• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Explosion at Ariana Grande concert in Manchester

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think I'm with GIMH on this one.

Not seen any evidence that suggests this wasn't simply a case of just targeting a big group of (possibly vulnerable) people.

Suggesting a concert was targeted because Manchester is a "Musical City" seems far more fanciful to me than the this explanation. Not saying it's impossible that this was the case or anything, just that it seems like conjecture (unless I am missing something, which is far from out of the question).
I'm putting it forward as a potential MO at the moment. It's entirely conjecture on my part but I think there's more to this than just 'let's kill Westerners/infidels'

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I'm not sure there's any wider pattern, they're fairly mobile and have cells in quite a few places so can target any large amount of people.

I'm told this happened outside a big train station so fairly easy to get to as well. Essentially all the planning you need is songkick plus the EPL fixture list.

To Furball's theory...no one would argue Paris is famous for death metal?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Aye the train station is just underneath the arena basically. I assumed it would have been something there when I first heard of an explosion at the arena.

Daemon

Don't agree. They attacked an Ariana Grande concert full of kids, not an Oasis or Stone Roses reunion. I personally think they deliberately chose an event that would have large amounts of children present. You can easily and logically guess how they'd justify it to themselves if so.
Agreed. Lots of her songs (side to side for example) are sexually charged which is just the sort of thing they think they should be saving the world from. There's probably an element of what Furball mentioned though, even if Grande is not English or iconic to the city in some way.

Ausage

Yeah I'm not sure there's a wider pattern beyond maximising death, but you'd think Grande was as objectionable as it would get for them in terms of music.

hendrix

Agree, but why Manchester? Why not one of numrous other gigs on her tour if you're wanting to target young people?

It's just a theory as to what their MO is and it'll be interesting if any other attacks follow a similar 'attack people doing something said city is famous for' MO.
They picked Manchester because that's where the terrorist was from...

tobe_ornot2

Banned
I am still wondering why the police and intelligence services refused to act on this person. There was a complaint to the terrorism hotline about this man five years ago. Two separate complains to be exact. We know that the intelligence services and police had been monitoring him for months if not years...as is always the case in these attacks, so yet again, why has something not been done?

We also know from the MI5 report into redicalisation in 2008 that the likeliest people to be radicalised are men who drink, do drugs and use prostitutes. Why are the most destitute, employment derived communities in Britain not being targeted by surveillance and operations and yet mosques and madrasahs where practicing Muslims frequent arE? This is a shameful nbeglect of duty by the people that are supposed to keep us safe.

zorax

likes this
I am still wondering why the police and intelligence services refused to act on this person. There was a complaint to the terrorism hotline about this man five years ago. Two separate complains to be exact. We know that the intelligence services and police had been monitoring him for months if not years...as is always the case in these attacks, so yet again, why has something not been done?

We also know from the MI5 report into redicalisation in 2008 that the likeliest people to be radicalised are men who drink, do drugs and use prostitutes. Why are the most destitute, employment derived communities in Britain not being targeted by surveillance and operations and yet mosques and madrasahs where practicing Muslims frequent arE? This is a shameful nbeglect of duty by the people that are supposed to keep us safe.
I imagine they get a lot of complaints from people who simply don't like the look of the Muslim family who just moved in next door too. You can't really incriminate someone without evidence, and you can't carry out intrusive surveillance on a person without any concrete reasons to do so

cpr

Because evidence. The guy was out of the country until last week. Came home, put a vest on and went out. So he was 'known' to them. So's half of Manchester, and 90% of them are innocent. We don't just lock people up because someone's dobbed them in without any evidence, we are not a totalitarian state.

They are. However drink + drugs + prostitutes does not equal destitution. In fact theres a strong ethos in all cultures that those with power and money are above the moral guidance of their believes. Coke and hookers are not cheap y'know

Burgey

Because evidence. The guy was out of the country until last week. Came home, put a vest on and went out. So he was 'known' to them. So's half of Manchester, and 90% of them are innocent. We don't just lock people up because someone's dobbed them in without any evidence, we are not a totalitarian state.

They are. However drink + drugs + prostitutes does not equal destitution. In fact theres a strong ethos in all cultures that those with power and money are above the moral guidance of their believes. Coke and hookers are not cheap y'know
Damn straight

Furball

Evil Scotsman
They picked Manchester because that's where the terrorist was from...
A shop keeper 10 minutes away from me was stabbed to death by some **** who travelled up from Bradford to do it because the shop keeper had allegedly blasphemed against the Prophet on Facebook.

If you're ****ed up enough to blow yourself up then a bit of travel isn't going to put you off.

hendrix

Going broke can be a great way to sort your life out. Of course, it can make you become a petty thief and a crack whore too, but for some people it's a great intervention!

hendrix

A shop keeper 10 minutes away from me was stabbed to death by some **** who travelled up from Bradford to do it because the shop keeper had allegedly blasphemed against the Prophet on Facebook.

If you're ****ed up enough to blow yourself up then a bit of travel isn't going to put you off.
Yeah but in terms of scouting the area and all that it probably makes things a fair bit easier.

So apparently the dude's brother has been picked up by counter-terrorist officials in Libya. Are these British CT forces or...Libyan Government? Because...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Truly stupid.... and then for them to take a photo and it end up on twitter..... even stupider.

PS: Hopefully this is not just a hoax with somebody trying to cause trouble. And I hope the officers/soldiers involved get punished.
The bloke posting it is a Respectable Tory Pundit. This has been rubber-stamped and approved.

Presumably by someone who starts their morning meeting by chanting "more bombs for the bomb god".

StephenZA

Why would they be punished?
You cannot let your personal opinion and feelings effect your judgment within a war... that way leads to soldiers executing unarmed people. Those soldiers/officers (whoever) used public government property to write a personal message that should not be affiliated with the RAF or British government in anyway

I understand why it happens but you need to punish those that do it and not allow a precedent to be set that it is acceptable.