• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The British Politics Thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, Brown's arse went, basically, didn't it? Nowhere near as skilled at the dispatch box as Tone was either, if his early form is any guide.

Meanwhile the Lib Dems have quietly offed Sir Ming for being too old (allegedly, obv, given he actually resigned) and two suits full of bugger all are lining up to take over. Not sure even their families could pick 'em out of line ups tbh.

PhoenixFire

The only way I'll ever consider supporting the Tories is if William Hague comes to be their leader, and since that isn't very likely, I doubt I'll ever vote for them.

vogue

The only way I'll ever consider supporting the Tories is if William Hague comes to be their leader, and since that isn't very likely, I doubt I'll ever vote for them.

Hague is our MP where i live..he isnt a bad sort of guy considering he's a tory!!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The older I get, the less I care. Let's be honest, whatever I do at the election box, it's going to make no difference whatsoever to my life.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So, Labour have taken a hammering in the council elections, with plenty of gains by the Tories. I think it's pretty clear that large portions of the nation want change.

Interesting to see how the capital will go.

cpr

No change here, Conservatives have always had Trafford in the bag, bar the 96-2003 era when the party was really in the turd. Been a right bitter campaign round here due to the fact there rebuilding the town centre, and both parties are blaming each other for it not being on schedule (how about blaming the fat builders?) Wouldnt have been surprised to see labour gain a couple of seats, as they've been campaigning with the claws out, but they actually lost one.

TBH, think the massive battering is down to the economy going a bit tits up, and the shambles that is the 10p tax. Brown REALLY got that wrong at the worst possible time

Boris looking the money to be Mayor of London. Should be a laugh :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Oxford must be the only local council in the country that has had Labour gains. We now have no Conservative councillors in the whole city.

Jamee999

We didn't have elections here, but I'm sure it would have gone like this:

Cbf - 50%
Tories - 40%
BNP - 8%
Lib Dems - 1%
Labour - 1%

Apparently, when they count votes here, what they do is just count how many votes aren't for the Conservatives, as that's much quicker than doing it properly.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oxford must be the only local council in the country that has had Labour gains. We now have no Conservative councillors in the whole city.
I think Liverpool had Labour gains actually, and there was a small controversy with Libs clinging to power only because of a late defection.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Strange place Oxford, world-class University, Birkenheadesque population in parts

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Must be the East side that is Birkenheadesque then.

Not that I'm suggesting that all ****holes are Labour areas, but y'know...if the cap fits and all :ph34r:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Mate of mine who studied there said the whole lot was dodgy but I wasn't having that