• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Board games

Spark

Global Moderator
A little off-topic but it's following on from a discussion that happened in this thread ages back: whoever said that physical board games are more fun than most video games these days was correct.

edit: moved out of the gaming thread

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
this might make me mainstream af but my flat smashes several games of catan out on friday nights before and after the rugby/cricket/eague on tv and our own kitchen cricket

Chewie

Catan, Ticket to Ride and Scythe are the three I've played a decent amount, though haven't played any in a while

Howe_zat

I quite like collaborative board games, it appeals to the same part of my brain that DnD does.

Catan doesn't sit right with me and it bugs me that people hold it up as the apex of board game design because it's all strategy and little randomisation. That just means the object of the game is to scheme your way into ****ing other people over. It's like the opposite of fun.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I quite like collaborative board games, it appeals to the same part of my brain that DnD does.

Catan doesn't sit right with me and it bugs me that people hold it up as the apex of board game design because it's all strategy and little randomisation. That just means the object of the game is to scheme your way into ****ing other people over. It's like the opposite of fun.
Who hurt you

harsh.ag

Yup, this. Possibilities of frequent random turnarounds make everything so much more fun and good-humoured.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I played Tokaido with friends the other day. It was very wholesome and pretty, it's quite a hard game to work out as your strategy depends a lot on what your opponents do.

in a similar vein I like Robo Rally but I think you need to be a coder to appreciate that one

Flem274*

123/5
That just means the object of the game is to scheme your way into ****ing other people over.
yes

that's why it's fun. 'he's on 8 points don't trade with him, how many sheep do you need to slaughter for wood for an unrealistically long road to steal his longest road?' then the next turn the alliance crumbles as a petty knight is played for memes.

Last edited:

Test_Fan_Only

Chess and Scrabble are two old but very good board games.
Of modern ones I am not a huge fan of Catan but it is okay.
Recently played a new one which I really enjoyed, Clank!

Dan

Global Moderator
I played Tokaido with friends the other day. It was very wholesome and pretty, it's quite a hard game to work out as your strategy depends a lot on what your opponents do.

in a similar vein I like Robo Rally but I think you need to be a coder to appreciate that one
Tokaido is completely unlike anything I've ever played before, and is an absolutely outstanding game.

Spikey

A little off-topic but it's following on from a discussion that happened in this thread ages back: whoever said that physical board games are more fun than most video games these days was correct.

edit: moved out of the gaming thread
if I buy Ticket To Ride I can just open it up and play it. Who wants that from a game? I want to load it up and then get told to download a 7gb update and play it four days later

Athlai

Not Terrible
Tokaido is completely unlike anything I've ever played before, and is an absolutely outstanding game.
Always some mother ****er who ****s up my beautiful landscape painting by dragging their lazy ass to every vista and parking themselves there with a brush. Smh

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Has anyone ever watched any of the Board James videos?

They can be a bit annoying and hokey, but can be quite fun and I have learned about quite a few games I had no knowledge of beforehand through them.