• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I rescued two baby squirrels, what do I feed them?

vcs

They're tiny. Hardly three inches without including the tail. Can they chew nuts?

Bijed

Quick summary from google. Bolded bit in particular stood out to me:

Baby squirrels need Pedialyte and puppy milk to grow. You can feed a baby squirrel with a bottle and it will bond to you as its “mother.” You have to keep baby squirrels warm and massage their genitals to make them pee. At six weeks, baby squirrels can eat seeds, nuts, and fruit.
The extract is from the following article, which looks like it should be pretty useful:

https://www.whatdosquirrelseat.org/baby-squirrel/

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

Okay, now I need to know what you rescued them from.

There has to be a catastrophe. Their mother died after giving birth?
A coyote attacked their mother?

Daemon

Aren't squirrels just glorified rodents anyway? Like Racoons.
They're not glorified rodents, they're rodents.

If you're asking whether they're a pest then maybe yeah. They chew on wiring, dig up trash and take up residence in your home. Not in the same ballpark as rats and racoons though obviously. Plus they're super cute.

Starfighter

Aren't squirrels just glorified rodents anyway? Like Racoons.
Funny you say that in jest. Squirrels are rodents, while raccoons are derived carnivores and phylogenetically ages away.

But yes, if you wish you can say squirrels are just glorified rats.

vcs

Okay, now I need to know what you rescued them from.

There has to be a catastrophe. Their mother died after giving birth?
A coyote attacked their mother?
No coyotes where I live. They were squealing under a tree in my house with no sign of mother around. There are a couple of cats that prowl around, so I put them in a box and brought them in for the night, and will try getting them back under that tree tomorrow. Maybe she'll come back for them.

Gnske

Funny you say that in jest. Squirrels are rodents, while raccoons are derived carnivores and phylogenetically ages away.

But yes, if you wish you can say squirrels are just glorified rats.
It was meant in jest, but I realised after it was one of the better questions I've ever asked.

Didn't know that about Racoons though, so you actually made me learn something.