• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Polarising Movies Discussion Thread

Uppercut

This is not true at all. The majority of critics and film scholars heralded it as the visual masterpiece that it is. While the weak Dances with Wolves/Pocahontas story drew some criticism, the general feeling of reviews was very positive. I’d say the public’s view of the film was more negative but that was also likely due to the immediate reaction a lot of people have to **** on something that is doing better In the box office than people feel like it should be.
I remember it going down well with audiences at the time. I think the Pochontas plot is kind of much more memorable than the visuals, so you sort of enjoy experiencing it but don't remember it very fondly. Also it was probably a lot better on the big screen, so maybe its reputation nosedived once people started watching it at home.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think 95% of David Lynch movies are utter trash.

An immensely clever and talented director who’s only desire is to show other people how weird and clever he is. Movies with no point besides to “get it”. Critics who love to circle jerk everything he does. Get ****ed ya pompous ****wit,

Un Chien Andalou is also in the same boat. Movies to me are to tell stories or share experiences and thoughts , happy, sad, realistic or surreal. The point shouldn’t be to deliberately design something to trigger audience aversion. That’s Clockwork Orange ****.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I remember it going down well at the time. I think the Pochontas plot is kind of much more memorable than the visuals, so you sort of enjoy experiencing it but don't remember it very fondly. Also it was probably a lot better on the big screen, so maybe its reputation nosedived once people started watching it at home.
I watched it again for the first time on Disney plus and I personally thought it held up pretty well overall. But yeah the reason it became the highest grossing movie of all time and shattered so many records was that it was an “event” movie, that really brought a new visual experience to cinema. If not for the records it smashed, only film nerds would be having these sorts of discussions about Avatar. It’d rank in film history as something like Cameron’s other film “The Abyss”. Lots of cool stuff and well made but not a film overloaded with quotes and scenes that capture pop cultures imagination.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I went to the cinema to watch Dunkirk with half a dozen people from work and I fell asleep 20 minutes in and woke up to fight them at the beaches.

I can't definitively say the movie was bad. I might have been pretty tired that evening and my seat felt supernaturally comfy but it is what it is lol.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I went to the cinema to watch Dunkirk with half a dozen people from work and I fell asleep 20 minutes in and woke up to fight them at the beaches.

I can't definitively say the movie was bad. I might have been pretty tired that evening and my seat felt supernaturally comfy but it is what it is lol.
Haha well I can tell you didn’t watch it in IMAX or a cinema with great sound. Fmd that movie made bullets and explosions and all other scary things LOUD. The first bullet crack almost made me jump out of my skin.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Haha, I was watching it in a pretty good IMAX as well. I guess I was not really having a day where I could focus on a movie like Dunkirk at 9 pm after work.

I have considered re-watching it but I'd imagine it loses a lot without the big screen.

Flem274*

123/5
avatar was trash. im not a graphics guy so people being blue or whatever was supposed to be good about it did not impress me. i pay money to see a story not a tech demo. they could have done something better with the 'disabled man joins the prostitutes from the star wars prequels' setup.

cpr

Haha well I can tell you didn’t watch it in IMAX or a cinema with great sound. Fmd that movie made bullets and explosions and all other scary things LOUD. The first bullet crack almost made me jump out of my skin.

Jesus I remember going to see Saving Private Ryan when it was released. I've never been a massive cinema goer (I tend to watch things in bed nowadays, so I'll have my iPad really close to my face to give a big screen experience, and headphones for immersive sound.... Its the same, right??) but I knew back then that THAT was a film to see on the big screen.... FMD the sounds on the opening salvo, it was pant ****tingly glorious.

Line and Length

Despite all the awards and hype, I found "Titanic" to be a film that you could pick holes in from start to finish. I actually had to suppress my laughter at how ridiculous some parts were.
Given that downed WWII airmen would survive no more than 10 minutes in winter in the North Sea, how the hell did the two central characters survive as long as they did in much colder waters?

My dear old Dad was a POW survivor who was invited to the Premiere of "The Great Escape" in Perth. As he was in the actual Stalag featured in the film he knew the real story. As he said after watching the film (a painful experience in more ways than one) he said, "If Hollywood ever made a film about the 1066 Norman invasion they would have John Wayne leading a bunch of Yankee soldiers front and centre."

cpr

I thought No Country For Old Men was a bit rubbish.

I absolutely love the cheesy crapness of the National Treasure films.

I dont belong here.

Gnske

Despite all the awards and hype, I found "Titanic" to be a film that you could pick holes in from start to finish. I actually had to suppress my laughter at how ridiculous some parts were.
Given that downed WWII airmen would survive no more than 10 minutes in winter in the North Sea, how the hell did the two central characters survive as long as they did in much colder waters?

My dear old Dad was a POW survivor who was invited to the Premiere of "The Great Escape" in Perth. As he was in the actual Stalag featured in the film he knew the real story. As he said after watching the film (a painful experience in more ways than one) he said, "If Hollywood ever made a film about the 1066 Norman invasion they would have John Wayne leading a bunch of Yankee soldiers front and centre."

Look at the delivery of the line at 1:40 and tell me portraying William the Conqueror wouldn't have been piecemeal for the Duke. A man for all seasons.

Starfighter

The original critics were right about Blade Runner. Not much happening, in the dark, in the rain. 117 minutes had rarely felt longer.

Spark

Global Moderator
Dunkirk was incredibly stressful to watch. The like three different long sequences depicting in excruciating detail the experience of being trapped in a sinking ship/airplane/other enclosed metal box that is steadily filling up with water were... intense.

Last edited:

mr_mister

I think 95% of David Lynch movies are utter trash.

An immensely clever and talented director who’s only desire is to show other people how weird and clever he is. Movies with no point besides to “get it”. Critics who love to circle jerk everything he does. Get ****ed ya pompous ****wit,

Un Chien Andalou is also in the same boat. Movies to me are to tell stories or share experiences and thoughts , happy, sad, realistic or surreal. The point shouldn’t be to deliberately design something to trigger audience aversion. That’s Clockwork Orange ****.
Lol a film from 1929 has to be looked at though a different lens than David Lynch