• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Board games

Teja.

Global Moderator
Man, where do you lucky ****ers get the sort of friends who would ready to spend hours playing board games on the weekend? Would love to try but don't think any friends who live near me would be remotely interested.

The people I know IRL who are into video games largely only play games like FIFA/PUBG which don't require an investment of time but video games are great single player experiences as well anyway.

A friend in Bangalore goes to specific coffee shop type places where people congregate to find people to play board games and they have whatsapp groups and ****. Might look for something like that in my current city for a try.

Last edited:

stephen

Man, where do you lucky ****ers get the sort of friends who would ready to spend hours playing board games on the weekend? Would love to try but don't think any friends who live near me would be remotely interested.

The people I know IRL who are into video games largely only play games like FIFA/PUBG which don't require an investment of time but video games are great single player experiences as well anyway.

A close friend in Bangalore goes to specific coffee shop type places where people congregate to find people to play board games and they have whatsapp groups and ****. Might look for something like that in my current city for a try.
It's easier to make friends out of board gamers than to turn friends into board gamers.

Having said that, you just need to find the right game to scratch the itch. Scythe odd probably a perfect introduction to video gamers who like more complicated games while you might be better off with a game like Star Realms or Railroad ink for players who are more into lighter/ faster games. For sports fans you might consider Flamme Rouge, which I've never played but it's a very highly rated cycling game. Cash n Guns might appeal to people who love to have a laugh when they play a game.

Its really about picking the right game for the group at this point. There are so many different types of games out there.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ticket To Ride is actually great as far as simple, easy-to-learn and flexible games go.

Chewie

the hardest part of ticket to ride sometimes is finding where all the old place names are on the map

Burner

I literally bought a physical copy of Doom 2016 yesterday and went to play it last night and discovered it needed 4h of downloading. I thought "That can't be right" and checked the back of the box - 55gb of hard drive space required. A DVD generally only contains around 8gb.

So I bought a game and have to download 45gb or more? Crazy. Makes reading the rules for a new board game much more tolerable.
Heh, I remember downloading a 2 GB game a lot of years ago. Took 10 days of actual download time.

Ausage

Turning video gamers into board gamers is doable. That's how my group formed. A friend insisted we have a board game night for some special occasion (his birthday iirc). He sold it well and we had a blast. Never looked back.

Like others have said, pick the right game and get people to the table by any means necessary. Make sure you're familiar with the rules, nothing more off putting for the newbie than sitting around while one person goes through a rulebook. Bring some inebriation tools if you're so inclined. The rest will work itself out.

cpr

It promised so much more than it delivered, ages spent trying to get the pitch flat otherwise the bowler would send it straight for 4, usually around mid on (Harmison in action)

Johnners

We've been playing a fair dose of Killer Bunnies, Unstable Unicorns & Sheriff of Nottingham lately.

Would certainly recommend all 3.

Dan

Global Moderator
Unstable Unicorns is brilliantly fun but stupidly unbalanced and broken. And sometimes I've gotten stuck in endless games that are pretty much impossible to end.

I love it.

stephen

Yeah ok I don't even own a copy of monopoly. I was tempted by the mario version of monopoly but then I remembered that under the good it's still monopoly.

Just buy a better game instead.

Catan is a great start if you absolutely must roll dice. But honestly even that's not even a great game any more. Scythe is a good starting point as any if you come from a video gaming background. If you're more into economic/ strategy games then Brass Birmingham is a cracker. If you're into something lighter/ less complex the arboretum is very simple to play but has really difficult decisions. Azul is one of the most accessible and beautiful games I've seen and it's a great starting point if you want something that's not a brain burner.

Bahnz

Had a few board/card game weekends recently. Agree with those who mentioned Ticket to Ride, a really fun easy to understand game with just the right amount of strategy involved to keep the gameplay varied and unpredictable.

Also have had a lot of fun playing Coup. The satisfaction of whipping out an opponent by pretending to be an assassin is hard to top.