• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What are you eating right now?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I just bought some chicken gizzards and hearts. Wife is not into organ meats but I love it. Usually I just make something for myself - like a stew, throwing together some stock, vegetables and random assortments of things. But this time, I’m thinking about making some classically European dish. Lots of rustic Italian and French recipes make use of these - so trying to think up a good one. Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited:

smalishah84

The Tiger King
So people in the Southern Hemisphere have a much easier time of Ramadan?
I think so, unless they are close to the south pole (which i think most countries in the southern hemisphere are not) then their ramadan should be pretty good.

England is pretty bad. I think London has more than 17 hours of fasting or so.

Edit: I may have misunderstood your question. Ramadan is based on the lunar calendar so it moves back about 10 days every year (in the solar calendar). So it moves around in the seasons. Gets much easier in the winters, tougher in the summers.

Last edited:

Adders

But when it falls in winter in the UK it would only be like 8hrs.......winning then.

How about way up getting near the North Pole, how the **** do they do it in summer with close to 24hrs daylight?

smalishah84

The Tiger King
But when it falls in winter in the UK it would only be like 8hrs.......winning then.

How about way up getting near the North Pole, how the **** do they do it in summer with close to 24hrs daylight?
All I know is that there are different rulings for such special cases. Not sure what they are for north pole types in particular but for example there is a lot of leeway for old people, sick folks, pregnant women, children, etc to skip fasting which is causing hardship and keeping it at a time that is possible for them. And if unable to do so due to old age, illness, etc even at a later time then give away a certain amount of charity.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator

Man I'm getting annoyed at myself since I've actually looked this up before, but I'm pretty sure they just end up following Mecca time.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Back on topic;

Wifey made a huge batch of spring rolls. Like, close to a hundred. Just had a couple, they're delicious and not full of ridiculous level of sodium like the restaurant crap.

honestbharani

we cut them into small penta/hexagon pieces, do a mild fry and add some mustard and couple of taste makers and have it. Takes bloody long to cook in the medium heat though, and going to the extreme makes the legume blast... lol. Learned it the hard way one stormy night in Indiana...

Apparently, its not quite a legume but it is pretty similar. Soz...

SillyCowCorner1

We usually do them in a saute and allow the edges to caramelize. It is heavenly with dhal and rice.

Okra is a relative of the hibiscus plant.
We have a few dozens of them.

honestbharani

We usually do them in a saute and allow the edges to caramelize. It is heavenly with dhal and rice.

Okra is a relative of the hibiscus plant.
We have a few dozens of them.

Awesome. Yeah learned its closer to a flower than it is to another veggie. :laugh: That is the more north Indian style of preparation. We in South India have the concept of making vegetables solid without any gravy as side dish for our rice that we then mix with sambar, or rasam or curd/buttermilk.

SillyCowCorner1

The style of cooking in our household is an amalgamation of different regions in India, and the local Guyanese style here.
I don't know from where my great-great grandparents came from. Could be from the north, south, and east.

We do call eggplant as 'baigan'.

honestbharani

Sounds fun, but you will see a lot of different cooking styles even within what you can broadly call "South India". The cooking in Tirupathi which is just off the border of my state, Tamil Nadu, is distinctly different to what we have in Chennai. And just 4 hours down south from here, the stuff we get, we will almost never see in the city. And thus it goes on. Its a lot of fun. We were planning a road trip to Kanyakumari and Trivandrum along the east coast from Chennai before the pandemic thing happened. One of the exciting stuff was all the different types of food we could try....

SillyCowCorner1

It's amazing how food can be influenced by language (and vice-versa).
I can see this happening over here, on a smaller scale tho. I live in the countryside and we make our cook-up rice very liquidy...while in the town called New Amsterdam...which is about 14 miles away, the dry it down so it's almost like a beans and rice....yet it is still our national dish.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I feel like all I do is post pictures of steak. For Mother’s Day I made the wife a paneer and egg bhurji for breakfast. Then went to the butcher and got some very special cuts of meat. Came out perfect. I think it was my best one yet. For the record, this is how you cook a steak and honor the meat (without killing it twice).

104C1773-8B43-4A9D-AA2F-241A433B1D12.jpg313E120B-62D0-4F25-8363-B8E4220018E9.jpg

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Oh and no I actually don’t eat steak like twice a week usually - but trying to support our local butcher through this shutdown. He’s an amazing guy, and works very hard to get awesome quality meats. His family has had this butcher shop since before World War II but his business has been hit hard. So been eating a lot more stuff from him over the last two months.

But hey, even though my pockets feel it, it’s still cheaper than going out and spending money on alcohol, etc.

Last edited:

zorax

likes this
Don't have time to cook anymore else I'd prepare a response to that

Maybe if I'm not working this weekend

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh and no I actually don’t eat steak like twice a week usually - but trying to support our local butcher through this shutdown. He’s an amazing guy, and works very hard to get awesome quality meats. His family has had this butcher shop since before World War II but his business has been hit hard. So been eating a lot more stuff from him over the last two months.

But hey, even though my pockets feel it, it’s still cheaper than going out and spending money on alcohol, etc.
I'm supporting my local butcher's and off licence, so there