• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Political Compass Test

Slow Love™

Oh, I just thought of something else - Langveldt, would you define yourself as a pacifist? Or are you just against specific wars?

I think that many of the pro-war in Iraq people accuse many of us in opposition of being pacifists. While I think that's true for many people (and I have nothing against pacifists, it's a very consistent moral code to live by), for many like me, it's not so much a case of being against all war as being against wars we don't happen to agree with. I'm not a pacifist, myself, at least, not in terms of being against military conflict in all scenarios.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Slow Love™ said:
Your authoritarian score is a bit of a surprise though, and probably makes you far from a libertarian. :) Your opposition to the war I presume isn't ideologically based - what is it, out of curiosity?
I don't think I have ever supported a war... My thinking being that if a person/nation has a gripe which is being "carried out" in a violent manner, then military action isn't likely to sort it out... Primarily because you don't make people less defiant and less determined by trying to blow them up...

The most destructive and bloody conflict, with thousands dying in the horror of the trenches was resolved over a table.. What a waste.. War as a solution just doesn't enter my thinking really.. I doubt it ever will...

My specific reason for being opposed to the recent gulf war was that Saddam had not threatened to attack US soil, and Iraq had no links to 9/11...

To answer your second question, I havent thought much about whether I consider myself a pacifist.. But I guess I must be with the above taken into account.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Langeveldt said:
Im extremely fearful about the onset of same sex marriage, and gay rights reguarding raising children.... Which should never happen under any circumstance in my opinion..
That's what swayed you to the right.

Just out of curiosity, don't you think the sanctity of marriage has already been ruined, spat on and then thrown in the trash. Divorce rates over 50% in most western countries, hell Birtney Spears' less than a day marriage makes headlines. What would allowing gays to marriage possibly do to worsen it?

Regarding gays adopting children, whats the difference between that, and a white and black marriage or asian and white marriage adopting a child?

masterblaster

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.41

Opinions and thoughts on mine Jono, Slow Love and Neil?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Your result is somewhat what I expected I'd get, but I didn't. I consider myself quite educated when it comes to economics, and thus I figured this would result in me often leaning towards the right on some economic and business issues (note I am not saying anyone on the left is uneducated with economics (since I am on the left too) so don't even start). Out of curiosity, what are your views on free trade and tarriff reform? Also what about the use of enterprise agreements instead of the centralised wage system?

You're clearly on the left with social issues, so I'm guessing you are fairly liberal? You did vote Labor if I remember correctly, but this is just an assumption so if I'm wrong I apologise.

Last edited:

masterblaster

Yes, I did vote Labor Jono, yeah quite I'm quite liberal when it comes to social issues and I'd like to believe that I like letting people live for who they are, and not who they should be.

Economically I'm all for Capitalism and letting the hungriest and best win when they can and how they can. However I do believe that these corporations should also contribute towards society when they have the power to (I think there was a question like that).

I do believe the world is your oyster if you're willing to work with enough dedication, heart and passion, and if you do, then you deserve all the success and money in the world, so I guess thats more of an enterprise type thing rather than a centralised wage system.

Hope I'm making sense mate....

:)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Jono said:
That's what swayed you to the right.

Just out of curiosity, don't you think the sanctity of marriage has already been ruined, spat on and then thrown in the trash. Divorce rates over 50% in most western countries, hell Birtney Spears' less than a day marriage makes headlines. What would allowing gays to marriage possibly do to worsen it?

Regarding gays adopting children, whats the difference between that, and a white and black marriage or asian and white marriage adopting a child?
1) Yeah I agree.. Marriage these days is hardly worth the paper its documented on.. Why get married when millions just abuse it, making it worthless?? I think same sex marriage makes an even bigger mockery on the whole thing.. It isnt natural, its contrived and tacky.. And its hardly likely to lower the divorce rate IMO...

