• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan on Strauss/Dhoni

flibbertyjibber

Vaughan is probably right about Strauss being defensive but Strauss can turn round and say he has won 2 ashes series to Vaughan's 1.

As for Dhoni, i doubt he cares what an Englishman has to say about him. He has a world cup win which no England captain has.

This all comes from a big fan of Vaughan, seems to have got the Boycott chip on shoulder very quickly since retirement has young Michael.

Cevno

Don't think Vaughan comes accross as a prick at all in this instance, tbf to him.

Has he said/done something else in the recent past?

zaremba

Don't think Vaughan comes accross as a prick at all in this instance, tbf to him.

Has he said/done something else in the recent past?
He's been working on TMS and (I think) on Radio 5 for the last year or two. Came across immediately as a "twot" (as our transatlantic friends might say) and has done nothing since to dispel that impression.

Burgey

Are there any really aggresive captains in World Cricket currently? All have had their defensive moments,i would imagine.
Yes I think that's right.

Ironic this comes from Vaughan, who basically pioneered the regulation deep cover point in Test cricket.

Cruxdude

Yup Dhoni is pretty defensive. Loved him though for that 7-2 field day against Australia. otal epic.

Contra

Yup Dhoni is pretty defensive. Loved him though for that 7-2 field day against Australia. otal epic.
8 -1 to be exact. But yeah was a total masterstroke. You could tell that he was just waiting for one of the two lefties to get out, as soon as Katich went he went straight into attacking.

TumTum

Banned
In terms of field placings Dhoni is probably the most defensive, G.Smith is the worst at declarations though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Dhoni is the most aggressive captain in the world because he is captain of the world's best team.
Strauss is the second most aggressive because he is the captain of the second best team.

It's all so obvious now.

vcs

Are there any really aggresive captains in World Cricket currently? All have had their defensive moments,i would imagine.
It seems what we armchair punters generally consider "aggressive" doesn't exactly work in reality.

Spark

Global Moderator
Either that or it's a lot easier for us armchair punters to call for risk-taking than it is live, on the field, where it's you and your team's ass on the line if it doesn't work.

I'm not sure there are too many aggressive captains about, but there are a couple of fairly inventive ones.