• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What have you achieved during Lockdown?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah a couple of my old Oasis vinyls that I bought at the time of release aren't in great nick and I think it's because I didn't look after the needle etc when younger. Recently bought some new styluses and the wife picked up a record cleaning kit too, When I buy used vinyl from Discogs, I get to work with that cleaning kit and you really do see the difference.

Only time I actually enjoy cleaning tbh.
I had an OK turntable that was used in our flat in the lounge, and my flatmates cat jumped on it and knocked it off the table and it broke (it was a futuristic unit from the 80s that had the turntable come out from the unit on a tray). I didn't have any money to replace it and they didn'treally have much either so got a cheap turntable from a local electronics store for about $70 (they put in 50). Not only did it sound terrible but it had no adjustable downforce or tracking, or needle/cartridge. That's basically all you have to look outfor - an adjustable tone arm and replacable cartridge so you can use a decent stylus and adjust it to the right weight. otherwise the needle rips up the record.

What speakers (and amp) are you thinking of using? I'm thinking of investing in a hi fi setup once the SO moves to Aus, but unlike headphones/desktop audio solutions this **** is too expensive to really experiment with. Gotta be right the first time
I've not looked into it in too much detail yet because there's a huge risk if I do I will splurge the cash now. And I don't have the space for the setup I envisage right now.

Will be keen on taking tips when the time comes.
Tbh unless you're one of those audophiles mentioned there will definitely be a point of diminishing returns. I started with a second hand Onkyo amp from the 90s that was n even $100 nzd and splurged on a pair of Boston Accoustics bookshelf speakers, 2nd hand for $170. Later on I picked up second hand pairs of Technics speakers for $40 and $60 and they sounded great. I fell in love with a made in NZ Technics amp from the 70s and bought that down the line. I'd recommend second hand over new if you're on a budget. It was designed for vinyl at the time and as long as it's in good working order it'll sound great. You can't really go wrong with any of the Japanese brands of that era.

stephen

Oh I do have things to aspire to, but it's hard to see them happening when certain people are selling your future like there's no tomorrow.
I know the feeling. I cope by shutting out the majority of news. Seriously, the vast majority of it is completely garbage and consuming it is poisoning your mind and reducing your ability to tell what is actually important and what isn't.

Personally, I was convinced that after 2002/03 that we would see a property market crash of some sort. Because of this I frittered away a decent amount of cash over the years and did not enter the property market for over a decade. Eventually I became convinced it was the right thing to do when I worked out that interest was less than rent. My wife and I didn't have much and I could easily have had a much larger deposit than I did when we eventually got into the market.

Personally I learned a few lessons out of all of this. 1) never let your assumptions about what the future will or should look like hold you back from living your life. 2) markets can remain irrational for longer than you can remain solvent. 3) working hard and living modestly is always a good financial decision. 4) (And I think this is the most important) know what you can change and what you can't change and focus only on the things you can change.

I've mentioned a few times on here that I'm conservative politically. I am but it's far more nuanced than left/ right. I'm actually a biologically conservative person - it's in my wiring to be cautious, somewhat emotionally driven and to play things safe wherever possible. The flip side of being a conservative person is that there are loads of things which rationally or irrationally scare me shitless. Climate change, war, political change, loss of privacy, loss of freedoms, Donald ****ing Trump ruining everything and a whole bunch of other things fall into this category. The whole technology industry scares the pants off of me at the moment. If I dwell on any of this stuff I can go down some very dark paths.

So I've made an intentional effort to live for the things which I care about, which bring me joy. I try to only dwell upon three things I can change. If I only have 1, 5, 10 or 30 years left I want to spend that time loving the people I love, doing the things I do and being the person I am as well as I can. I don't want to be paralysed by fear, or lamenting what should be or worrying about what might be.

This attitude might be selfish, but I believe that altruism and placing the needs of others ahead of your own is the most joyful way to live. I believe humans are happiest when they're taking care of those around them, when they have a meaningful, positive impact on those in their community. I'm not saying I'm anywhere near perfect or selfless, but I try. And I think it helps.

Burgey

I had an OK turntable that was used in our flat in the lounge, and my flatmates cat jumped on it and knocked it off the table and it broke (it was a futuristic unit from the 80s that had the turntable come out from the unit on a tray). I didn't have any money to replace it and they didn'treally have much either so got a cheap turntable from a local electronics store for about $70 (they put in 50). Not only did it sound terrible but it had no adjustable downforce or tracking, or needle/cartridge. That's basically all you have to look outfor - an adjustable tone arm and replacable cartridge so you can use a decent stylus and adjust it to the right weight. otherwise the needle rips up the record.
JFC send me your bank account details. This tearjerker is doing me in here.

Spark

Global Moderator

Tbh unless you're one of those audophiles mentioned there will definitely be a point of diminishing returns. I started with a second hand Onkyo amp from the 90s that was n even $100 nzd and splurged on a pair of Boston Accoustics bookshelf speakers, 2nd hand for $170. Later on I picked up second hand pairs of Technics speakers for $40 and $60 and they sounded great. I fell in love with a made in NZ Technics amp from the 70s and bought that down the line. I'd recommend second hand over new if you're on a budget. It was designed for vinyl at the time and as long as it's in good working order it'll sound great. You can't really go wrong with any of the Japanese brands of that era.
Yeah my current "hi-fi" setup is a pair of 25 year old Sony speakers that google tells me sell for about $50 second hand these days. It's hooked up to an old Macbook via a USB DAC and the aux in on a CD player. It's a pretty crummy setup and sounds... vague, to put it mildly, so it definitely is getting a decent bump up once I'm able to save up the cash.