• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Feminism thread

Spark

Global Moderator
Are you really contesting that wrt India? Bear in mind that Hindu nationalism is a huge and extremely nasty thing there, and the university campus culture there is strongly nationalist from what I've heard

Ausage

Are you really contesting that wrt India? Bear in mind that Hindu nationalism is a huge and extremely nasty thing there, and the university campus culture there is strongly nationalist from what I've heard
Actually you know, I think I misread that. I read it as "CW's right wingers are much more authoritarian".

Apologies to vcs if that's not what he meant.

harsh.ag

University campus culture and politics is just full of disgusting, corrupt, shallow, coercive leeches. Nationalism is what they hide behind.

Spark

Global Moderator
University campus culture and politics is just full of disgusting, corrupt, shallow, coercive leeches. Nationalism is what they hide behind.
Yeah I'm not super-aware, but from my friends in India in academia they tell me that it's pretty much the flipside of what it is stereotypically elsewhere in the Anglosphere: they have a "PC gone mad" problem, but in their case PC is "anything critical of India or Hinduism".

And, to be fair, it's not hard to wander into that stuff on Twitter. The Hindutva crowd are a nasty lot.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
No. I love you buddy. I hate the divas I encounter every now and again who try to teach me about women's rights and who actually believe in women getting more right than men, not equality. As you are not a diva, I don't hate you..

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Equal pay fight in tennis is odd though.. surely you get paid according to market demand, not equality when you are in a competitive market.. if more people watch the women's game, go ahead and pay the women more, even.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Thats an extreme edge of fourth wave feminism. Pretty much any form of ideology has whack-jobs out there, and you shouldn’t lazily judge them all by it. Whether that’s feminism, religion, politics or whatever else.

ankitj

There are fair few academic institutes of repute and integrity in India. There are many others which are privately run and have no academic/ethical standards.

harsh.ag

There are fair few academic institutes of repute and integrity in India. There are many others which are privately run and have no academic/ethical standards.
Very few imo. Even the good ones mostly produce rubbish research by grad students which is probably the most important measure for me.

vcs

Very few imo. Even the good ones mostly produce rubbish research by grad students which is probably the most important measure for me.
Yeah

IISc is good. IITs are all about churning the applicants and admitting the extraordinarily bright ones, who were always going to turn out great. Seem to care more about placement offers to undergraduates than anything else.