• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australian politics thread

Burgey

ok

Probably your worst point was comparing the Australian with the SMH, as though the latter is somehow a left wing counter to the former. Kinda hilarious. It's run by Peter Costello ffs. Also, no one actually reads the Australian.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
remember kids, if you believe literally all the reputable economic evidence re: the link between migration and economic growth, wage growth, aggregate demand and unemployment then you’re just a propagandist and a shill for real estate agents

Spark

Global Moderator
you know what actually, objectively makes life harder for immigrants? innumerate evidence free trash like “accepting <1% of your population level each year as migrants is the reason the economy is **** for young people” leading to bullshit like me having to save well over $15k for the apparently generation-destroying privilege of allowing my postgrad-educated partner to move to australia because they’ll apparently leech off the infrastructure and use up all the water resources of a catchment in which they don’t even live.

Flem274*

123/5
despite likely disagreeing with you starfighter, id be willing to read that if i wasn't so lazy. is there a short version in the works?

Starfighter

remember kids, if you believe literally all the reputable economic evidence re: the link between migration and economic growth, wage growth, aggregate demand and unemployment then you’re just a propagandist and a shill for real estate agents
I'd have an discussion/argument over this, but I think our views on economics (both its theories and its worth as a whole) are too different to ever come even close to understanding each other's view points, let alone agreeing on anything. Needless to say I have read plenty such papers and considered them.

Starfighter

despite likely disagreeing with you starfighter, id be willing to read that if i wasn't so lazy. is there a short version in the works?
>costs on an individual level from our historically high levels of immigration are greater than the benefits
>effect on our current labour market is deleterious due to our high level of available labour compared to job creation
>certain industries which benefit from it have an outsize influence

That's pretty much it.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd have an discussion/argument over this, but I think our views on economics (both its theories and its worth as a whole) are too different to ever come even close to understanding each other's view points, let alone agreeing on anything. Needless to say I have read plenty such papers and considered them.
Then I will make it very blunt.

Annotation 2020-05-24 205535.png

There is no reasonable interpretation of economics, data, state capacity, sociology, whatever that regards the red as reasonable and controlled and the blue as massively unsustainable when environmental carrying capacity caps are still ~1/2 an order of magnitude away at least.

Burgey

you know what actually, objectively makes life harder for immigrants? innumerate evidence free trash like “accepting <1% of your population level each year as migrants is the reason the economy is **** for young people” leading to bullshit like me having to save well over $15k for the apparently generation-destroying privilege of allowing my postgrad-educated partner to move to australia because they’ll apparently leech off the infrastructure and use up all the water resources of a catchment in which they don’t even live.
Sounds about right

Flem274*

123/5
>costs on an individual level from our historically high levels of immigration are greater than the benefits
>effect on our current labour market is deleterious due to our high level of available labour compared to job creation
>certain industries which benefit from it have an outsize influence

That's pretty much it.
ok so the winston peters stance then.

what if immigrants are doing the jobs born australians don't want to do, or are not producing people for (to be blunt, the likes of dairies and also high skill shortages)?

how do you respond to immigrants coming to aus to create their own businesses (dairies, takeaway shops, foreign cuisine restaurants etc)? these create greater consumer choice, expand the economy and have historically always been minimum wage or just above. would wages here not benefit more from a minimum wage increase rather than a reduction of immigration?

Starfighter

what if immigrants are doing the jobs born australians don't want to do, or are not producing people for (to be blunt, the likes of dairies and also high skill shortages)?

how do you respond to immigrants coming to aus to create their own businesses (dairies, takeaway shops, foreign cuisine restaurants etc)? these create greater consumer choice, expand the economy and have historically always been minimum wage or just above. would wages here not benefit more from a minimum wage increase rather than a reduction of immigration?
Can we do this in VMs please?

Burgey

Worry about your own country, ****. We don't need your lot

Burgey

The only good thing to come out of Covid19 is it's killed off Super Rugby in Australia.

TBF it was certainly on its last legs anyway, and was in a high risk category as elderly, poor and with pre-existing heart problems.