• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Corporate Mafia - Game Thread

honestbharani

Don't belittle yourself. You can only make do with what you have and it is so much easier having a QT to use for sounding out ideas. You were pretty on song all game. You got srbhkshk right. There was nothing else for you to find as this game had stuff all visiting roles after marcuss was dead and srbhkshk was a ninja.
I enjoyed your brief stay in Intern's QT too.

You were really solid. Dunno if you have ever played or followed mafia before and if you have not, it is to your credit that I felt you were an experienced player the way you were playing. We could have done better had we not had the Halsey 3P role at all in the game I guess. :)

Teja.

Global Moderator
Criticising Howe for the RTB misfire is very much results oriented thinking. His logic was pretty sound considering we were aiming to finish the game next day and the biggest obstacle to that were RTB's reports.

RTB was not very prominent in the discussion for the 2 days before that and assuming the doctor was random within the available unclaimed players, I'd put the probability of doctor deciding precisely to be on RTB to be below 20%. That play by RiS was just too good for us that night.

honestbharani

Couple of other factors that helped the game fall the way it did was I don't think anyone ever guessed there being 3 3P. I did float it once in the QT when we had recruited RTB that there is a chance he maybe 3P but I never considered it seriously. Guess no one else did either until the very end even in the maf thread. Also, sledger being busy with work and not avl to play the game with interest and GIMH knowing it through his personal rapport with sledger was kinda killer as otherwise, they may have tried for a lynch on him than AZH. That might have woken up sledger a bit too.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Couple of other factors that helped the game fall the way it did was I don't think anyone ever guessed there being 3 3P. I did float it once in the QT when we had recruited RTB that there is a chance he maybe 3P but I never considered it seriously. Guess no one else did either until the very end even in the maf thread. Also, sledger being busy with work and not avl to play the game with interest and GIMH knowing it through his personal rapport with sledger was kinda killer as otherwise, they may have tried for a lynch on him than AZH. That might have woken up sledger a bit too.
I picked out AZH as out lynch target from D2 in our QT because of his really suss posting tbh.

honestbharani

Yeah, I am not exactly sure when it was that GIMH mentioned that in your QT, but I just assumed it made it easier for you guys to work out your target towards AZH.

srbhkshk

Our options were severely limited, we had to go for a person who either your group or the free towners would vote for. Sledger just wasn't that suspect at all.

In fact from our perspective TH was basically the last lynch we could get, no one after that could be mis-lynched.

Uppercut

Sledger and GIMH being friends is more likely to work the opposite way imo. The better I know someone, the less I want to lose a game to them. Especially when it involves being successfully lied to.

A couple of times when I've been mislynched I've suspected that some players I'm friends with didn't think I was lying, but would especially hate to have been fooled by it if it turned out that I was.

honestbharani

Sledger and GIMH being friends is more likely to work the opposite way imo. The better I know someone, the less I want to lose a game to them. Especially when it involves being successfully lied to.

A couple of times when I've been mislynched I've suspected that some players I'm friends with didn't think I was lying, but would especially hate to have been fooled by it if it turned out that I was.

I didn't mean in terms of throwing the game or anything. I meant GIMH knew sledger won't be active coz of his personal friendship and that helped them decide the target for the mislynch to be AZH. I am just guessing obviously, but had sledger not been tied down with work, maybe GIMH would have pushed for sledger to be the ML that day phase.

Uppercut

Our options were severely limited, we had to go for a person who either your group or the free towners would vote for. Sledger just wasn't that suspect at all.

In fact from our perspective TH was basically the last lynch we could get, no one after that could be mis-lynched.
Yeah not 100% but I think sledger could have claimed double-voter and proven it by the timing of one of the hammers, like I did in ECB mafia. The Interns QT seemed to work out there was a double voter out there.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not sure if many will agree, but if I was in your shoes I'd have played it this way.

I'd have said, I got a report on GIMH last night and he layered someone. My report didn't say who.

Would have been a harder position for me to take a partial stance on, and you've not shot your whole load so potentially get Teja chatting **** you can use later on.

That way if you do manage to land the lynch on me, you have everyone's trust when you tell them that actually you did know who I lawyered, it was Teja.

Might not have worked because you'd have still called everyone an asshole the second they didn't believe you, but.

@Shri

Daemon

Not sure if many will agree, but if I was in your shoes I'd have played it this way.

I'd have said, I got a report on GIMH last night and he layered someone. My report didn't say who.

Would have been a harder position for me to take a partial stance on, and you've not shot your whole load so potentially get Teja chatting **** you can use later on.

That way if you do manage to land the lynch on me, you have everyone's trust when you tell them that actually you did know who I lawyered, it was Teja.

Might not have worked because you'd have still called everyone an asshole the second they didn't believe you, but.

@Shri
Yep, this was my thinking as well. I think Athlai mentioned it too.

VI and Shri both made the mistake of getting a bit too involved when responding to accusations. But if they're consistent with it then in the long run it might help them because they'll be hard to read.

Uppercut

@Shri
Not sure about this, would be a disastrous play if maf had a sniper.

Uppercut

I think Shri's best play was just to not lose the rag tbh. Pretty sure the main motivation a lot of Town had for lynching him was how annoying he was being. The thread was becoming a chore to read.

