• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Open relationships

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
On the topic of open relationships, I definitely could not do one. At least the me that I know from past relationships couldn't, it's actually been quite a while since I was in a proper one. I have come a long way in the personal maturity stakes but until you're thrown in the fire you just don't know.

hendrix

IIRC I didn't really say i was pro open relationship, i just said it's something I'm considering and thought might work for me. It's still not something I've tried

Iirc I had quite a lengthy discussion with Adders about why he was staying in a dead marriage and I've been pleased to see that they both seem to be doing better off apart. Which is probably where the general point is for most people - just break up if you really wanna **** other people. So yeah i still don't really have an opinion on actual open relationships.

Daemon

Yeah, on a purely emotional level, I don't think I would be able to cope with it. Like, at all. I mean, I googled the girl I am dating a bit at the moment the other day, and it brought up a Daily Mail article covering how her previous partner extravagantly proposed to her. Even seeing that (totally irrationally) made me feel sad and uncomfortable.

On a purely practical level though, all other concerns aside, I just don't think I could be arsed. Sounds more or less like being as close to the definition of "more trouble than it's worth" than most other things I can think of.
Right enough about your feelings, tell us about the Daily Mail article

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
IIRC I didn't really say i was pro open relationship, i just said it's something I'm considering and thought might work for me. It's still not something I've tried

Iirc I had quite a lengthy discussion with Adders about why he was staying in a dead marriage and I've been pleased to see that they both seem to be doing better off apart. Which is probably where the general point is for most people - just break up if you really wanna **** other people. So yeah i still don't really have an opinion on actual open relationships.
Yeah I remember the Adders posts, which is why it was no major surprise when he said he'd moved on.

Someone find the thread ffs, I want to roll my eyes at zorax again

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I am a little confused by this comment. Monogamy and divorce do not seem contradictory to me?
My interpretation of monogamy is not static at a point in time; it implies faith and trust in the person you're having the relationship with, and to a certain extent forgiveness for flaws that will be apparent once you have lived together for long enough, and they usually (not always) break down precisely because one of the two wants a different sexual relationship with impunity. There's a reason vows make you say "till death to us part". Divorce has sort of developed to accommodate this, accepting that this promise will quite often turn out to be a fiction because there are valid reasons to break off a monogamous relationship, but the ideal has remained (for reasons much too complex for a forum post), and that process of realizing that, no, actually, this cannot go on is extremely painful to go through.

In the other part of my post I was hinting at the way some people use an "open relationship" to indicate they want out, but don't have the courage to break it off completely. That way is extremely bad and probably explains a lot of why open relationships have such a bad name. But many people in open relationships have realized that they are not built for the monogamous trust model, and so are trying to build a life together with multiple people without having to cut off their earlier relationship, preferably with as clear and transparent communication as possible (which is ridiculously hard work tbf).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
My interpretation of monogamy is not static at a point in time; it implies faith and trust in the person you're having the relationship with, and to a certain extent forgiveness for flaws that will be apparent once you have lived together for long enough, and they usually (not always) break down precisely because one of the two wants a different sexual relationship with impunity. There's a reason vows make you say "till death to us part". Divorce has sort of developed to accommodate this, accepting that this promise will quite often turn out to be a fiction because there are valid reasons to break off a monogamous relationship, but the ideal has remained (for reasons much too complex for a forum post), and that process of realizing that, no, actually, this cannot go on is extremely painful to go through.

In the other part of my post I was hinting at the way some people use an "open relationship" to indicate they want out, but don't have the courage to break it off completely. That way is extremely bad and probably explains a lot of why open relationships have such a bad name. But many people in open relationships have realized that they are not built for the monogamous trust model, and so are trying to build a life together with multiple people without having to cut off their earlier relationship, preferably with as clear and transparent communication as possible (which is ridiculously hard work tbf).
A very sagacious post, if I may be so bold.

I've no experience of an open relationship, but what you say does have the ring of verisimilitude about it; a lot of open relationships are just band aids for folk who (for whatever reason) don't want to knock formerly monogamous relationships on the head.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Right enough about your feelings, tell us about the Daily Mail article
it's basically a synopsis of how matey boy set up an elaborate secret cinema screening that involved her fave films being mashed into some montage or something or other, and then dancers everywhere, leading to proposal, and how romantic and thoughtful it was etc. etc.

standard puff piece

zorax

likes this
it's basically a synopsis of how matey boy set up an elaborate secret cinema screening that involved her fave films being mashed into some montage or something or other, and then dancers everywhere, leading to proposal, and how romantic and thoughtful it was etc. etc.

standard puff piece
did she say yes

BoyBrumby

Englishman

standard puff piece
Gotta say I'm itching to know why she dumped him.

If I were a betting man I'd guess either "suffocatingly possessive", "repressed homosexual" or a combination thereof figure in the reasons somewhere.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Gotta say I'm itching to know why she dumped him.

If I were a betting man I'd guess either "suffocatingly possessive", "repressed homosexual" or a combination thereof figure in the reasons somewhere.
I believe it was the former.

I generally don't ask about this sort of thing, but have heard plenty of "fed up of having to try to be something I am not, not living life how I want to" etc.

honestbharani

Plus side is though there's no way you could be as big a wanker as that.

I don't want to derail the thread, but I'm always deeply suspicious of couples (or, more often, one member thereof) who feel as if they have to make a big show of their love for the whole world to see.

cf: Tom Cruise on Oprah. We all know whatsherface from Dawson's Creek just wasn't his type and there was was, ****-eating grin, jumping up onto a sofa.

You must hate like 90% of social media that is not about politics then. :p

honestbharani

Lol, I know its not probably a true resemblance but the first person I thought of after seeing that pic is Jeff Jarrett. :laugh: