• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What are you thinking right now?

Starfighter

I've had to submit a cover letter for about 90% of the jobs I've applied for. Hate them like the plague, but when applying for lots of graduate positions in the same industry you can at least treat them as a form letter. But a pointless and frustrating waste of time.

Flem274*

123/5
cover letters are easy. i love them because writing concise, well written shite is my corporate superpower. i have a basic structure, and i adapt the content to each application

part 1 (short) - greeting, who i am

part 2 (longest, but not '''long''') - job relevant skills and experience

part 3 (medium length) - why i want to work for them, show understanding of what they do, why i am a good choice for them

part 4 (tiny) thank you, look forward to hearing from you etc

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
cover letters are easy. i love them because writing concise, well written shite is my corporate superpower. i have a basic structure, and i adapt the content to each application

part 3 (medium length) - why i want to work for them, show understanding of what they do, why i am a good choice for them

Yeah, this is basically my approach also.

StephenZA

This is why GIHM (and many) do not consider or read them. Part 2 should be easily seen in the CV itself and part 3 is normally a bunch of phrases that are copied from the internet job advice forums.

Largely it was explained to me that good HR/or job appraisers look at CV and check relevant skills. Then will read the cover letters of people they are interested in to make final decisions and who they will give an interview to; if the cover letter comes across like a copy and paste from a job site less likely to get an interview.

Flem274*

123/5
gimh is in the minority. i can count the amount of times a cover letter was not asked for on one hand. if i was applying to gimh for a job, i would not include a cover letter but instead tasetful photography of internet media personalities and abuse him on fb messenger.

i agree on part 2, but it is expected in a cover letter. part 3 is where you can shine, because i have never read a job advice forum in my life. you only need to read the website and job info pdf of the company you're applying to and write something obviously by a human being instead of an internet hivemind.

StephenZA

gimh is in the minority. i can count the amount of times a cover letter was not asked for on one hand. if i was applying to gimh for a job, i would not include a cover letter but instead tasetful photography of internet media personalities and abuse him on fb messenger.

i agree on part 2, but it is expected in a cover letter. part 3 is where you can shine, because i have never read a job advice forum in my life. you only need to read the website and job info pdf of the company you're applying to and write something obviously by a human being instead of an internet hivemind.
Sorry my post was not meant to come across as a criticism; I believe the cover letter is important hence my original post regards the stress of getting the cover letter right. I do take GIHM's point though, and have heard it before, that cover letters are often written by rote (form letter) and lose all meaning of actually showcasing yourself, and often disregarded.

Last edited:

DriveClub

From my experience of applying Cover Letter is a formality after CV has been has been shortlisted. This is especially true in private sector in Australia but Cover Letter is more important in public sector and universities. Submitting a cover letter addressing all required selection criteria is an essential part of application process in public sector and University jobs. Cover letter is sometimes even optional when you're applying to a private company.

GoodAreasShane

Glad too hear things are looking up for you DriveClub

On a completely different note, this has to be the coldest winter I can ever remember in my entire lifetime, wearing the thickest jumper I have with a jacket over the top and I am still halfway freezing my arse off out here. Not pleasant, that

DriveClub

Glad too hear things are looking up for you DriveClub

On a completely different note, this has to be the coldest winter I can ever remember in my entire lifetime, wearing the thickest jumper I have with a jacket over the top and I am still halfway freezing my arse off out here. Not pleasant, that
Thanks bro, it's a really good job as well so things not too bad. Yeah agree about winter. After experiencing very hot summer with bush fires this is another extreme

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Maybe it's industry or company specific, but where I work I'm definitely not in the minority.

Would welcome your application method though

zorax

likes this
i need caffeine

if i make a coffee, i need to clean my mug before and after. also, we don't have good coffee here

if i make a black tea, the same issues with the mug applies, and also black tea is kinda mediocre

we have redbull, but it's 11 AM

thoughts?

Uppercut

I was reading up on all the Chris Cairns match fixing stuff and when did he start to look like Emperor Palpatine's even more evil twin?