2) Same sex marriage and adopting children is an absolute outrage because it denies the child a basic right which is to have a mother to look up too.. I know these kids have been displaced, but when you settle them back, they still have no mother.. It kind of defeats the whole object of settling them into new families..
If a mixed race couple can live with each other and an adopted child, then so be it.. Don't see any reason why they couldn't be as fitting as any same race heterosexual couple..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Langeveldt said:
1) Yeah I agree.. Marriage these days is hardly worth the paper its documented on.. Why get married when millions just abuse it, making it worthless?? I think same sex marriage makes an even bigger mockery on the whole thing.. It isnt natural, its contrived and tacky.. And its hardly likely to lower the divorce rate IMO...

2) Same sex marriage and adopting children is an absolute outrage because it denies the child a basic right which is to have a mother to look up too.. I know these kids have been displaced, but when you settle them back, they still have no mother.. It kind of defeats the whole object of settling them into new families..
If a mixed race couple can live with each other and an adopted child, then so be it.. Don't see any reason why they couldn't be as fitting as any same race heterosexual couple..
1) I just firmly believe that gays should be entitled to be legally married. It doesn't matter whether it has nothing to do with the church, I think its their right. By law someone with a sex change can marry right? (I may be wrong) Well I see that as more unnatural than two men or women marrying each other under the law and being able to have all the benefits of marriage such as joint contracts as well as the harmonious 'stuff'.

2) I haven't totally made up my mind about gays adopting. First off, two gay women may want to adopt, so its not the basic right of a mother that is being denied, but father too ;)

However, I am suspicious that it could cause problems as the kid grows with trauma etc. so that's why I'm not fully sold. But I think of hypocrisies. What if the law came out and said that mix race couples couldn't adopt, because it would cause possible teasing for the kid as he/she grows and matures. I mean that would be unjust right? So the way I see it, its the same for gay marriage.

However your point regarding the basic right of a father/mother is a very strong one. Much more solid than one claiming the kid may grow up suffering from trauma and anguish etc. I applaud you on that one. What I must ask though is, what's the difference between that, and a single dad raising his child due to a divorce resulting in his mother leaving or not having custardy of the children?

Just food for thought, like I said I'm not decided one way or the next on that issue. :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Its a tough one Jono..

To be honest, a single dad raising a kid (I know full well about that) isn't an ideal situation.. In fact it's pretty bad.. There is not much you can do to stop it, so long as there is divorce/custody battles etc... But there is no point in starting off in that mess! (Which is effectively what same sex raising of children does)

And AFAIK, in my experiences, a kid with a mixed race family doesn't recieve too much bullying these days (Even in my conservative area where there are very very few minority groups).. And you can't really compare it to gays adopting because that brings you straight back to the "Lack of a mother figure" point...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I can see the argument against same sex couple adoption - however if that holds, then you also have to oppose single parent adoption. I accept that neither situation is perfect, however they're a damn sight better than living in a home. The lesser of two?

As for the market - this may surprise you, but I'd love to see every single trade barrier in the world come down. There's no-one in the world this would hurt except the Western corporations preventing the third world from competing on imports - there's a ridiculous amount of comparative (and even absolute) advantage being squandered. My real problem is abuse, misappropriation and exploitation by oligopoly.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
I can see the argument against same sex couple adoption - however if that holds, then you also have to oppose single parent adoption. I accept that neither situation is perfect, however they're a damn sight better than living in a home. The lesser of two?

As for the market - this may surprise you, but I'd love to see every single trade barrier in the world come down. There's no-one in the world this would hurt except the Western corporations preventing the third world from competing on imports - there's a ridiculous amount of comparative (and even absolute) advantage being squandered. My real problem is abuse, misappropriation and exploitation by oligopoly.
I'm doing the CAP at the moment.. Makes me wonder why arable farmers have ever whinged...

And I'm not surprised at your opinion.. Im kind of leaning in that way too

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
I'm doing the CAP at the moment.. Makes me wonder why arable farmers have ever whinged...

And I'm not surprised at your opinion.. Im kind of leaning in that way too
Don't start me on the CAP.