• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Political Correctness Gone Mad

Anil

yeah this is some new **** about gandhi that someone on this sub-forum brought up recently...

Burgey

Look, I don't disagree with you btw. If we're only going to erect statues to the pure, then it'll be down to Jesus and Buddha I suppose.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
not to #actually but #actually I don't think a bit of historical re-evaluation wrt Gandhi is the worst thing tbh.
I was waiting for the article to talk about sleeping in bed with young girls thing but no, they just focused on racism.

Teja.

Global Moderator
While I agree that Gandhi’s history should’nt be exempt from a good dig, racism is the weirdest angle to go about it. His extreme chastity tests are weird but not notable parts of his legacy imo.

Ambedkar on Gandhi is a good start: https://youtube.com/watch?v=_FNSQcEx02A

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Not to mention his love of nuking his enemies in sneak attacks.
yessssss

While I agree that Gandhi’s history should’nt be exempt from a good dig, racism is the weirdest angle to go about it. His extreme chastity tests are weird but not notable parts of his legacy imo.

Ambedkar on Gandhi is a good start: https://youtube.com/watch?v=_FNSQcEx02A
Honestly much of his entire philosophy and approach looks somewhat dubious when you inspect it closely. But yeah the racial prejudice thing is neither here nor there tbh.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

He was a weird bloke who did a ton of great things but also had some questionable beliefs.

This whole "you need to have been absolutely perfect in every way every day of your life to get a statue" thing is bollocks. Imagine how boring it'd be to have Kane Williamson statues all over the place.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yeah I believe the crux of the critique should be about sociopathic handling of the issues of marginalised people in India where he promised them the sun to get them to support the freedom struggle (which many were hesitant to due to their treatment under the caste system) but later sold them down the river at the time of negotiations with the British.

He constantly told people what they wanted to hear in their own language contradicting himself often, to get them to come under a united banner.

I agree he was a great man but sort of in the way that Alexander was a great man imo.

Gnske

Yeah I believe the crux of the critique should be about sociopathic handling of the issues of marginalised people in India where he promised them the sun to get them to support the freedom struggle (which many were hesitant to due to their treatment under the caste system) but later sold them down the river at the time of negotiations with the British.

He constantly told people what they wanted to hear in their own language contradicting himself often, to get them to come under a united banner.

I agree he was a great man but sort of in the way that Alexander was a great man imo.
Alexander was a pioneer of LGBT rights according to every movie I've seen though.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Honestly much of his entire philosophy and approach looks somewhat dubious when you inspect it closely. But yeah the racial prejudice thing is neither here nor there tbh.
I remember first reading about that years back, but honestly, it seemed like given his age at the time and the age he was living in, it seemed like he was trying to be a good British subject moving his career forward. People can change their attitudes and beliefs.

However, his chastity tests once in full #freedom swing is far less easy to explain away.

Uppercut

Pragmatism is so unfashionable these days.

StephenZA

I would like to know the students that started this.... the last time was over Rhodes at Oxford, and that was started by SA students studying in UK who brought it over from UCT and Wits.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Statues of people are boring anyway. There should be more statues of animals. Much more interesting and thought-provoking. There used to be a big Sonic the Hedgehog statue in the Galleria in Hatfield and it was great. About the only good thing in the entire town.

Though doubtless some conscientious soul would find a reason to object to this as well.