkey Christmas dinner, my Step Mum used to really go to town with it and put a **** load of effort in. But my Dad always insisted on having a Pork Roast as well. So every Christmas he would trot off to his shed at about 9am and we wouldn't see him again until 3 when he would stagger in pissed as a fart with a beautifully cooked pork joint.

And the old **** used to get all the kudos for the pork while my Mum had worked her ass off all day doing everything else.
Man....can I come over to yours for dinner?

Adders

Kudos to Adders for the home made tandoor - deeply impressed with that
It really wasn't hard to make at all and it does work pretty well. If anyone here is inspired and wants to have a crack at one, step by step guide is here

You really just can't do things like a tandoori chicken in a conventional oven as they don't get hot enough. From my research something happens to the natural yoghurt once you cook it at above 300 degrees that gives it that flavour. I cook a whole (large) chicken in about 30-40 mins in it. The marinating is very important here, must be at least 24 hours so the meat is cured/part cooked to start with..........otherwise you'd never get the middle cooked until the outside was charcoal.

One thing I haven't got happening yet though is naan bread in the tandoor. I've tried 4 times and they've been a dismal failure each time.......so if anyone has any tips/recipes I'd love to hear them.

Bijed

Man, everyone here sharing all kinds of wonderful recipes and doing some delicious home cooking and here's me looking forward to microwaving a cheap supermarket pie for my lunch

harsh.ag

All kidding aside, the British invented a decent rice dish with Indian flavours. I present to you the relatively scarce known Kedgeree, a rice-fish-egg concoction with curry powder, milk/yogurt, Indian spices, and bay leaves, usually eaten for breakfast/brunch.

zorax

likes this
The fact that the only half decent dish in British Cuisine is basically Indian doesn't surprise me.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The fact that the only half decent dish in British Cuisine is basically Indian doesn't surprise me.
West coast of Scotland boasts some of the finest seafood in the world.

I love South East Asian/subcontinental food but let's be honest your delicious sauces compensate for some seriously low grade meat.

indiaholic

All kidding aside, the British invented a decent rice dish with Indian flavours. I present to you the relatively scarce known Kedgeree, a rice-fish-egg concoction with curry powder, milk/yogurt, Indian spices, and bay leaves, usually eaten for breakfast/brunch.

Link a decent recipe.