• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The European Politics Thread

Spark

Global Moderator
In all seriousness how is this censorship? Or is all copyright censorship? Or do you think this has nothing to do with copyright/intellectual property? I reiterate I do not like this law either, but I would like to know what distinguishes it from most copyright/intellectual property laws?
Maybe not all copyright, but intellectual property laws being used by powerful entities (as well as governments) to protect their own interests and control the spread of information is pretty commonplace, and it often verges into blatant censorship. It's why many libertarians are at a minimum deeply sceptical of them.

StephenZA

Maybe not all copyright, but intellectual property laws being used by powerful entities (as well as governments) to protect their own interests and control the spread of information is pretty commonplace, and it often verges into blatant censorship. It's why many libertarians are at a minimum deeply sceptical of them.
I'm not a fan of copyright/intellectual property for the reasons you give. I can understand how 'creators' need to be awarded for their work but that is generally not what actually happens, in my mind at least.

Top_Cat

Just as an aside, my understanding was more that they weren't convicted for failing to predict the earthquake (limits on the available science and all that) but the extent to which they were responsible as agents of the public, the question being whether their statutory obligations were fair/reasonable/just/etc.. That's what was struck down as far as the scientists go but one government guy was still convicted. And I'm sure they did do some time behind bars too as it all unfolded over years.

Also, Italy really is broken. So, ya.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
That seems like another result which won't produce a viable coalition.

Guessing all AfD voters are from sleepy Dorfs who last saw a Turk in 1976.

StephenZA

Showing my ignorance and with Merkel stepping down. Is this all a hangover form the immigration stuff last year? Or is this about bigger issues I have no idea about in Germany. I am generally interested because Germany has become one of my favourites to try get a job following my PhD.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Showing my ignorance and with Merkel stepping down. Is this all a hangover form the immigration stuff last year? Or is this about bigger issues I have no idea about in Germany. I am generally interested because Germany has become one of my favourites to try get a job following my PhD.
It's fallout from the protracted coalition negotiations. No one really wanted another round of CDU/SPD big coalition - as evidenced by both parties getting their worst result since 1949 - but with AfD and Linke beyond the pale and FDP and the Greens having fundamentally opposed economic outlooks, there was no other viable coalition. Voters in local elections have rejected both big parties (AfD have gained, but so have the Greens) and so after yesterday's bad CDU result (down 10 %-points) and a national party conference coming up in December Merkel needs to do something to keep her party quiet.

She presumably hopes to be able to anoint a successor from the moderate wing of the party who can continue to work with SPD and/or the Greens, but many CDU people believe they need to follow the rest of the world and turn sharply right.

StephenZA

It's fallout from the protracted coalition negotiations. No one really wanted another round of CDU/SPD big coalition - as evidenced by both parties getting their worst result since 1949 - but with AfD and Linke beyond the pale and FDP and the Greens having fundamentally opposed economic outlooks, there was no other viable coalition. Voters in local elections have rejected both big parties (AfD have gained, but so have the Greens) and so after yesterday's bad CDU result (down 10 %-points) and a national party conference coming up in December Merkel needs to do something to keep her party quiet.

She presumably hopes to be able to anoint a successor from the moderate wing of the party who can continue to work with SPD and/or the Greens, but many CDU people believe they need to follow the rest of the world and turn sharply right.
Probably a bit overly needed detail, but what is it with the current wants of the populace that makes them dislike the main parties. A generally feeling of unhappiness or specific problems within Germany?

I very muck like the fact that their is so many parties and Germany has such a strong Democracy of ideas. Forces discussion.

StephenZA

He's talking about the refugees let in over the last few years
I understand that.... just is that the whole issue. I`m sure Germany has got lots of issues like all countries. And I know the AfD have grown, but so have the Greens regrown and they are a pro-immigration party. So I'm just wondering what the bigger issues beyond immigration Germans are looking at? Or is this just once again a vote for change?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
It's not only racial fears, I think. The SPD have been battered because they're nominally a social democratic party without any social democratic policies, and the CDU have been battered because they're a conservative party without any conservative policies.

Plus after 15 years of the same EU-loyal technocratic government people want some change.

StephenZA

Plus after 15 years of the same EU-loyal technocratic government people want some change.
"Lets try the other club tonight, I`m bored and want a change even if the drinks cost twice the price, maybe the girls are prettier?"

Vote for change... whatever that change is!