• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Road to the 2015 Cricket World Cup

grecian

He needs to be able to lift his game at the fag end of an inning to be a number 3. He lost one game against us despite scoring a century because he didn't prioritise scoring quickly above risking his wicket. As an opener figure he can bat 40 overs - score a century and then get out and let Morgan and company do what they do best.
Well, that maybe the case, but it's a damn sight better than people not scoring runs and us getting bowled out for 200-odd. He didn't lose that match, FFS, how about all the rest of the bats that didn't get over 34, or Dirtbag going for 87, or Bres for 73. Least culpable of the lot of them IMHO. The worst case of #blameTrott perhaps ever.

ImpatientLime

He needs to be able to lift his game at the fag end of an inning to be a number 3. He lost one game against us despite scoring a century because he didn't prioritise scoring quickly above risking his wicket. As an opener figure he can bat 40 overs - score a century and then get out and let Morgan and company do what they do best.
Eh? England lost that game because after Trott's century, the next highest score was 34. That and conceding 359 when bowling.

ohnoitsyou

Jeets was a quite decent one day bowler back in the day.

Don't get the Mills hate, if he bowls out before the 35th over hes a 40/2 bowler, which any side in the world would take

Marcuss

Flem274*

123/5
Boult should be the first bowler picked IMO. Forget his overall record, he's barely played any one day stuff even domestically over the last few years. Doesn't do him enough justice now.

Forget Mills, we ain't winning squat if he's in the playing XI. Boult although unproven in ODI's has the ability to take 4/5 wicket hauls, ya know WIN you a game. Boult, Southee, Henry and Mitch M. With Milne being given plenty of chanes leading up to the tournament.
haha ok
no he wasn't

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He was an huge asset at number 3, consistency in actually scoring runs quite good for a batsman I reckon. We've missed him hugely since he's been gone.

Having said that I worry about a recall, going to the place he had troubles before, and with the big pressure of the World Cup.
Although not an identical scenario, having been through this in the past with Trescothick, I'm fairly sure they won't be calling up Trott.

Spark

Global Moderator

Don't get the Mills hate, if he bowls out before the 35th over hes a 40/2 bowler, which any side in the world would take
I don't think the Mills hate is to do with, er, his bowling figures.

GGG

I agree with Boult, definitely worth giving him another go in the lead up games. I would stick with Mills though, hasn't done a lot wrong and was and possibly still is our best ODI bowler.

Howe_zat

I'd put money on Henry to top the WC wicket-taking tally, provided he:
a) Gets picked before hand to get used to ODI cricket
b) Doesn't get injured.

Especially at the juicy odds I assume he would get.
Nah I can't see sledger getting picked in time

BeeGee

Need quality fire power this tournament, not back of a length 1-50 bowlers to go along with out unthreatening spinner in McCullum.
He's no Boult or Southee, and he sure as hell ain't a third seamer. Picking up 2/50 every ODI in meaningless games might be okay but come the World Cup it ain't good enough for an opening bowler.

Mills' performance has improved significantly in just two CW pages. If he carries on like this he'll be MOTS.

Last edited:

hendrix

Obviously if you compare Mills' record with Boult's it's not going to come out favourably for the latter. The point is that for the game plan that McHesson is taking into the world cup and banking on the conditions being at least acceptable for fast bowling, Boult offers far more in terms of wicket taking ability and the ability to actually get good, Test class batsmen out as opposed to just stifling them on slow pitches.

It comes down to whether or not we think that Boult has corrected his susceptibility to getting smashed in limited overs cricket. Going by his recent performances, I tend to think he has.

BeeGee

What recent performances? He hasn't played a 50 over game since April.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Erm Mills does get good batsmen out in ODIs.

We're basing all this on what, a couple of Champions League matches against teams from countries renowned for coping with swing bowling? Neil Wagner was pretty good for Otago in that competition as well, and Mills walked all over the opposition for Auckland two years in a row too.

We've already got Mitch M in the team to be a beserker and with Southee and Mills in that first three we don't lack for wicket taking ability. New Zealanders have a habit of throwing away old toys only to regret it later and get very nostalgic.

I'd like to see Boult given some chances along with the other fringe bowlers in the upcoming ODIs but right now Southee, Mills, Mitch, NcCullum and Anderson is the attack I would run with in a world cup final tomorrow. We do need to get our fringe bowlers on the field for some game time because injuries happen so Henry, Bennett, Boult and Milne being given plenty of games between now and the world cup would be ideal.

Howsie

We also have a habit of playing old ****s well past their expiry date too, see Chris Martin, Daryl Tuffey and Jacob Oram.

His List A record his average, but he's played about three games for ND over the last three years. His improvement as a one day and 20/20 bowler is evident everytime I watch him bowl. Three years ago he was a 130-135 kid who struggled if the ball wasn't hooping. He's now 140+ constantly in limited overs cricket with a much better bouncer in his arsenal. He'll be New Zealand's best one day bowler this season, and hopefully play a big part in getting us somewhere in the World Cup. That I have no doubt about.

Hurricane

Well, that maybe the case, but it's a damn sight better than people not scoring runs and us getting bowled out for 200-odd. He didn't lose that match, FFS, how about all the rest of the bats that didn't get over 34, or Dirtbag going for 87, or Bres for 73. Least culpable of the lot of them IMHO. The worst case of #blameTrott perhaps ever.
Eh? England lost that game because after Trott's century, the next highest score was 34. That and conceding 359 when bowling.
True he didn't lose the game. But he didn't seem to care about winning either. He was more concerned with being not out than having a dirty unbecoming hoik in the 40th over when that was what the doctor ordered. If you have your eye in and are seeing it like a beach ball then you need to have a dig at the total rather than wiping your hands clean and saying "Hey I am just the anchor man its not in my job description to slog".

@Grecian I am not that attached to my opinion and I and although I believe what I am saying - I am probably only posting it to stir things up and create a conversation so don't hit your head against a wall when you read this.

Last edited:

GGG

..We're basing all this on what, a couple of Champions League matches against teams from countries renowned for coping with swing bowling?....
Plus the 2 against the West Indies, he is just in terrific form and he has also added a yard of pace since he last played ODI's. The way he was bowling in the last 20/20 any batsman would of stuggled.