• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Politics Thread

hendrix

some unpopular opinions re: America's withdrawal from Northern Syria.

US and global support for the SDF can and should only go so far. I support self-determination, but not if the context is following/during a fractious civil war that's forced everyone to split off into seperate regions, I don't think that's truly democratic. The middle east doesn't need another ethno-state. There's also an economic component here. Syria doesn't need its most fertile provinces to suddenly become "independent" (i.e. no longer contributing to the economy).

DriveClub

US and global support for the SDF can and should only go so far. I support self-determination, but not if the context is following/during a fractious civil war that's forced everyone to split off into seperate regions, I don't think that's truly democratic. The middle east doesn't need another ethno-state. There's also an economic component here. Syria doesn't need its most fertile provinces to suddenly become "independent" (i.e. no longer contributing to the economy).
Agree with you

StephenZA

I don't think that this is about support for the SDF directly or the belief that another state needs to be made within the mess that is the middle east.

From an American point of view it is politically unsound and just international bad policy to abandon groups of people that have helped you defeat an enemy, you lose all good will and trust. Secondly abandoning said peoples have had and will have long term consequences, see Afghanistan. And finally just from a humanitarian point of view knowing that another or rather a a further continuing conflict which may have been prevented is possibly going to cost thousands of peoples lives and homes is not a pleasant thought for anybody in the international community. The hope is to solve these things diplomatically, and that is even more impossible during a war and without good will.

I detest the whole America acting as world policeman when they feel like it (largely for their own benefit), but we can't pretend that they don't have the power and ability both economically and military to do so, and had the power in this case to prevent this conflict. I want America to stop sending troops around the world, but pulling out in sudden manner and leaving behind messes just creates further long term problems.

hendrix

I don't think that this is about support for the SDF directly or the belief that another state needs to be made within the mess that is the middle east.

From an American point of view it is politically unsound and just international bad policy to abandon groups of people that have helped you defeat an enemy, you lose all good will and trust. Secondly abandoning said peoples have had and will have long term consequences, see Afghanistan. And finally just from a humanitarian point of view knowing that another or rather a a further continuing conflict which may have been prevented is possibly going to cost thousands of peoples lives and homes is not a pleasant thought for anybody in the international community. The hope is to solve these things diplomatically, and that is even more impossible during a war and without good will.

I detest the whole America acting as world policeman when they feel like it (largely for their own benefit), but we can't pretend that they don't have the power and ability both economically and military to do so, and had the power in this case to prevent this conflict. I want America to stop sending troops around the world, but pulling out in sudden manner and leaving behind messes just creates further long term problems.
How is this pulling out in a sudden manner? The relationship with the Kurdish powers as always 100% transactional and everyone knew it - US gives weapons and money and performs airstrikes, YPG does the dogwork against ISIS. Both sides were very aware of that, and in fact the Kurds were actively working to repair the relationship with Assad for the very even when ISIS was defeated and they were no longer needed by the US. This was absolutely predictable and both sides knew about it.

Do you really think Turkey is now going to invade Syria with Assad + Russian forces there? Hell no. The Kurds in Syria will be fine.

The real losers out of this situation are Syrian Arabs/FSA-aligned people who will probably never be able to return to Syria.

Spark

Global Moderator
Looks like Trudeau will pull through in Canada. Seems to be a lot of tactical voting going on (seriously, three parties competing for the same left-of-centre voters in a FPTP system...)

smalishah84

The Tiger King
Truduea lost the popular vote but might get to make a minority govt with NDP.

Will be interesting to see how hard of a bargain will NDP drive to give Trudeau their support.

Bloc Quebecois really played well to their audience denying Trudeau a majority.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Interesting to see the Greens gain some seats. In the anglosphere it only really ever seemed like our Greens party got much of the vote.

Spark

Global Moderator
Interesting to see the Greens gain some seats. In the anglosphere it only really ever seemed like our Greens party got much of the vote.
Green parties in continental Europe seem to be doing great, mostly by positioning themselves as the natural successors to the old social democratic parties as leaders of the centre-left (often with strong emphasis on the "centre" bit) but with added climate change stuff

hendrix

Netanyahu indited. Dude is a terrible, terrible human being.

At the same time the US now considers illegal Israeli settlements to be all well and good. Nothing to see here.

ankitj

https://www.news.com.au/world/middl...t/news-story/72beacc24ccb7a28c6f7eba24f3cbb1f

Grim stuff :'(

Also:

[FONT=&quot]In 2018, speaking in a Facebook video, she said she had seen him in 2016 and then again two years later in Schwäbisch Gmünd in southwestern Germany.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]She told police and asylum officials about the encounter, and although they identified the man from CCTV, they said there was nothing they could do because he was also registered as a refugee.[/FONT]
Why couldn't he be tried in Germany as a rapist?

Shri

How come the middle east is silent about the persecution of Uyghur muslims when they go after persecution of muslims in democratic countries around the world?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Why couldn't he be tried in Germany as a rapist?
The reports in German media are different. the police say they only had a sketch of the man to go on from her woman's description, and despite a six-month investigation no suspect could be found. The name she supplied could not be found in the record of refugees, probably because it was a battle pseudonym.

And finally it would be pretty hard to prove rape on presumably purely oral testimony from 5-6 years ago, unless multiple victims could be found.