• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Calling your mom's mates "Auntie"

Red_Ink_Squid

Growing up in Birmingham I'd refer to close family friends from a South Asian background as Uncle/Auntie but not our white British family friends. (With the exception of one white British couple who were family friends from time in India which I guess made it normal?)

I see the practice quite often now and without that ethnic divide. We refer to my eldest's godparents as Uncle X and Auntie Y. I do find it a bit weird though when friends have introduced themselves to my son as 'Auntie Z' - no you're not he just calls you Z, you're not a close enough friend for this.

Daemon

Yeah common here.

In fact here it’s a thing to call elderly service staff uncle and auntie too. Like if you go to the hawker centre you’ll be like “uncle one chicken rice please”. It’s weird now that I think about it.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think it's less common than it used to be. When I was smaller my parents had some close friends who we'd call aunty and uncle. I think it's a weird hierarchical thing of the past where calling an adult by their first name is a sign of disrespect but them being friends of your parents saying "mr or mrs" is too formal, so you call them aunty or uncle. But it's usually followed by their name, not just "hey aunty, can we go play in the pool?" it'd be "hey Aunty Suzie"or "yo Uncle Pete"

cpr

Yeah common here.

In fact here it’s a thing to call elderly service staff uncle and auntie too. Like if you go to the hawker centre you’ll be like “uncle one chicken rice please”. It’s weird now that I think about it.

Agreed, who calls their kid One Chicken Rice?

Apart from Zorax obv

Adders

I tell you what's a weirder practise IMO........calling your inlaws mum and dad. My parents both did it to their respective mothers/fathers in law and I found it strange AF. No way I was ever following on that ****.

vcs

You know you've grown old in India, when you walk by some kids playing cricket, the ball comes near you and one of the cheeky buggers yells out "Uncle, jara ball dena" :(

Teja.

Global Moderator
Every person 10+ older than you that you don't know is an aunty or an uncle along with several people you do know who are not your parents, teachers or colleagues.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I called a couple of my mum's friends auntie and at least one of my dad's friends uncle when I grew up.

My ex has a couple of very close friends my wee one calls auntie.

I haven't tended to do it with my friends, with the exception perhaps of my wee one's godfather. I'm also godfather to his son, my best mate refers to me as 'uncle' when I'm around but I don't think his son actually calls me it.