• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan on Strauss/Dhoni

Marcuss

mate, I do understand where u coming from.... but seriously I cannot agree with this micro definition of aggressiveness... just because you tend to place 4 slips and a gully you shouldn't qualify to become an aggressive captain... for me an aggressive captain is one who utilises resources at his availability to optimum to derive best results for his team....

not to place a deep sq leg and a midwicket on a flattish pitch to a hardhitting batsman against a spinner isn't being aggressive, but being foolish only. not my thoughts, but validated by likes of warne, murali and harby.

I don't rate vaughan much, he's proved to be a cheerleader kind for me over the years, but in terms of achievements dhoni's up there with the most aggressive kinds in history of the game.

when you gotta play safe, you gotta play safe. when you need to bide your time, you really need to.

Howe_zat

for me an aggressive captain is one who utilises resources at his availability to optimum to derive best results for his team....
That's interesting, because to me an aggressive captain is one who breeds llamas in his spare time.

We'll agree to disagree?

Bun

Banned
haha can't play post, so must play poster.

and oh big lol @ harby batting pic. someone's been under a rock for last 3 years.

btw those harping shrilly have failed to present why strauss must be considered as an aggressive captain. lol.

Bun

Banned
That's interesting, because to me an aggressive captain is one who breeds llamas in his spare time.

We'll agree to disagree?
that's easily the second best definition i've read in this thread.

quite sad we've had only two so far, including mine.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

and oh big lol @ harby batting pic. someone's been under a rock for last 3 years.

btw those harping shrilly have failed to present why strauss must be considered as an aggressive captain. lol.
Everyone refuted your post, can't you read?

And no-one has presented Strauss as an aggressive captain either.

In summary, you are a wanker.

zaremba

Because to be entitled to point out that you have become muddled about what "aggressive" means we have first to prove that Andrew Strauss is aggressive? Relevance nil, bizarreness one hundred, which gives you a 50% average, which ain't bad

ps it's not "harping shrilly", it's "deriding"

Bun

Banned
Because to be entitled to point out that you have become muddled about what "aggressive" means we have first to prove that Andrew Strauss is aggressive? Relevance nil, bizarreness one hundred, which gives you a 50% average, which ain't bad

ps it's not "harping shrilly", it's "deriding"
yeah fun thing, because there isn't a mention of strauss in the title, op and vaughan's own statement. definitely he wasn't doing a comparison was he?

oh wait.....

Further, there hasn't been any clear cut attempt top prove Dhoni's a dead defensive captain again, save for a comment by vcs. 95 per cent has been posting smart alec comments, motivational posters etc aimed at one poster. I am honored and overwhelmed by the attention though.

I don't think Strauss is an aggressive captain. Guess there is some consensus so I am not going to elaborate on it further. Dhoni definitely showed his aggressive streak in West Indies. He even sent in raina to attempt a near impossible target in the circumstances, but as is his wont, scorecard critics wanting their share of attention had a go at him as usual. People also point out his 8-1 defensive fields in the 08 series and bowlers bowling a foot outside off. Fact is that on that pitch and in circumstances that was what lured aussies to their own downfall.

and of course am willing to listen to all you putting forward whom you think are aggressive captains. not you howezat, I have already ackowledged your contribution :p

and thank you for pointing out issues with my usage. Really appreciate it mate. :)

Marcuss

Nobody's disagreed with what Vaughan said about Strauss. So why do we need to give evidence why he's not a defensive captain?

zaremba

yeah fun thing, because there isn't a mention of strauss in the title, op and vaughan's own statement. definitely he wasn't doing a comparison was he?

oh wait.....

Further, there hasn't been any clear cut attempt top prove Dhoni's a dead defensive captain again, save for a comment by vcs. 95 per cent has been posting smart alec comments, motivational posters etc aimed at one poster. I am honored and overwhelmed by the attention though.

I don't think Strauss is an aggressive captain. Guess there is some consensus so I am not going to elaborate on it further. Dhoni definitely showed his aggressive streak in West Indies. He even sent in raina to attempt a near impossible target in the circumstances, but as is his wont, scorecard critics wanting their share of attention had a go at him as usual. People also point out his 8-1 defensive fields in the 08 series and bowlers bowling a foot outside off. Fact is that on that pitch and in circumstances that was what lured aussies to their own downfall.

and of course am willing to listen to all you putting forward whom you think are aggressive captains. not you howezat, I have already ackowledged your contribution :p

and thank you for pointing out issues with my usage. Really appreciate it mate. :)
I'd be less ready to take issue with your usage if you were less eloquent.

No-one has suggested that Dhoni is a "dead defensive captain". And nor has anyone suggested that Strauss is aggressive. These are obviously straw men.

What everyone has picked you up on is that you have elided "aggressive" with "effective". No-one agrees with you on that. You have chosen to portray that as everyone marching out of step with you. I don't share that perspective. As for you being the centre of attention, that's something that I'm convinced you aim for and enjoy.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman

oh wait.....

Neither does anybody else.

Cevno

Are there any really aggresive captains in World Cricket currently? All have had their defensive moments,i would imagine.