• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Board games

thierry henry

I ****ing hate board games. Nothing worse than when you want to spend your Friday/Saturday night getting drunk and shooting the **** or watching sport with mates, but you're invited to a "games night" instead.

There's just something deeply unpalatable to me about social time being taken up by a heavily structured activity requiring disciplined, engaged participation.

I think people expect me to be the type of person who is good at board games, but I'm the guy who will never understand the rules, asks what he's supposed to do every turn and is totally unable to properly immerse himself in the game. Just thinking about it gives me cold sweats. Not sure what that says about me.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Tbh, I’m the same as TH but on the other hand I love card game nights so that leads me to believe the problem is me not being acquainted with the board games and cbf learning in that context more than anything.

Spark

Global Moderator
Tbf I'm including card games along with board games too. Love Letter, Anomia are really easy to learn (shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes) and get into.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Poker + low stakes gambling with friends is pretty great.

Still love playing Uno with the right crowd too tbh.

stephen

I ****ing hate board games. Nothing worse than when you want to spend your Friday/Saturday night getting drunk and shooting the **** or watching sport with mates, but you're invited to a "games night" instead.

There's just something deeply unpalatable to me about social time being taken up by a heavily structured activity requiring disciplined, engaged participation.

I think people expect me to be the type of person who is good at board games, but I'm the guy who will never understand the rules, asks what he's supposed to do every turn and is totally unable to properly immerse himself in the game. Just thinking about it gives me cold sweats. Not sure what that says about me.
Your friends either play games which are too complicated or are terrible teachers.

I could teach you a game like splendor very quickly and it's light enough that it's easy to play when you've had a couple.

Then again, I regularly play new games and learn new rules sets.

stephen

Poker + low stakes gambling with friends is pretty great.

Still love playing Uno with the right crowd too tbh.
You should give something like Skull a go. It's all about bluffing successfully - it's what poker tries to be.

stephen

Tbf I'm including card games along with board games too. Love Letter, Anomia are really easy to learn (shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes) and get into.
6 nimmt is great too. As is arboretum but I have to be in the mood for that one since it'll annihilate your brain despite being super simple.

David

International 12th Man
6 nimmt is great too. As is arboretum but I have to be in the mood for that one since it'll annihilate your brain despite being super simple.
Yes, "Oh, arboretum is simple, I'll just do this"
Ten minutes later
"My brain hurts"

Flem274*

123/5
board games and cards are best when you're so drunk you can barely see the cards. the more drunk i am, the better i am at scum in particular.

Dan

Global Moderator
Your friends either play games which are too complicated or are terrible teachers.

I could teach you a game like splendor very quickly and it's light enough that it's easy to play when you've had a couple.

Then again, I regularly play new games and learn new rules sets.
You should give something like Skull a go. It's all about bluffing successfully - it's what poker tries to be.
I endorse Splendour, Skull and Coup mentioned above. All engaging, fairly replayable games without a steep learning curve.

Picked up one the other week - That's So Clever - that is basically everything Yahtzee tried to be. Extremely good imo.

MrPrez

I'm also heavily anti-board games, although it's more to do with the awkwardness of crowding around a board than the games themselves.

Except 30 seconds. Just a terrible, terrible game all around.

stephen

I'm also heavily anti-board games, although it's more to do with the awkwardness of crowding around a board than the games themselves.

Plenty of board games don't use a board.

I find that most people who don't like board games are basing their dislike on an antiquated view of board games. Like someone who judges video games by space invaders. There are board games out there for all tastes.

I played captain sonar recently and it's amazing. It's simple to learn and incredibly fun to play - it makes you feel like you're in the Hunt for Red October. And it's completely different from Star Realms which is a card game about throwing fleets of space ships at your friend. And that's completely different from Terra Mystica which is a fantasy game about Terraforming the world. And that's completely different from Spirit Island which is about being a great spirit who zaps English or Spanish invaders who are trying to colonize your island.

There's just so much out there these days.

Tom Halsey

Poker isn't really about bluffing though

That's just how it's portrayed in fiction
It is to some extent, in that never bluffing is a highly exploitable and bad strategy. But yeah the way it is portrayed in fiction is miles off the mark.

Dendarii

The problem with 30 Seconds is that it works with pretty much any size group, which other games don't, which is why it's so popular. I share your dislike for it, but unfortunately so many other people don't.

StephenZA

The problem with 30 Seconds is that it works with pretty much any size group, which other games don't, which is why it's so popular. I share your dislike for it, but unfortunately so many other people don't.
Many other games out there that are better than 30 secs... it is only popular in RSA because it is from RSA.

MrPrez

I didn't realise that it was from SA.

I do enjoy some of the more strategic party games that aren't actually board-centric, if that makes sense.