• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Obituary Column

wpdavid

Neil, Innes has died, apparently unexpectedly. I actually saw him at the Royal Albert Hall in October, supporting the Bootleg Beatles. He was in very good form, so this has come as quite a shock. Seems as good a time as any to dig out The Rutles again.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Vale.

Genuinely a hugely talented songwriter. Some of his Rutles' pastiches (actually "pastiches" rather sells them short, they're quality Beatlesesque tunes in their own right) are rather wonderful. It's great fun trying to work out which Fab original in being gently sent up, if one's of a mildly nerdy disposition.

Famously copped a co-writing credit on Oasis' Whatever because Noel nicked the tune from Innes's How Sweet to be an Idiot.

andmark

Derek Acorah's died. I don't know whether to mourn and say RIP or try to channel his spirit to definitively prove the existence of ghosts and win a Nobel Prize.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Once saw a bloke get off a burglary charge because he said he was looking for ghosts, having been inspired by Derek Acorah.

Right shambles that was.

fredfertang

Once saw a bloke get off a burglary charge because he said he was looking for ghosts, having been inspired by Derek Acorah.

Right shambles that was.
I had a client who ran a very similar defence to that once - he crashed and burned though, which I suppose says something about the quality of his representation

Dendarii

Neil Peart has died - apparently he's had brain cancer for the past few years. I know that Rush were pretty much done, but I still did have a smidgeon of hope that they'd still do something, even if it was just once-off, but that puts an end to that hope.

Arachnodouche

So many of my musical heroes have died these last ten years but this is still very harsh news, right up there with the passing of Lemmy and Mark Shelton. One of the most musical drummers I have ever heard, despite the overwhelmingly technical approach he had towards the drums, and quite unparalleled as a lyricist. Even the lesser records contain nothing but impeccable writing. A very private, intelligent, and inquisitive man, who rebounded from humbling personal losses with courage and class. Rest well, Ghost Rider.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, a great of British comedy and a talented writer and director. Always seemed a thumping good egg to boot.

“He’s not the Messiah. He’s a very naughty boy.”

Grasshopper

Monty Python (and before them The Goon Show and Peter and Dudley) were a hugely enjoyable and influential part of my childhood. RIP, Brian's Mum.