• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The European Politics Thread

Burgey

They can put everyone of their young blokes through special forces training afaic, it still won't overcome the flaw in their national character which causes them to drop what they're carrying and put their hands up at the first whiff of strife.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They can put everyone of their young blokes through special forces training afaic, it still won't overcome the flaw in their national character which causes them to drop what they're carrying and put their hands up at the first whiff of strife.
Finally you produce some excellence in this subbie

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyone else absolutely shocked to see the EU put ridiculously authoritarian laws through today?

No me neither

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
not gonna bother defending it, hope it gets bounced around various institutions with no real action like the Data Retention Directive.

harsh.ag

This is the kind of law which you can't implement unless you literally turn towards authoritarianism.

StephenZA

I'm not condoning the law but just asking, with the internets lack of copyright protection does this not mean that something needs to give on these laws, where either online needs to start obeying the 'hardcopy' laws or else current copyright laws need to be relaxed? Or you end up with 2 systems.

Uppercut

I mean it controls ~no physical force independently of its member states, so it'd be doing pretty well to implement a police state.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In seriousness, I probably do have a different interpretation (rather than definition) of authoritarian than you (and most round here) but that being said, I’ve seen plenty of people not remotely like minded to me citing this as authoritarian.

De facto censorship

StephenZA

De facto censorship
In all seriousness how is this censorship? Or is all copyright censorship? Or do you think this has nothing to do with copyright/intellectual property? I reiterate I do not like this law either, but I would like to know what distinguishes it from most copyright/intellectual property laws?