• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

News related stuff that doesn't really deserve it's own thread

Flem274*

123/5
stay safe zorax. we haven't yet educated you on all the ways you are wrong about everything so you're not allowed to get hurt.

zorax

likes this
The tear gas and police/protesters clashes have already begun. Usually they wait for sunset, but it's an exceptional day today

Companies/shops/business that hadn't already closed up due to the strikes started closing up as the day progressed. Many of the employees sent home just turned around and joint the various rallies/assemblies/marches/protests all around HK.

Traffic has stalled to a near stop. Public transport has shut down in a lot of regions. Road are occupied all over the country with tear gas having been used in 5 (might now be 6) locations already.

Carrie Lam's press conference earlier today didn't help one iota, and the police press conference after that mentioned that 82 people have already been arrested today itself.

Hundreds of flights to and from HK have been cancelled.

historic day this.

duffer

Was going to post that in the 'say something positive thread' but thought against it.

Suicide, apparently.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Someone tried to shoot up a mosque in Norway. Apparently they only managed to hurt one person before getting overpowered.

zorax

likes this
**** staying safe, I want to be out there with them

But yea got family and a good career and too much to lose if I get arrested or shot in the eye with a rubber bullet

China has already started trying to crack down on the freedom of expression. All Cathay cabin crew who have taken part in the protest have now been banned from flights to China by the Chinese Civil Aviation Authority. They have also made it mandatory that all CX cabin crew hand in their phones for checking when they arrive in China, otherwise they won't get their travel permits back

Fun stuff. Can't wait till they decide to start arresting people based on Facebook posts and WhatsApp messages

zorax

likes this
We've also already had off duty police officers arrest someone for buying laser pointers. Their reasoning? Laser pointers have been used by protesters to distract the riot police during clashes. This one student activitist was buying 10 of them. When cornered by 5 angry plain-clothed men in the market, he ran, and after being chased down he couldn't offer a good explanation for buying them. Therefore, he just have wanted to use them at the protests, and thus these laser pointers are now an offensive weapon, and he was arrested on the charge of possessing offensive weapons.

The next day, HKers bought out all the laser pointers they could find and has the prettiest protest I've ever seen:

https://international.thenewslens.com/article/123215

Tonight was the first time we saw police officers dressed as protesters join the protests to arrest the actual protesters.

Let's not forget the number of journalists and innocent bystanders that have been assaulted, tear gassed and arrested by these untrained, unprofessional, clearly very scared and angry cops.

Sigh.

zorax

likes this
Oh, and 100s of protesters arrested, several dozen charged, but so far none of the men who attacked innocent people in the MTR with bamboo sticks and iron rods have been charged with anything.

The off duty cops will arrest a kid buying laser pointers, but when questioned why the police present at the scene didn't even stop the MTR thugs when they saw them leaving the station, they said it's because they did not consider sticks and rods to be offensive weapons

Good stuff.

Daemon

China casually threatening them with the not so subtle riot drills is really scary.

I’d really advise against joining the protests, even if I agree with the principle behind them. Those people who’ve been charged? The seriousness of what might happen to them hasn’t fully sunk in yet for most people. Frightening what might happen.

zorax

likes this
Staying silent and not supporting the protesters just means that the crackdown on them will happen sooner and be more brutal.

The longer this goes on and the more people that are involved, the safer it is for them

If these protests fail to bring about any of the 5 demands, and if those involved end up having their lives ruined because of it, it will basically be the death of HK to me.

The government here used to serve the people. It does not anymore and all this has made it blatantly clear.

zorax

likes this
like I get the need to arrest the protesters that have blocked roads, attacked police and carried out acts of vandalism, but this is just excessive:

And it's shocking because we know the government has already said they won't be carrying out an independent investigation into police brutality.

They said the existing Independent Police Complaints Commission (https://www.ipcc.gov.hk/en/home/index.html) will handle all these issues, but of course given it's a government body with ties to the police people don't have faith in it. Then again, if the government does set up another committee to look into this stuff, i'm sure people won't trust that either.