• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Calling your mom's mates "Auntie"

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyone else find this practice stupid?

No, your friend is not my child's Aunt. Stop referring to her as that, it's bad enough I have to acknowledge the title for your sister. **** off

Aw balls I cocked the title up .

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Does it not happen in NZ Flem?

I've reported my own post to have the correct punctuation inserted into the title

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Doesn't generally happen with the dads mates. I've never once tried to tell my kids they have an Uncle Sledger ffs.

Anil

It’s fairly common practice in India, or at least it was when I was there...and both on the Dad’s and Mom’s side...

cpr

Yeah it happens, my grans next door neighbour was known as Aunty, though never considered her daughter a cousin. Good thing in the long run I suppose

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Do you call him uncle, like if you're talking to him say 'hey uncle, shouldn't Spark, Dan and Teja resign?'

Or just behind his back, ie, 'so I said to my Uncle, Fusion absolutely has to be sacked.'

I still remember where I was* the first time I heard my mate call his uncle 'Uncle' in conversation and it blew my mind

*NB I was in my mate's living room and his uncle was also there

cpr

I don't call my uncles uncle, but do my aunties aunty. But then the latter still see me as a sweet young boy and the former see me as the person who's round it is.

Neptune

Do you call him uncle, like if you're talking to him say 'hey uncle, shouldn't Spark, Dan and Teja resign?'

Or just behind his back, ie, 'so I said to my Uncle, Fusion absolutely has to be sacked.'

I still remember where I was* the first time I heard my mate call his uncle 'Uncle' in conversation and it blew my mind

You what

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

cpr

Also talking of Godparents, who's were actually their aunty/uncle. Seems to be how it's been in our family, but then there are ****ing millions of them so I suppose you can share the responsibilities around. Also being the oldest of one of my six million cousins, it was probably a way of giving a bit of responsibility to a couple of my mums younger siblings.

Also, two sets of Godparents - when did this become a thing?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I dont have Godparents as I'm a heathen

And because of this I wasn't allowed to be godfather to my nephew, they stuck an asterisk next to me basically. Ffs

cpr

True fact: Lying in church about being a good Christian doesn't actually make you burn

Just cross your fingers or something when making the pledges