Victor Ian

Yeah not 100% but I think sledger could have claimed double-voter and proven it by the timing of one of the hammers, like I did in ECB mafia. The Interns QT seemed to work out there was a double voter out there.
srbhkshk kept on ruining out ability to determine it was sledger by jumping on as double hammer just before Daemon would post. If that was intentional, then very well done. Obviously you guys knew because you contained the other three, but we could never know for sure until the last day, because it was always an option that mafia had the double vote and was 1 less player than we were presuming.

Teja.

Global Moderator
By the time of the day of the UC lynch, town was drowning in misinformation. While the lynch was a sub-optimal lynch as I stupidly outlined in detail in the thread before flipping, I wouldn't be anywhere as harsh as people are being especially considering a then-normal-if-quiet Halsey showing up and casually clearing Howe and RIS not ccing Howe (I understood why RIS did what he did and it worked but nevertheless VI did not have that info at the time he voted for the UC lynch so you can't blame him that much).

The only truly awful play by town in this game which set the tone of the entire game in hindsight was lynching Shri in contrast to just lynching me again that night for a NL. I don't think the reason UC mentioned of Shri obviously looking like he was telling the truth was even the most important reason that lynching Shri was a bad play. Even if there were folks who were sceptical of Shri's claims, if you lynched me that night and I turned up guilty, me and GIMH are down by the next day. If you lynched me that night and I turned up innocent, (i) town gets a nice NL when there was no hurry at all considering maf kill failed the night before, (ii) confirmed unlynchable player + confirmed cop, (iii) Shri gets lynched as a baddie the next day and (iv) town can move forward to be more productive.

There was nothing Town was gaining from a Shri lynch that you were not gaining from asking me to do my Houdini routine again on a night you otherwise should've gone to NL anyway. The Shri lynch which we got with the wide support of town was the moment the game was truly lost imo.

Town should definitely have caught us out after Shri's death but staying on track for that was much harder considering both me and GIMH actually said we mostly believe Shri even before he died and the game had moved on to UC/Howe by the next day.

Last edited:

Victor Ian

I know i personally kept on going for you. I got tired of reading my posts in the end with no support. I largely gave up trying, which is to mafia's credit.

Red_Ink_Squid

By the time of the day of the UC lynch, town was drowning in misinformation. While the lynch was a sub-optimal lynch as I stupidly outlined in detail in the thread before flipping, I wouldn't be anywhere as harsh as people are being especially considering a then-normal-if-quiet Halsey showing up and casually clearing Howe and RIS not ccing Howe (I understood why he did what he did and it worked but nevertheless VI did not have that info at the time of the lynch).

The only truly awful play by town in this game which set the tone of the entire game in hindsight was lynching Shri in contrast to just lynching me again that night for a NL. I don't think the reason UC mentioned of Shri obviously looking like he was telling the truth was even the most important reason that lynching Shri was a bad play. Even if there were folks who were sceptical of Shri's claims, if you lynched me that night and I turned up guilty, me and GIMH are down by the next day. If you lynched me that night and I turned up innocent, (i) town gets a nice NL when there was no hurry at all considering maf kill failed the night before, (ii) confirmed unlynchable player + confirmed cop, (iii) Shri gets lynched as a baddie the next day and (iv) town can move forward to be more productive.

There was nothing Town was gaining from a Shri lynch that you were not gaining from asking me to do my Houdini routine again on a night you otherwise should've gone to NL anyway. The Shri lynch which we got with the wide support of town was the moment the game was truly lost imo.

Town should definitely have caught us out after Shri's death but staying on track for that was much harder considering both me and GIMH actually said we mostly believe Shri even before he died and the game had moved on to UC/Howe by the next day.
D2 I had always planned to push lynching you Teja if it looked like going to NL as it was easy to explain how one was better than the other.

But early in the day there didn't seem any appetite for it (UC/Halsey/Howe all went to bat for unlynchable = Town) plus I was worried that if you were maf the mechanism wasn't as simple as one-off veto (I posted my other theories later on in the game). I genuinely thought lynching Shri was the more surefire way of confirming whether you were Maf. And it did. We just stuffed up the follow through.

Teja.

Global Moderator
D2 I had always planned to push lynching you Teja if it looked like going to NL as it was easy to explain how one was better than the other.

But early in the day there didn't seem any appetite for it (UC/Halsey/Howe all went to bat for unlynchable = Town) plus I was worried that if you were maf the mechanism wasn't as simple as one-off veto (I posted my other theories later on in the game). I genuinely thought lynching Shri was the more surefire way of confirming whether you were Maf. And it did. We just stuffed up the follow through.
Haha I guess UC, Halsey and Howe had very motivated reasoning though. I also felt like the idea of doing it came up when there were already like 6-7 votes on Shri by which time it was probably too late to calm down town.

Still think that you should at least have pressured me on it to see if I'd commit. Fair though that it was unreasonable to expect so many of the posters who were not involved in the dispute actually being 3P/maf.

Someone basically needed to take the line at the very start of the day that unless you have something concrete, we're lynching Teja again here.

Last edited: