• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who have you grown an admiration for in this world cup?

Victor Ian

Pretty much as the title says.

Rohit Sharma: this guy is now added to Kohli and Dhoni as Indians I think are the ****. Except against Oz I am a big fanboy now, wanting to see him get more hundreds. I like that he doesn't start big but gets himself in before going big.

Ben Stokes: That Ben Stokes thread where everyone dumped on him for being a **** human being clouded my judgement of him. He has rather impressed me as the real deal, after previously writing him off as a Flintoff wannabe. He is now very much himself, rather than a copy.

Johnny Bairstow: Until now, he was just that likeable guy who greets you with a headbutt. I really like the way this guy bats. Until Australia faltered to draw England in the semis I was really hoping to see him score 3 hundreds in a row to shut up all those ducks who alluded to him not being so bright after his presser the other day. I think the guy is a genius. Pitches have suddenly reverted back to pee world cup expectations and he has handled the pressure with aplomb.

Jaspit Bumbag: I already thought he was ace but each game I watch I just continue to wonder how high he will be regarded come the end.

Faf Du Pleisis: as has been stated by others, very under rated. Im a big fan of the way he leads his team from the front.

zorax

likes this
How do you 'grow an admission'

I've grown to admire Saifuddin tbh. Not the most talented but he's got some skills and a real hunger for staying in the game, and that's very valuable

Alex Carey has really caught my eye too

Daemon

Everyone was saying Wahab would go at 8 an over but he bowled well with some serious pace and fire, which is even more impressive when you consider the fact that he’s a 34 year old. Was a joy to watch and his overall figures don’t do the bowling justice.

His batting was really fun too.

TheJediBrah

Rasheen Afridi

on the opposite side of the spectrum, lost my admission for Rashid Khan (not really tbh, I never expected the world's oldest 19 year old to actually be that good at proper international cricket, but everyone else seemed to)

Last edited:

Burgey

Carey - gone to another level
Stokes - stands up when the rest fail. Still a rubbish human, it needs to be said
Ferguson - good wheels, terrific impact
Al Hasan - one of the great WC performances

I can't really include the likes of Root, Sharma, Amir, Warner or Wahab, as I had a very high regard for them as players before hand.

stephen

Pretty much agree with Burgey here.

As I said in the world cup draft thread the one player who has destroyed their reputation this world cup has been Rashid Khan. He's been utterly woeful, which is surprising since he has all the tools to be dominant at this level. He was at best the second best Afghan spinner as well. Maybe the pressure got to him.

I'd also like to say that Hope, Hetmyer and Pooran all look like the real deal and are the core of a solid West Indian team for the next world cup. If they can get Russell fit, find a spinner and start playing like a team they have a real shot at making the semis next time around.

Babar I already rated highly, but he's gone up in my estimation. Imam has lifted in my eyes as well.

Sri Lanka has been a woeful pit of despair except for that emerging all rounder Matthews who could make a name for himself if he keeps it up ;).

South Africa has been a train wreck mostly.

Roy and Bairstow have proved to be the real deal this tournament.

Warner has enhanced his reputation.

Burgey

Carey has genuinely looked a completely different player to the one who's been around the past few years. Like, not just "Played at his best this tourney, good stuff", but properly transformed himself. Crazy stuff.

morgieb

Yeah Carey's stunned me. Pooran, Afridi, Ferguson and Archer also surprise packets.

Similarly I think Roy and Shakib are two blokes who were already good but outperformed my expectations. Also surprised at how good Warner's been.

trundler

I wasn't sold on Bairstow before the World Cup but I am now. Awesome batsman. Fighter. Didn't really rate Imam at all, thought he was going to be another Nasir Jamshed. Got that one majorly wrong. Echo the sentiment about Stokes. Thought he was a bit of a knobhead. His bowling has gone up a level. Used to be very expensive but now he's keeping it tight and piling up the runs. DEGROMMMEND and Pandya are 2 all rounders I was completely wrong about it. Posters from their nations lead me to believe that they were bits and pieces players but nope, both awesome and entertaining all rounders.

I don't know how to feel about Shakib. At first I was like yay, that'll put the ignorant minnow bashing accusations to rest but 600 runs that's ****ing insane from an all rounder. Been rooting for him a lot.

I have a newfound respect for Shami and Amir also.

vcs

Yea Imam is excellent. Babar and him should have very good careers for Pakistan.

OverratedSanity

Ive always liked Haris in particular. Shame he's already 30. They've wasted a lot of time with Hafeez and Malik in the team instead of him.

vcs

Hafeez is a weird one. Always looks a million dollars when he bats... until he hits one straight down deep midwicket's throat off a part-timer.

trundler

Yeah, Haris should've been locked into the #4 position like 5 years ago. How good was that six down the ground again Boult I think.