• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lord Presents..What Made Your Day + What Ruined Your Day IV

Ausage

I've never gotten into them. I've been using my creaky old thing for so long I'm basically fused to it.

Might take the plunge on my next build though.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
the keys activate an actual mechanical switch instead of little electronic contact pads, and makes them feel a million times better and less tiring to actually type on than those horrible sponges that pass for most keyboards these days

I find it hard to use anything else these days tbh

pretty much how it went for me too. "okay let's try one of these, see what the hype is about it" [30 minutes later] "wtf this is witchcraft, how can a keyboard feel so much better"
Yeah exactly.

The one I had been given by work was just so crap. Half the keys stuck, and whenever the space bar was pressed it make this horrible squeaking noise like a rusty hinge on a door. And on top of that it just felt tacky and cheap, like the interior of a really low budget car. It had to go.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The problem is that I like the new one so much I feel like I want to have one to use at home as well now... So may have to go and buy another....

Spark

Global Moderator
I've never gotten into them. I've been using my creaky old thing for so long I'm basically fused to it.

Might take the plunge on my next build though.
try the different types of switches before making any decisions imo. based on reading I was led to believe that browns were the best for typing (which is what I wanted) and red were more for gaming, but I've actually found reds to be way more comfortable to type with

I've heard very very very good things about this, if the price isn't off-putting; https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-ctrl-mechanical-keyboard

The problem is that I like the new one so much I feel like I want to have one to use at home as well now... So may have to go and buy another....
yeah it's so easy to get weirdly obsessed with them haha

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
try the different types of switches before making any decisions imo. based on reading I was led to believe that browns were the best for typing (which is what I wanted) and red were more for gaming, but I've actually found reds to be way more comfortable to type with

I've heard very very very good things about this, if the price isn't off-putting; https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-ctrl-mechanical-keyboard

yeah it's so easy to get weirdly obsessed with them haha
I have been sat playing with all the different light settings etc. for the past 45 minutes

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
They make podcasts about Burgey now?

Still. Suppose his is just another viewpoint.
It's actually a fun show.

Episode comes out every week, they spend the first 20 mins or so talking about all of the "dino news" from around the globe. Then they usually have an interview with some dinosaur related person, usually a palaeontologist or a museum curator, but occasionally more unusual guests, like dinosaur illustrators/artists. Then the final bit of the show is always an overview/lesson on whatever their chosen dinosaur of the week is.

Love it.

Flem274*

123/5
It's actually a fun show.

Episode comes out every week, they spend the first 20 mins or so talking about all of the "dino news" from around the globe. Then they usually have an interview with some dinosaur related person, usually a palaeontologist or a museum curator, but occasionally more unusual guests, like dinosaur illustrators/artists. Then the final bit of the show is always an overview/lesson on whatever their chosen dinosaur of the week is.

Love it.
name please?

Burgey

i have never heard of these keyboards before

typing on my $20 keyboard from pbtech here
Guys, you’re actually getting excited over something which sounds as though it gives you the same sensation as using an electric type writer

Is this the tech version of everyone going back to vinyl records or something? Because typewriters were a ****ing pain in the keyster.

Top_Cat

Basically, yeah it’s a retro thing. The old IBM machines from the 80s and 90s had mechanical keyboards. They’re not like using a typewriter, though.

For mine, they sound and feel nicer to the user for fast typing plus they’re ****ing unbreakable. I know old hackers who still protect their keyboards with their lives. And there’s a huge array of customizations, home brew, etc. out there. But personally they’re not so much nicer that they compensate for the bloody racket they make. When you’re sharing an office, they’re a huge pain for everyone else.

Last edited:

Chewie

Linear ones aren't really as good for typing because there's no click/bump when you actuate the key.

Browns I find are good for the office because they have the actuation feel, but don't make the click noise

The one I use at home is this one:

large_1217_large_1172_A2HJ_130641405107343750FCU7W1HAJ2.jpg

At work I need the numpad so I have a Ducky One 2

Top_Cat

You can’t really say any one is better in an objective way. So much personal preference in it. As Spark said, the Cherry Brown is supposedly better for typing yet he’s gone with the Red. Some of us were very recently (last half hour) happy to discover that the old IBM-style clicky M’s are still being made, albeit by some odd little company. And the Ducky ones all look kinda nice.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
wait, that thing in the picture is just a normal keyboard. have i been using one of the things you lot are gushing over all along and i bought it for the price of 2 maccas combos?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Turns out we got my daughter a mechanical keyboard for Xmas. Reason being we bought her a gaming keyboard. Googled mechanical keyboard on the back of this thread and there you have it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Turns out we got my daughter a mechanical keyboard for Xmas. Reason being we bought her a gaming keyboard. Googled mechanical keyboard on the back of this thread and there you have it.
Yeah they were seen solely as the domain of gamers for a while; they didn't even bother making wireless ones for years because of that. They've spread in popularity in the last couple of years well beyond that, but anyone who has bought a "gaming keyboard" in the last five years or so has likely bought one.

Victor Ian

I don't really care about the feel of the click but the curved indent on the top definitely feels better. But the clickiness definitely gives me happy memories of commodore 64 days.

Victor Ian

Do yourself a favour, Burgey, and get one. You'll be subcontiously transported back to the days of Border whenever you use it.