• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What are you thinking right now?

trundler

My mental health took a real downward turn in the last month or so. My anxiety flared up and I was too afraid of failing to start working on things I needed to. Slowly pulled myself out of a slumber. :)

Sidenote: anyone have any advice for the SAT?

honestbharani

Glad you are doing better, trundy. Always feel free to reach out here... You are taking the US SAT? Or is it what it is called in Pak too? We in Chennai had this monster called TNPCEE... I hated all of it.

trundler

Glad you are doing better, trundy. Always feel free to reach out here... You are taking the US SAT? Or is it what it is called in Pak too? We in Chennai had this monster called TNPCEE... I hated all of it.
Yeah, the US SAT it is. I know I have it better than most people and so I don't want to complain but being locked inside hasn't done me any good. It's hard to remain motivated and that'd make me feel awful in turn. Hard to describe exactly what it was but I'd been feeling awful for weeks and it probably got amplified by the isolation. CW helps me get through most days.

Shri

Had a friend randomly start a conversation about suicide on WhatsApp. Like philosophically. Like how it was wrong and ****. Dude you know I am not mentally equipped to have an opinion about this stuff so why ask me about it? Couldn't agree with him and I ended up talking about approaching it from a position of empathy, while acknowledging that it was a terrible act for people all around.

The conversation ended with him thanking me so I freaked out and then contacted his people to check in on him.

Now he's pissed at me. Fmd.

honestbharani

Yeah, the US SAT it is. I know I have it better than most people and so I don't want to complain but being locked inside hasn't done me any good. It's hard to remain motivated and that'd make me feel awful in turn. Hard to describe exactly what it was but I'd been feeling awful for weeks and it probably got amplified by the isolation. CW helps me get through most days.

Yeah, it is tough for me in my mid 30s, can only imagine how having to be cooped up at home when you just turned 18 can make you feel. But try to find a way to reignite your passion. You are about to enter the peak years of your life and you are an intellectually aligned person, so what you study and where you study will surely make a difference. Just remember that this situation is temporary but your education and experiences will be with you your whole life. Just start off by going through what you are already good at. It may help you feel a bit more confident and then you can start getting into stuff you find harder. Usually helps me when I am trying to get something done while at a loss for any motivation to get stuff done.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Had a friend randomly start a conversation about suicide on WhatsApp. Like philosophically. Like how it was wrong and ****. Dude you know I am not mentally equipped to have an opinion about this stuff so why ask me about it? Couldn't agree with him and I ended up talking about approaching it from a position of empathy, while acknowledging that it was a terrible act for people all around.

The conversation ended with him thanking me so I freaked out and then contacted his people to check in on him.

Now he's pissed at me. Fmd.

Friend being pissed at you works itself out over time. But I think you did the right thing, Shri. Don't worry too much about it. A life is always greater than a temporary squabble.

Last edited:

vcs

trundler, you're planning to apply to foreign universities? How's the admissions scene like these days with the COVID travel restrictions etc?

Glad to hear you're better, keep your spirits up.

Shri

Me to parents:

"You guys want some peanut based curry today?"

Them:

"Great!"

While eating:

Them: Sad face.jpg

Me: ****ing what now?

Them: It tastes a bit like peanuts.

**** me.

Line and Length

My thoughts are all with you younger people who have restrictions imposed due to the virus. I'm lucky living in a part of the world where I can still get out to play golf, shop and dine-in at restaurants. Such freedoms are wasted, to an extent, on an old fogey who can happily entertain himself at home. Take care guys.

honestbharani

Very nice of you to say that L&L but happiness and the ability to enjoy life is not and should not be the prerogative of any demographic. I just hope they find medicines for this virus (vaccines take a while) and we can somehow get back to normal.

Shady Slim

@trundler, remember you’ve always got a community here to lean on - i know it’s easy for me to say but seriously the worst thing you can do with anxiety would be to bottle things up when it’s starting to fire up, and you can always vent here or to one of us tbh. very glad to hear you’re doing better

just as an aside, what is the education system like there in pakistan? a mate of mine from work (born there, came here for school, went back after graduating and is back here for work and for postgrad) told me there’s a lot of emphasis on memorising and regurgitating textbooks with little regard for actual, yknow, skills, critical thinking and analysis and the like, and it’s all geared towards sermonising what’s in the textbook. true?

honestbharani

That defines the school system of both India and Pakistan, tbh.

We are really just one country if we only we could sort out the problem child that is Kashmir.

vcs

@trundler, remember you’ve always got a community here to lean on - i know it’s easy for me to say but seriously the worst thing you can do with anxiety would be to bottle things up when it’s starting to fire up, and you can always vent here or to one of us tbh. very glad to hear you’re doing better

just as an aside, what is the education system like there in pakistan? a mate of mine from work (born there, came here for school, went back after graduating and is back here for work and for postgrad) told me there’s a lot of emphasis on memorising and regurgitating textbooks with little regard for actual, yknow, skills, critical thinking and analysis and the like, and it’s all geared towards sermonising what’s in the textbook. true?
Well, that's a bit of a generalization. There is an emphasis on rote learning to crack exams (probably true in all education systems, and since ours have to cater to a huge population, it's probably a bit more pronounced than others), but we certainly do produce our fair share of decent engineers, scientists, STEM graduates etc.

vcs

That defines the school system of both India and Pakistan, tbh.

We are really just one country if we only we could sort out the problem child that is Kashmir.
Well, you studied in TN Board, didn't you? That's notorious for people mugging up and half the population getting ~1190/1200. :p No wonder they all used to end up in BITS Pilani (when their admission system was Board marks-based).

CBSE isn't that bad.