• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who have you grown an admiration for in this world cup?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He's a lot prettier to watch than Gayle, for instance.
This is a pretty low bar though. Shakib is definitely pretty ugly to watch for someone who is neither crap nor turgid IMO. Gayle obviously takes the cake in this category though.

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

Souljah Boi has been pretty good prior to the world cup, but I love him even more now.
Same about Fabien Allen. I hope he continues to improve on his bowling and batting; fielding is already next level.
Pooran has been a classy batsman ever since I saw him in a club game (which I was an umpire in, amazed at his ball hittting) against my club, Albion in 2010

shifty_eyes

Afghanistan - Mohammad Nabi (Calm under pressure), Mujeeb Ur Rahman (Consistent performer)
Australia - Alex Carey (Dangerous player, must avoid in finals, if)
Bangladesh (although almost every player in their team has gained respect among spectators, few were exceptionally good) - Shakib Al Hasan (Clearly a veteran now), Mushfiqur Rahim (Can be a match winner), Mustafizur Rahman ( Matured bowler), Mahmudullah (Somewhat reliable)
Pakistan - Haris Sohail (Very un-Pakistani batting temperament)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Also add Rahmat Shah
I was actually kind of disappointed with Rahmat. I'm a long-time fanboi so I guess I rated him more than most to start with, but if you told me that he and Hashmatullah were going to only score one half century between them at the start of the tournament, my reaction probably would've been "ouch, they could easily lose every game without either of them making a big score" ... and that's exactly what happened.

He looked really good and got plenty of starts but he's always done that. Given the role he's been given in the team to more or less just bat and not worry about the run rate, I was hoping for an average a fair bit better than 28.

vcs

When you watch Afghanistan bat, Rahmat's technique stands out a mile. Good player, will keep an eye out for him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
When you watch Afghanistan bat, Rahmat's technique stands out a mile. Good player, will keep an eye out for him.
2013 Cribb strongly agrees:

My first look at Rahmat; really liking the look of his technique. Good footwork and has lots of time; could have problems falling over to the off side so he should watch out for the Mooney leg stump half volley (lol) but it's nice to watch.

I didn't get to see him bowl but he came on second change and took three wickets bowling leggies and he's only 20 years old; exciting cricketer.

wrongun

Banned
I would nominate myself for having woken up at 5.30 am, watching part of the game, and then continuing to do so at work while actually getting work done and dealing with pointless drama. Having said that, if you're talking about players, I'd say David Warner, Johnny Bairstow, Nicholas Pooran and Jaspreet Bumrah.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I dont think Cottrell has been mentioned yet so ill add him to the list. The early wickets, the salute and the top outfielding has been great to see.

A slightly underrated pick too is Neesham, especially his bowling. Ive enjoyed his spells.

Pooran is a funny one. I rated him really highly watching Caribbean PL a few years back. He was a guy that I was keeping a key eye on. When I saw him named to bat at 4 thougj I was thinking thats way too high, so ive regrown my admiration for him.

SillyCowCorner1

I dont think Cottrell has been mentioned yet so ill add him to the list. The early wickets, the salute and the top outfielding has been great to see.

Pooran is a funny one. I rated him really highly watching Caribbean PL a few years back. He was a guy that I was keeping a key eye on. When I saw him named to bat at 4 thougj I was thinking thats way too high, so ive regrown my admiration for him.
Yes...a few posts before yours.