• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your top non-international matches

Bijed

A lot of the conversations we have on here, as well as a large number of my real-word conversations, involve the great test matches and ODI's we've watched and will remember forever. This thread is to share the love with the County Championship, Sheffield Shield, IPL etc matches that gripped you, or you just loved for whatever reason.

As a recent example, the second half of this one held my attention pretty well

Edit: Actually, might as well make the thread "Your top non-international matches and indivudal performances". If a mod could change the thread title accordingly, I'd be very grateful.

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

There's one I will always remember.

A Busta Cup FC game in early 2000s.

Guyana was playing Leewards. Whichever team got first innings points in a drawn game would advanced to the final.

Guyana batted first and made 400+. Hooper made a double century. Leewards were going great guns on the third day. Stuart Williams with an unbeaten double century. Rain came in on the final day and spoiled the party.

The grounsdmen worked really hard to get the ground suitable for play, but the rain just fell gently in the afternoon. I believe some play was possible.

Leewards almost got to Guyana's score and the match was decided as drawn.

*I'll have to dig up the scorecard soon.

This match will always be on my memory. I was in school, and usually the schools would dismiss us for the half day, so we can go over to the ground to watch the cricket.

Chubb

This game had me glued to my phone at work one morning in 2017. (D/N)Specsavers County Championship Division One at Chelmsford, Jun 26-29 2017 | Match Summary | ESPNCricinfo

Murray Goodwin’s knock in this match is the best domestic innings I’ve seen live: https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2006/may/29/cricket.sport2. Was at a very difficult time in my life and will always stick in my memory.

In 1995, when I was 9, my grandad took me to Lords one day. Middlesex were playing Kent in the county championship and Aravinda de Silva was batting. I can’t remember anything else about that day except the sound of Aravinda’s bat and the ball thumping into the boundary boards.

Edit - found the scorecard of the 1995 game - Aravinda scores two 50s. I don’t know which one we saw: http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1995/ENG_LOCAL/CC/R16/MIDDX_KENT_CC_17-21AUG1995.html

Last edited:

cpr

If Heef's not around, then I can safely say this

Natwest Trophy Final 1996

Remember catching the second innings of this at my uncles and being fascinated by it. Had played a bit of cricket at school but this is what made me fall in love with it.

SillyCowCorner1

Something I may not be familiar with.

Why is the Ranji Trophy final (refer to the scorecard provided a posts up) a five-dy affair?

OverratedSanity

Those run outs at the end, wtf :laugh:
Poor Vengsarkar had a runner too, so the runouts werent even technically his fault.

Also, it was Kuruvilla's FC debut. Imagine getting yourself runout to lose a final by 2 runs on your debut with an Indian great on 130 at the other end. Brutal stuff.

Borges

Something I may not be familiar with.

Why is the Ranji Trophy final (refer to the scorecard provided a posts up) a five-dy affair?
Knock out games in the Ranji Trophy (Quarter-finals on wards, these days) have always been five day affairs.

Burgey

That domestic one day final between SA and NSW when Tait tore into the nsw top order was a great game.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is this why they decided to have Finch open in Tests
Nah that was because of "all format tons", which turned out to be mainly Langer not understanding how cricket stats work.

That game is the reason why when people quote Finch's FC average as opener it's not as horrible as you might expect from reading Australian CW posts, though.

Daemon

Nah that was because of "all format tons", which turned out to be mainly Langer not understanding how cricket stats work.
Haha was this when he added Test and FC tons together or something stupid.

Such a spud. Can't believe he had such widespread support from guys like Ponting and Chappel.

Kirkut

I actually enjoy watching Ranji Trophy. The thing about club cricketers is that they are good players but more relatable to us common crowd and not superhumans like Kohli, ABD, Smith, Steyn, Williamson and etc. Also the whites they wear have no sponsors on them. This brings simplicity to the game.