• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW decides... the best movies of all time

Teja.

Global Moderator
It's not the most thought out list, I'd probably make a few changes at the bottom of the list if I spent more time doing it but I really did enjoy every movie I listed so happy to go with this:

1. Quiz Show
2. Rounders
3. Office Space
4. Uncut Gems
5. The Prestige
6. The Social Network
7. Gaslight
8. Witness for the Prosecution
9. A Clockwork Orange
10. Moneyball
11. Parasite
12. Reservoir Dogs
13. Goodfellas
14. Dog Day Afternoon
15. Glengarry Glen Ross
16. 500 Days of Summer
17. Annie Hall
18. The King of Comedy
19. The Departed
20. Up

Mike5181

You guys are reminding me of so many films that I enjoyed yet, in my rush, overlooked on my list.
One that isn't in that category is Mike's #1 "Woman in the Dunes". I saw it at a film festival the year it was released and it confused me at the time. Perhaps now I'm a little older (and hopefully wiser) I might get a better grasp of the film.
Most movies out of that Japanese New Wave period are a bit out there, although Woman in the Dunes is probably one of the more accessible/tamer ones. Definitely not recommendations I'd just be throwing around to anyone though.

AndyZaltzHair

Not in any order

1) pulp fiction
2) 2001- a space odyssey
3) full metal jacket
4) godfather
5) scarface
6) taxi driver
7) gangs of wasseypur
8) memories of murder
9) the terminator 2
10) the silence of the lambs
11) shawshank redemption
12) once upon a time in america
13) the good the bad and the ugly
14) joker
15) interstellar
16) fargo
17) the audition
18) fight club
19) dazed and confused
20) apocalypse now

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Anyway this is really just a favourites list, right?

1. The Prestige
2. The Godfather Pt. 1
3. There Will Be Blood
4. Apocalypse Now
5. 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days
6. Fargo
7. Interstellar
8. The Deer Hunter
9. The Shining
10. Stalker
11. North by Northwest
12. Howl's Moving Castle
13. Rushmore
14. Hot Fuzz
15. Stalingrad (1993)
16. Breathless
17. The Blues Brothers
18. Singin' in the Rain
19. Godfather Pt. II
20. The Royal Tenenbaums

edit: thought it was only 15 for some reason

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
Haha, everyone else's list has a lot more universally well regarded classics than mine. My TV shows list was a lot more conventional too.

Reading through, most of my movies that are on my list are (i) anti-work deconstructions of the modern workplace which I've watched over the last few years (ii) mystery/psych thrillers with very satisfying endings which I've been a sucker for since I was a kid (iii) movies which perfectly capture the vibe of the mind on gambling - Rounders for instance is just a standard 'good' movie if you haven't played poker extensively but is an absolute masterpiece which rewards you greatly if you have and (iv) the two manic pixie girl movies which I watched when I was in my late teens and deeply in love, thought was the best **** ever and haven't watched again.

Quiz Show is my favourite movie ever because of the three extremely strong, vastly different protagonists (the academic born into academic royalty, the harvard lawyer giving up making a fortune to work in the civil service while being constantly confused about it and the socially awkward prodigy with a freakish memory) and their relationships with traversing money, fame, professional satisfaction and integrity. It's an unusually moral movie to be my favourite ever but there's not a single wasted scene through the movie. The one criticism you can make is that deviates from reality to be faithful to its archtypes of the three protagonists to a fault but it really, really works in this case.

Last edited:

Red_Ink_Squid

Haha, everyone else's list has a lot more universally well regarded classics than mine. My TV shows list was a lot more conventional too.
Not something to worry about (not that you were worrying, I don't think). I did specify 'favourite' movies rather than 'best you have seen', in the hope that people wouldn't feel an obligation to pick only critically acclaimed ones. I have two John Woo action movies and a film called Kill Zone 2 on my list so I'm not going to be judging anyone's picks here.

Edit: actually looking back at your list, most of those films are pretty highly acclaimed anyway, I think...

Last edited:

Shri

I just tried to pick ones that wowed me on the big screen with something different tbh.

StephenZA

My List is basically from when I was 20 and younger; when movies still had an ability to make me think and surprise me. Nowadays most movies I watch feel very much 'that old trope' again. Entertaining as it may be. This is not a comment that today's movies are worse but more a comment that it takes much more to surprise me now that I`m older. Why 'Leave No Trace' was unexpected and pretty brilliant for me.

I've also generally gone away from gratuitous violent films, not that I can`t watch them occasionally just lost all appeal.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Not something to worry about (not that you were worrying, I don't think). I did specify 'favourite' movies rather than 'best you have seen', in the hope that people wouldn't feel an obligation to pick only critically acclaimed ones. I have two John Woo action movies and a film called Kill Zone 2 on my list so I'm not going to be judging anyone's picks here.

Edit: actually looking back at your list, most of those films are pretty highly acclaimed anyway, I think...
Yeah, I was just referring to the absolute top of my list - Quiz Show, Rounders and to a lesser extent Office Space.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
1) Cross of Iron
2) Withnail & I
3) Trainspotting
4) A Clockwork Orange
5) Reservoir Dogs
6) The Usual Suspects
7) The Godfather
8) Apocalypse Now
9) Life of Brian
10) Blade Runner