• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 5th Test at the SCG

mr_mister

also, both Marshes and Usman must be in awesome moods knowing they've justified their selections and then some with those centuries

It must be 10 ecstatic players and only Bancroft in a bittersweet mood. Probably more bitter than sweet as well

stephen

This Ashes series seems to be the least popular that this forum in memory. I wonder if it's because the members who signed up ten years ago in their 20s are now in their 30s with more life commitments.

Our maybe Blocky drove them all away.

social

This Ashes series seems to be the least popular that this forum in memory. I wonder if it's because the members who signed up ten years ago in their 20s are now in their 30s with more life commitments.

From my perspective, it has been relatively dull since early doors as the result was almost a foregone conclusion and the cricket hasn't been great to watch either

Lack of big personalities hasn't helped either

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

It's also been pretty boring to watch tbh

SteveNZ

I say it every series but the umpires call concept ****ing sucks.
Yep. A policeman doesn't arrive at a crime scene, quickly sum the evidence, choose the murderer then have the jury base their verdict around this despite mountains more time and evidence...so why does cricket. Dunno if the analogy works but the basis is there, why base the decision around a snap decision when you have significant more technology and time.

Burgey

From my perspective, it has been relatively dull since early doors as the result was almost a foregone conclusion and the cricket hasn't been great to watch either

Lack of big personalities hasn't helped either
Pitches haven’t helped. Brisbane slower than usual and Melbourne a complete dirge. At least the ball came into the bat in Perth.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yep. A policeman doesn't arrive at a crime scene, quickly sum the evidence, choose the murderer then have the jury base their verdict around this despite mountains more time and evidence...so why does cricket. Dunno if the analogy works but the basis is there, why base the decision around a snap decision when you have significant more technology and time.
Probably because we don't lock a batsman up for a few decades if the umpire gets it wrong.

Top_Cat

Also seems a concession to the authority of umpires, that they're always in charge and DRS assists them in making the best decision. If responsibility for the decision is handed entirely over to the off-field umpires, gotta ask what the hell they're even doing out there.

Which is, tbh, a fair question. Their job at international level basically seems to be to holding jumpers, adding theatre to the DRS reviews and drawing squares in the air. Can barely remember any umpire giving a run-out or stumping even when the guy is a metre out.

vcs

Ashes 2019 will draw even less attention because the World Cup will be the marquee event of the summer. Could actually turn out to be a really good series without the over-the-top buildup that usually precedes the Ashes.

Pothas

Being shotless against something sailing over the stumps isn't the worst thing I guess. Prefer that to Vince who has a wide range of ways to nick the same ball through to the keeper.

Haven't watched much of him tbf, what exactly is the problem? Just hanging his bat out to them?
They have pretty much the exact same record this series though, both should be dropped really.

Stoneman had played 8 Tests now, his highest score is 56 and he is 30 years old, can't really see any reason to keep him in the side.

Black_Warrior

Because it's just not a great series. It's not exciting, does not have a contest, and the only thing to check was whether it would be 5-0 or 4-0. And since we have had the exact same scenario in 2013-14, 5 Tests of the same story is just too long and bloated. Think of the Fast and Furious movies that they keep making every year. It's the exact same movie with the same action and same thrills with same actors over and over and over again and it just does not have the entertainment value anymore. No one gets excited about Fast and Furious 14 with Diesel and Johnson yet again.