• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

News related stuff that doesn't really deserve it's own thread

Spark

Global Moderator
This should probably go in the science thread I know, but let's be honest this is political these days

Increasing Intensity of Strong Atlantic Hurricanes

Science gets validated through predictions. Using satellite derived wind speed estimates from tropical cyclones Elsner, Kossin, and Jagger (2008) showed that the strongest hurricanes got stronger in the period 1981-2006. In particular, they found that 15% (85th quantile) of all named storms across the North Atlantic had wind speeds exceeding 48.9 m/s (Table 1) with an upward trend of .63 m/s/yr in this quantile wind speed. They related this increase to a corresponding rise in ocean temperatures consistent with theory (Emanuel 1988). The oceans have continued to warm since that paper was published so we would predict that the upward trend in the intensity of the strongest hurricanes has continued.

Spark

Global Moderator
Looks like, once again, the Kurds are going to be comprehensively sold down the river by the Americans once again.

"But why do they keep asking the Russians and Iranians for help?"

In the meantime, a full blown revolt is brewing in Iraq.

Last edited:

Niall

So it's possibly more of a distraction away from impeachment talk?
He gets on well with Erdogan and Syria bores him.

I doubt its a distraction from impeachment talk and if so not a clever idea as those hawk Republican senators who he needs were seething today.

It seems to have united both parties and Mitch and Pelosi are fuming, expect this to be overturned.

Spark

Global Moderator
If you wanted to construct the circumstances to make it easy as possible for a massive ethnic cleansing to take place, you couldn't do better than this.

Redbacks

what? surely the american public would want turkey nuked at minimum for this?
The US has 50 warheads stored in Turkey for them. Pretty close ally which is being reported as a potential reason Trump doesn't want to support one of their enemies now that ISIS is in check.

Spark

Global Moderator
I thought there would be massive uproar when Russia shot down MH17 too. This stuff doesn't really land any more. I think people are only ever up to 95% certain in the news nowadays, and don't think that's enough to support any kind of confrontational policy.
Hold on, didn't that lead to Russia being booted from the G7 and some sanctions? Infinitely more compared to this, and I do think that at least soured a lot of people on Russia in general because no one wants to be turned into mince meat at 30000ft.

Flem274*

123/5
it does make for an amusing flight path when your plane passes through armenia then dives south for turkish airspace to avoid the black sea.

Spark

Global Moderator
it does make for an amusing flight path when your plane passes through armenia then dives south for turkish airspace to avoid the black sea.
Connecting through Doha few months back made for some interesting flight paths, what with having to avoid UAE and Saudi airspace and all.