• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Calling your mom's mates "Auntie"

harsh.ag

Have stopped doing that. Old people in India get very agitated when you call them by their first name. Fun.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
As it is, I don't even call my actual Aunties/Uncles Aunty/Uncle tbh. Have always just called them by their first names.

Don't call my parents mum or dad either, and use their first names too.

Though actually, I do occasionally call my dad "father". This is because, due to him being from oop north, he finds this very poncy and thus it winds him up.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
this is some proper white people **** i'll never be able to understand
I think it's just me being a weirdo tbh

It actually goes against my usual policy of not using anyone's name unless absolutely necessary as well

Using someone's real name when talking to them (it's ok when referring to them when they are not there though) feels overly formal to me, makes me feel uncomfortable, and is a sign of a lack of familiarity with/fondness for that person

Last edited:

cpr

I'm with you on that TBH. It just feels a bit odd doing it unless I'm trying to get their attention from a distance. Even on phone calls I tend not to do it.

Burgey

I suppose calling your mum's mates "Auntie" has more going for it than calling them over for a <REDACTED BY DAN>

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'm with you on that TBH. It just feels a bit odd doing it unless I'm trying to get their attention from a distance. Even on phone calls I tend not to do it.
Yeah, exactly. The only time I use someone's name (unless I am speaking to my parents of course), is when I want to get their attention (and social cues and gestures are not enough etc.) or when I am referring to them/something they have done, in a conversation with others.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...e-worst-baby-names-in-existence-a6694971.html

Some of these are ****ing hilarious.

A French couple have been banned from naming their son Prince William after a court ruled the use of the second-in-line to the throne's name could lead to a “lifetime of mockery”.
Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii - A 9-year-old child in New Zealand was made a ward of the court after her parents named her this.
*** Fruit - A name rejected by a court in New Zealand. Monikers including Mafia No Fear and Lucifer are also banned in the country.
Nutella - Earlier this year a French court banned a couple trying to name their child after the chocolate and hazelnut spread.
:laugh: