• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Board games

StephenZA

I quite like collaborative board games, it appeals to the same part of my brain that DnD does.

Catan doesn't sit right with me and it bugs me that people hold it up as the apex of board game design because it's all strategy and little randomisation. That just means the object of the game is to scheme your way into ****ing other people over. It's like the opposite of fun.
The best part of Catan is the social aspect. Getting people to gang up on the person who they think is winning, and convincing them to trade with you instead.....

StephenZA

Puerto Rico is probably my favourite better balanced than Catan and people seem to have more fun with it.... easier to play both a 3 player and 5 player game, unlike Catan which is best with 4 players.

Dendarii

The best part of Catan is the social aspect. Getting people to gang up on the person who they think is winning, and convincing them to trade with you instead.....
What is also fun, although might not make you very popular, is to trade away one resource and then play the monopoly card...

Ausage

Board games are great. I don't know about more fun but they're certainly more social than even multiplayer video games.

Still trying to get through a Pandemic Legacy run with a few mates. All of us at an age where getting time to all be in the same location for several hours is challenging. Been stuck on November for what seems like an eternity. If you can regularly organise the same group to be in the same place it's a fantastic experience though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Think the way I'd put it is that it's much easier to get a fun social experience with board games than video games, with far fewer risks of annoyances. But the highs aren't quite as high.

Ausage

Think the way I'd put it is that it's much easier to get a fun social experience with board games than video games, with far fewer risks of annoyances. But the highs aren't quite as high.
Yeah that sounds about right.

It's also a lot less hassle than lanning. You just bring a box or two, sit down at a table and get on with it. You have to work out the rules sometimes but even that's good fun if you all approach it positively.

Uppercut

Yeah I see what you mean but I don't agree. The satisfaction from playing a board game well isn't as strong but I'd have the board game moments when you laugh so hard you can't breathe as higher highs.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah I see what you mean but I don't agree. The satisfaction from playing a board game well isn't as strong but I'd have the board game moments when you laugh so hard you can't breathe as higher highs.
I've had plenty of those moment in some shooters tbf

ripper868

+1 on the ticket to ride love. Have only had a few nights of playing it, but led to good humour/yelling between myself/mrs ripper/ brother-in-law/ BIL's partner. Plus drinks. Lotsa drinks.

stephen

A little off-topic but it's following on from a discussion that happened in this thread ages back: whoever said that physical board games are more fun than most video games these days was correct.

edit: moved out of the gaming thread
I said that but I'm going to retroactively change what I said and say that board games are better than most multiplayer video games these days. Video games are way better at the single player experience.

stephen

if I buy Ticket To Ride I can just open it up and play it. Who wants that from a game? I want to load it up and then get told to download a 7gb update and play it four days later
I literally bought a physical copy of Doom 2016 yesterday and went to play it last night and discovered it needed 4h of downloading. I thought "That can't be right" and checked the back of the box - 55gb of hard drive space required. A DVD generally only contains around 8gb.

So I bought a game and have to download 45gb or more? Crazy. Makes reading the rules for a new board game much more tolerable.

stephen

Catan - played this to death before Puerto Rico came along. I've barely played it since.

Puerto Rico - still the best game for playing with players of equal skill.

Risk - not bad for a game designed in 1959 but it has largely been superseded. Try Twilight Imperium if you have a day to spare.

Agricola is another game that hasn't been mentioned but is one that I enjoyed thoroughly. Some people won't like it because of the stress involved but it's so tight and well designed.

A Feast For Odin is a recent cracker of a game. Huge game that takes ages to play but has the satisfying Tetris feeling but as Vikings.

Railroad ink is a great recent one for chilling and drawing little railroad and highways everywhere. Its a very Zen game. You play it and bliss out.

Pandemic legacy season 1 someone mentioned earlier is a fantastic experience as well. Characters can die, cities can riot and descend into chaos. Its a great experience (No spoilers).

Kirkut

This was very popular in India, long before people could afford personal computers and play games on it.

193193991.jpeg

Test-match-3.png

Spark

Global Moderator
I literally bought a physical copy of Doom 2016 yesterday and went to play it last night and discovered it needed 4h of downloading. I thought "That can't be right" and checked the back of the box - 55gb of hard drive space required. A DVD generally only contains around 8gb.

So I bought a game and have to download 45gb or more? Crazy. Makes reading the rules for a new board game much more tolerable.
Downloaded BF5 for my laptop and it's, like, 70gb download.